Skipping ruins in Ephesus/Athens?

I am doing an Eastern Med cruise in June on the Reflection, but I am not into ruins at all. I am mostly interested in the beauty of the coastlines, shopping, and good food. I am considering skipping Ephesus and just exploring Kusadasi coastal restaurants and maybe pigeon island. However the reviews of Ephesus are across the board excellent. Would it be a mistake to skip Ephesus? On that same note, would a drive by view of the Acropolis be sufficient in Athens with a focus on Plaka shopping?

Thanks for any advice.

If you are interested in beauty, don't sell short the beauty of these ancient places -- there is a reason why they are a "must see".

If you have a full day in both places, there is not any reason why you couldn't spend a few hours seeing these iconic sites and then spending the remainder shopping, eating, or whatever you like....

I know it is a case of "to each his own", but I have been to Athens multiple times and have not found the Plaka to be that exciting. It's very touristy and aside from expensive jewelry, a lot of the souvenirs aren't so great (and tend to not vary much from store to store....) However, I will visit the Acropolis over and over.

Same with Kusadasi -- lots of knock offs and high pressure sales of rugs, ceramics, etc. While I agree it is pleasant to have a nice meal on the water there -- maybe some mezzes, grilled fresh fish and an Efes beer or two -- that still only takes at most a couple of hours.

Edited by cruisemom42

I have visited loads of ruins all over Europe and the Middle East and would say that Ephesus are some of the best preserved, spectacular and most interesting. I think it would be an atrocity not to go there. I have been to Kusadasi a few times on a land holiday and it is not very spectacular.

Would I choose shopping over visiting the Acroplis? Definitely not. I don't know where else you are visiting on your cruise, but I am sure you will have time for shopping elsewhere. Athens isn't particularly renowned for high end shopping, unless you want a fur coat. The tourist tat is available everywhere in Greece.

If there are two places in the world where you should not skip the ruins, that would be Athens and Ephesus. Ephesus is a whole city. You will be amazed when you tour the "apartments."

The Parthenon is exquisite and the view from the Acropolis is amazing.

Don't shortchange this experience. You will still have plenty of time for souvenirs (made in China) in both places. The sites are unforgettable. The shopping, not so much.

While I LOVE LOVE LOVE beautiful scenery, shopping and good food…… we have combined those things very nicely with a vistit to the ruins all in one day.

We are headed back to both Athens and Kusadasi in a few weeks….. having been to both 3 times before. We will again visit Ephesus, head to Sirince for some shopping and sightseeing while enjoying the beautiful countryside. We will also spend some time at the market (we got a GREAT deal on 2 leather coats there) and also enjoying some great Turkish food near the port.

In Athens we will head to the Acropolis first thing and hopefully get on top before anyone else AGAIN like we did last time !!!!! Talk about views !!!!! There is something awe inspiring about these ruins…… old, battered yet they have survived. As for Athens having other views….not so much in the city. Shopping in the Plaka can be touristy but there are some hidden gems….. nice leather purses being one. And we always make time to have a nice lunch there too. Always try to "try" something new and different…….

My point is - you can do all of the above in one day. Plan well and enjoy.

If you really aren't bothered about the Acropolis in Athens, consider the new museum at its foot, where most of the statues are displayed. It's

a) air conditioned

and

b) within walking distance of the plaka.

I am doing an Eastern Med cruise in June on the Reflection, but I am not into ruins at all. I am mostly interested in the beauty of the coastlines, shopping, and good food. I am considering skipping Ephesus and just exploring Kusadasi coastal restaurants and maybe pigeon island. However the reviews of Ephesus are across the board excellent. Would it be a mistake to skip Ephesus? On that same note, would a drive by view of the Acropolis be sufficient in Athens with a focus on Plaka shopping?

Thanks for any advice.

Last year we visited Piraeus, Greece on the Regal Princess. We have visited Athens a number of times and wanted to see something different. We booked a day trip with Konstantinos Xylouris of PK Travel and he took us to Cape Sounion. It was a beautiful day. We looked at Vouliagmeni Spa and had a leisurely drive along the coast to Cape Sounion. We took some awesome photos of the landscape, the coastline and the temple at Sounion then we drove back, stopping off at Ta Kalamia at Attika for a fresh fish lunch. This is the second time that Konstantinos has been our driver and I can't recommend him highly enough. Having got to know what we like, he has devised a list of alternative places to see next time we are in Greece.

As to Kusadasi, we have visited a number of times on cruises and decided to take a taxi to the Virgin Mary's House near Epheseus, rather than the ruins. We found a number of taxi companies by the tourist information. I think we used Kusadasi Taxi. I also asked to see how carpets were made and the driver took us to his uncle's workshop. They were very patient and although the owner was persistent, he accepted our refusal to buy. We were also taken to a leather workshop and had numerous photo stops along the way.

Believe me, in both Greece and Turkey there are many things to see in addition to ruins and most local taxi drivers will have suggestions if you ask. You should ALWAYS agree a price and basic itinerary with the taxi driver BEFORE you get in the taxi. I base the maximum price that I am prepared to pay, on the prices charged by the cruise ship and my budget. If I can't strike the right/fair deal I walk away. Give off the beaten track a try...it works for us!

Interesting post by the OP. Shopping in Athens is pretty good, but the Plaka would be low on the list of the best places to shop...although it is sure popular with tourists. As to Kusadasi, there is a pretty decent bazaar (shopping) area that starts right across the street from the port.

Regarding ruins, you cannot really "drive by" the Acropolis since its on a hill overlooking downtown Athens. You can see the Acropolis from most places within the city. Having trekked up to Acropolis a few times it is a place we can take or leave. It would be more enjoyable if the Greeks ever finished their work and took down the scaffolds and cranes. But when it comes to Ephesus we think of these ruins with almost a religious fervor! We have seen ruins all over the world and Ephesus ranks up there in the top 3 (and I would hesitate to list which other ruins would also be in our top 3).

Hank

I am doing an Eastern Med cruise in June on the Reflection, but I am not into ruins at all. I am mostly interested in the beauty of the coastlines, shopping, and good food. I am considering skipping Ephesus and just exploring Kusadasi coastal restaurants and maybe pigeon island. However the reviews of Ephesus are across the board excellent. Would it be a mistake to skip Ephesus? On that same note, would a drive by view of the Acropolis be sufficient in Athens with a focus on Plaka shopping? Thanks for any advice.

As wisely noted by other earlier posters, there is so much to see, experience and love in Ephesus and Athens. Why? Can you prove it? Below is some of my "evidence" in visual format from my photo files.

Much of Athens is only so-so and a little on the "third-world" side. BUT, in and around the Acropolis and Plaka can be very amazing. Especially when up, UP on the historic top with the great views around Athens and the nearby areas. Not all shopping in the Plaka is perfect, but there are some interesting shops there. For the Plaka, it is the "show" of the people, activities, music, people eating and drinking, etc., etc.

Seeing these sites is amazing, especially when you considered what it took to get the materials there, building them, their design details, etc.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 196,633 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

Here is the wider view as we enjoyed a night concert in front of the historic library at Ephesus with the sun getting ready to set. This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

NightLibrary.jpg

On Athens’ Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide we lined up at the site, she helped us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there at this famed site going back 700 years before Christ.:

OnAcrop.jpg

This is the Odeon of Herodes Atticus outdoor stone theatre structure located on the south slope of the Acropolis in Athens. It was built in 161 AD by the Athenian power Herodes Atticus. It was originally a steep-sloped amphitheater with a three-story stone front wall and a wooden roof made of expensive, cedar of Lebanon timber. We saw an opera here during our three-day visit to Athens before starting our cruise. It is also used as a venue for music concerts with a capacity of 5,000.:

OutdoorTheatre.jpg

At night in Plaka! Lots of fun, food, drinks, music and shopping there:

PlakaNight.jpg

I have visited loads of ruins all over Europe and the Middle East and would say that Ephesus are some of the best preserved, spectacular and most interesting. I think it would be an atrocity not to go there. I have been to Kusadasi a few times on a land holiday and it is not very spectacular.

Would I choose shopping over visiting the Acroplis? Definitely not. I don't know where else you are visiting on your cruise, but I am sure you will have time for shopping elsewhere. Athens isn't particularly renowned for high end shopping, unless you want a fur coat. The tourist tat is available everywhere in Greece.

My thoughts, exactly!

I can never tire of those beautiful places! When I look at your pix, I feel like I am there again! Thanks J

ksps: Thanks for replies! Thank you all for your replies' date=' especially the amazing pictures! I am convinced to check out these ruins now! Leaving 9 weeks from tomorrow! [/quote']

Appreciate these nice comments on the pictures. Glad that our original poster is now excited and understands the beauty/charm for these wonderful historic areas. Below are a few more of my visuals to help build up the excitement for this "adventure". Good luck for your upcoming and getting-close-to-reality journey.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 105,065 views for this posting.

On top adjoining the Parthenon is Erechtheion, a small temple built between 421 and 405 BC.. All of the female statues that serve as columns in the porch of the Erechtheion are replicas. Five of the originals were removed for display in the Acropolis Museum to protect them from the air pollution of Athens. The sixth was "borrowed" (or looted) by Elgin for display in London. on the north side of the Acropolis of Athens in Greece. Its name is dedicated to the Greek hero Erichthonius, mythological early ruler of ancient Athens who born of the soil or Earth and raised by the goddess Athena.:

TempleOnAcrHill.jpg

From Acropolis Hill, a view towards the old Olympic Stadium in Athens, other Roman ruins. This includes at the bottom, Hadrian's Arch, a monumental gateway resembling a Roman triumphal arch.:

AthOlymStadium.jpg

Nearby to our hotel in the Plaka is this cute shop with a wide variety of statutes and other reproductions reflecting the great Greek artistic traditions. My wife is pictured with the shop owners. They were very helpful and had a wide selection of options. We bought a couple of nice items that are in our home daily as a reminder of our wonderful visit to Greece.:

AthensRelicShopStatutes.jpg

At Ephesus, architectural details on its famed library building:

LibraryDetails.jpg

Another area for seeing added ruins at Ephesus:

RuinsAdded.jpg

Even in Roman days, they needed “latrines” with these multiple toilets:

EphCrapper.jpg

I'll admit I've seen all the ruins I care to see at this point in my life. Here are two other suggestions (but then I am NOT a shopper). In Kusadasi we went to a haman - great experience. In Athens there is a wonderful museum of icons and other items from the Byzantine era. These are not what you usually think of when you picture and icon but an amazing assortment of elaborate paintings - like a 4 X 4 ft wodden board with like 20 Biblical scenes painted tiny tiny. Unbelievable - google the Byzantine museum in Athens - afterwards you could find a nice place for lunch.

FWIW my kids who were 13, 11 and 7 at the time were so ruined out and forever remembered the comedian's comment about all we did every day was climb over fallen rocks and buy junk....

Its 7 years later and they all feel so fortunate to have taken those numbing excursion to "ruins" even on those hot crazy days....

It is a difficult choice as to unique and iconic ruins of western history, local eats, or shopping ( for shopping I'd say stay away from the tourist shopping if you can )!

Defiantly go to Ephesus, I made our party go last year and they were so thankful I pushed them.

Athens I would say take the hop on hop off bus from the port gate then you can decide if you want to go inside the acropolis once you get there. The bus is a great option as there are many things to get off for and we saw the changing if the guards which was excellent

If you really aren't bothered about the Acropolis in Athens, consider the new museum at its foot, where most of the statues are displayed. It's

a) air conditioned

and

b) within walking distance of the plaka.

Totally agree, fantastic museum:) But be warned.....women, or those men who wear kilts, there are a lot of glass floors, wear appropriate clothing. We'll be back there in about 6 weeks on the Emerald Princess;)

As for Ephesus, been a couple times, well worth seeing once. Was not impressed how they just put one piece of marble/rubble on top of another. A very bad jig saw puzzle....but there are some impresive areas, latrine, theatre and library to name a few.

Paul

Edited by Tickle

• 3 weeks later...

With the right planning you can do both. We visited the Acropolis and Ancient Agora and also had time for shopping in the plaka. We visited Ephesus and then went shopping in Sirince. I also thought I might be on ancient ruins "overload" but was VERY happy to have seen all the sights we did. If you go to Ephesus the terrace houses are a must!

I am not a ruins person at all but Ephesus was truly amazing!!

I was so excited for athens but after Ephesus, I would skip the ruins in Athens and shop in the plaka!! If u have time you can always walk up to the Acropolis as it is close.

Ephesus was amazing, Kasadasi was tacky & touristy. It would be a huge mistake to not go to Ephesus and do the terrace houses too (they are air conditioned that alone makes it worth while).

• 1 month later...

I agree with all that you cannot be in this area of the world and NOT see these ruins. I felt they were both awesome ( and I'm not even an ancient ruins sort of girl!) I will be going again to see with my boyfriend who will be experiencing them for the first time. I've never been to the Plaka. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great restaurant in that area? And do you know how lon it takes to walk from the Acropolis to the Plaka? Thanks for the help

I agree with all that you cannot be in this area of the world and NOT see these ruins. I felt they were both awesome ( and I'm not even an ancient ruins sort of girl!) I will be going again to see with my boyfriend who will be experiencing them for the first time. I've never been to the Plaka. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great restaurant in that area? And do you know how lon it takes to walk from the Acropolis to the Plaka? Thanks for the help

The Plaka is literally at the foot of the Acropolis hill. Once you walk down from the Acropolis, you are there.

I suggest just walking around and looking at restaurants (menus are usually posted) until you find one that appeals to you.