Best Headphones for Air Travel?

TravelKnitter

My husband is a hard-of-hearing music lover who depends on listening to music in flight. The problem: He turns the music up so loud that the sound leaks through his headphones, thus disturbing fellow passengers.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best headphones to cancel noise from others hearing the sound? Note: I'm not looking for ambient noise cancellation (cancelling of outside sounds for the listener), but rather a way to keep my husband's headphones quiet so those around him aren't driven crazy by the noise (myself included!). It's embarrassing, and I desperately need to find a way to keep things quiet, especially on red-eye flights.

Edited by TravelKnitter

You will need a quality around-the-ear headphone like some models of Bose or Beats. I travel with Bose Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones. While they are designed to cancel external sounds, no one else can hear any sound emitting from my headphones. This model of Bose is popular with frequent flyers, perhaps because there is often a discount available through airline portals. I've seen first class half filled with Bose users and never heard any sound from what they were listening to.

Find a store that will let you or him try on the headphones and give them a real world test. Then google for the best price.

Beats is another brand of high end around-the-ear headphones. They are studio quality and no one else will hear what the wearer hears. Again, try to test them in a store for both comfort and functionality, then google for best prices.

Best of luck.

Beats is another brand of high end around-the-ear headphones. They are studio quality and no one else will hear what the wearer hears. Again, try to test them in a store for both comfort and functionality, then google for best prices.

Whilst some may say this about Bose, Beats is definitely form over function. They're just good at branding, the headphones themselves are just fashion items.

I've had Bose QC2, QC2 and QC15s and think they're excellent myself.

FWIW, the Beats brand may be a bit over-hyped due to the Dr. Dre influence, but they are definitely a quality brand. However, you are paying a premium for the name and design. Many say there are better models for the same price. To counteract that premium, I just saw some at Costco, so that might be a place to check them out at less than full retail. Koss and Sennheiser both make some great headphones, and have for decades. (Koss still makes the PRO4AA, a classic in headphone design built like a tank)

As long as you get an over-the-ear design, you will have little worry about the sound disturbing others. OTOH, "on-the-ear" design is an open system, and there can be leakage.

Finally, if at all possible, have him try them out live. Bring your iPod (or similar) to the store and do a real world test. Even more than the sound, be sure they are comfortable. Wear them for at least 5-10 minutes in the store to try to know that you can tolerate them for hours.

I'm a Bose QuietComfort15 girl. I've had mine for 4-5 years. Extremely comfortable, and very good sound quality. Just used them on several RJs, and one VERY noisy EMB120 this week. My music came through just fine, no outside noise (well, very, very little of the EMB120 buzz). And, they don't bleed outside of the earcups. Well worth the price!!!

FYI, the 3 basic types of headsets are "in-ear", "on-ear", and "over-ear" to use the industry lingo. You're looking for the over-ear type.

Here's a good site with reviews, forums, etc: http://www.head-fi.org/

Last comment, thank you for being so considerate of others! Many people don't seem to care if their personal audio bothers others, and in most cases they have no hearing problems (but are developing one at the high playback volume).

• 3 weeks later...
Does your husband wear hearing aids? If he does, check into what wireless options may be available & compatible to what he wears. I just found out I can connect to my iPhone to my Oticons!

Why, yes he does! Thank you for the tip!

Last comment, thank you for being so considerate of others! Many people don't seem to care if their personal audio bothers others, and in most cases they have no hearing problems (but are developing one at the high playback volume).

This surprises me. I don't assume the world shares my taste for music nor do I pretend to.... it is amazing that people are this inconsiderate.

FYI, the 3 basic types of headsets are "in-ear", "on-ear", and "over-ear" to use the industry lingo. You're looking for the over-ear type.

Here's a good site with reviews, forums, etc: http://www.head-fi.org/

Thank you, Kenish -- and thank you for the link!

Another Bose QC owner here. I've used them for 10 - 15 years, had a pair repaced for free, and purchased another relacement pair for half price. IMO, their customer support is the BEST. My husband bought a cheaper brand, and we sat in front of a crying child on a 10 hour flight. I couldn't hear a thing. He bought Bose for our next trip.