Any way to test for sea sickness?

emeltee

A quick search and found the following:

Medications and Natural Preventatives

Ginger is a natural preventative. It soothes a queasy stomach and has no side effects. You can get it in pill form, tablets or powder, as ginger root in many herb and health food stores, or as pickled ginger slices at Japanese food marts and even at many Japanese restaurants.

Some doctors recommend that you can take it 12-24 hours before, as preventing sea sickness is easier than curing it. Somewhere from 1 gram up to 4 grams per day of powdered ginger is recommended. Some studies seem to indicate that ginger is more effective in the reduction of vomiting and sweating than nausea and vertigo, although they reduce those symptoms as well. You can try gingersnap cookies and ginger ale, although their lower ginger content may not be as effective. They do work for many sailors though.

Eating peppermint in conjunction with ginger is reported by as being even more effective. Since mint does have some of the same calming qualities as ginger, this may be true. Perhaps it is just the belief that it works that is effective. Regardless, it is an inexpensive and pleasant addition. An added benefit is making your breath sweeter.

Another treatment is an accupressure wrist band. It applies pressure to a particular point on your wrist which can prevent the feeling of nausea.

Here's an interesting treatment that was found. It is a treatment that works on some after they are feeling queasy, rather than as a preventative. Immerse your feet in ice water. Anecdotal reports indicate it helps some people.

There are other preventatives, such as over the counter and prescription medications. Most should be taken in advance and not on an empty stomach. Be sure to read the instructions. Dramamine is one that has been used for years. Meclizine and bonine are also effective. You can find them at most pharmacies and drug stores. Scopolamine was used for awhile in the Transderm patches, but was taken off the market because of quality control problems, though it is now available again (as of fourth quarter 1997). Be sure to read this warning about sea sickness medications. It might give you more reasons to try other methods of prevention than medication.

Scopolamine is a prescription drug in the family of chemicals known as belladonna alkaloids (belladonna from the Italian for beautiful lady. Renaissance women took belladonna to get dilated pupils, an effect of scopolamine). Scopolamine should not be used by people with glaucoma. Its side effects can include dry mouth (the most common side effect,) dilated pupils with blurred vision, drowsiness, disorientation, confusion, memory disturbances, dizziness, restlessness, hallucinations, and difficulty urinating. When you stop using the patches you can also get disorientation, confusion, memory disturbances, dizziness, and restlessness.

Scopolamine's side effects are not predictable. You could have used it without problems many times before and still develop an untoward reaction. Some of the side effects are similar to the effects of nitrogen narcosis, and even if you're having a mild reaction to the scopolamine (and maybe not even know it) the reaction could be more pronounced at depth.

There is no one I know of who can't get seasick if the conditions are right, but there are some things that can be done to reduce the possibility.

More Tips!1. Don't drink liquor excessively the night before departing. The slight morning after feeling can be many times compounded on a boat.

2. Be careful to avoid greasy foods. The first sign of seasickness is indigestion and it often never gets past that point.

3. Drink Coke or Pepsi. These two drinks help reduce the chances of getting sick because they contain phosphoric acid, which is an ingredient in Emetrol, a drug to control vomiting. That's the medical explanation I received from a doctor when I asked why a Coke seems to settle the stomach. Eat Saltine crackers. They absorb the excess acidity very well. If the indigestion is really bad, take an antacid.

I'd rather know in advance than to suffer for a day or two before medicating. Is there any way to find out whether or not any of us will suffer from sea sickness?

Or do people just take medication just in case?

Unless you're susceptible to motion sickness, or you should happen to cruise through some rough seas, chances are you won't get seasick. Although you may notice some slight motion of the ship, even with 8 foot swells, the ship's stabilizers do a pretty good job of keeping the ship from rocking. Being on a cruise ship is not at all like being in a small boat on a lake. Also, and I don't know how much truth there is to this, I've heard that you're less likely to experience sea-sickness if you've had something to eat than if you have an empty stomach.

I'd rather know in advance than to suffer for a day or two before medicating. Is there any way to find out whether or not any of us will suffer from sea sickness?

Or do people just take medication just in case?

Everyone gets sea sick, it's just a question of when and under what conditions. My wife got seasick on the Disney Wonder tied up to the dock in Nassau. I've been in 15' seas on a 50' boat and was fine. If you've never had problems with motion sickness before you will probably be alright on most cruises. If you have experienced motion sickness before I would suggest B

onine the night before you board the ship and every night you cruise. Take it at home first and see what it does to you. It makes some people sleepy. I took it every night taking that same 50' boat across the Gulf of Mexico. Even though I didn't expect to get sea sick I was the captain and the only one on board who knew how to get the boat to where we were going so I didn't want to take any chances.

Do you suffer from any type of motion sickness (car, plane, train??) If not, you are probably ok. BUT... if by chance you do get sick... go up on deck, get some fresh air, take a Bonine, eat some crackers and give it 20-30 mins. You will feel much better.

A few years ago, I was on a train from Paris to Amsterdam and forgot that I get sick in anything that moves (lol, how I forgot that I will never know) so I didn't take anything for it. I took a pill and ate a few crackers and drank some water. Within the hour I was MUCH better. (you won't suffer for a day or two).

Best of luck!!!

Maybe I am being too simple here.

No one know if the Original Poster will get sea sick or not nor what the seas will be like.

I have sailed with many people who have taken 50 or more cruises without getting sea sick but one a specific voyage they did. It happens.

It's better to be prepared then not be prepared. The worst is you spend a few dollars on some over the counter medication and you don't use it. To me that was a risk worth taking.

And no, just because you do not get car sick or plane or train sick does not mean that you won't get sea sick.

Better to be prepared.

As I usually say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Keith

Only once felt queasy, and that was 2 days and nights on a ferry across to Sweden....but as we were all hard up students, the 2 day old cheese sandwiches might have had a lot to do with it.....:eek:

My OH is queasy in rough waters if the waves are hitting the side of the ship; he's never actually been sick, and now listens closely to the warnings from the captain, and takes a pill- problem solved!;)

I tried ginger on one of my past cruises, the cruise ship is not very bumpy so felt fine there but when I went on a small boat for a snorkel tour I really regret not taking real meds (was super sick, vomitting, and missed the best stop of going in with the sharks!). I can't do the usual kind since it makes me super tired but I found one that worked great for me, called Bonine! Highly recommended, and you won't have that just wanna sleep instead of enjoy this vacation feel ;)

First of all, do not worry yourself into being sick. There is clearly a mental element -- hence the person who got seasick while the ship was still tied to the dock!

Seasickness is caused by a conflict between the signals from the eyes and the signals from the inner ear. If the eye is seeing "not moving" and the inner ear is seeing "motion," then you might get seasick. The initial cure is simple, get somewhere where you can see the motion, either by a window or go outside on deck and look at the horizon. Being outside is even more helpful as the fresh, cool air will help. The other thing is to eat normal meals. Do not have an empty stomach. Stay away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat at normal times.

Many people take a little time to get their "sea legs," but like virtually everyone else, you will get them. For some people, there is no adjustment, for some people it can take anywhere from an hour to part of a day. After that, you will not even notice the ship's minimal motion, and likely won't be too bothered if the motion gets more extreme. Bear in mind that a large ship moves somewhat slowly, it is not a jerky motion that you feel in a small boat or in a car.

If the ship is pitching a lot (the bow and stern are going up and down), you can minimize the effect by going somewhere amidships -- halfway between the bow and stern. If the ship is rolling from side-to-side (frankly the more common thing), you can try going down to a somewhat lower deck somewhere around the main deck or slightly above.

Again, don't worry yourself into being sick. You will likely be OK immediately or soon thereafter once you get going.

As for the question of whether "everyone" gets seasick sometime, I would simply say, everyone is susceptible at some point. I have been out in some brutal seas, I can take any ride any amusement park can throw at me. But one time, my sailboat engine conked out in rough seas, I was below working on a hot diesel engine with no sight of the horizon, and it got to me that day after about 30 minutes of working on it! As they say, "never say never!"

Is there any way to find out whether or not any of us will suffer from sea sickness?

Depending on where you are located, one way would be to hop on a boat and head to open waters. That would give you a good idea.

Do you have any ferries or river boat excursions near you?

I need to repeat this: Everyone gets seasick, it just depends on where and under what conditions. Ask anyone who has spent a life at sea. If you're lucky it may take hurricane force winds and 40-60 seas in a, relatively, small boat but everyone has their limits. If you haven't found yours yet then congratulations.

Being on a smaller boat will NOT give you the "test" you desire. A large cruiseship is nothing like a ferry or fishing boat! So don't waste your time and money doing such a thing!

Just bring some motion sickness meds, and hope for the best. Most folks are just fine.

Being on a smaller boat will NOT give you the "test" you desire.

Being on a small boat will definitely tell you how susceptible to sea sickness you are. It won't correlate directly to a cruise experience but if you are alright offshore in a small boat in rough seas odds are very good you will be fine on most cruises.

I have not had any episodes of sea sickness so far, I take ginger tablets from a local nutrition store.

I did however, have problems when I used to get home, as I still had sea legs! I would feel light headed & have to hang onto my hand railing when I went downstairs to do all the cruise laundry.

Now I've learned to continue the ginger tablets for the first few days at home.

OP here. Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about.

I get car sick, but it is when I try to read something in the car. If I lower my head and don't let my eyes see out the window I'm fine. Exactly what a previous poster mentioned - if I can let my inner ear & eye match up, then I'm fine

I've read that if one does get sea sick, it can take a day for meds to take effect.

I'm in charge of a group of 7, from my 4 yo child on up to my 80 father. We'll all bring neds, buy I would hate for any one of us to have to suffer for a whole day.

One of the most "popular" places where people get sick on is the ferry from Cozumel to the mainland, which is affectionately known as the "Vomit Comet." I was on a particularly rough crossing a couple years ago and had no problem. Just get a window seat and keep your eyes on the horizon. Above all, don't watch someone else get sick, or you'll be heaving, too. The same advice works on the cruise, too.

One of the most "popular" places where people get sick on is the ferry from Cozumel to the mainland, which is affectionately known as the "Vomit Comet." .

I've been on that ferry. The water had been too rough for it to run for several days and people were getting desperate to get back to Mexico. Finally they tried to make the run. My father and I had been diving in Cozumel and wanted to see Chichen Itza before we went back to the States. The only way not to see people throwing up was to close your eyes. The boat hit bottom in the trough of a wave going over the bar on the Mexican side. It was still too rough to dock. In a move that would have shocked OSHA the captain put the bow towards the dock and they started throwing people onto the dock. They tried putting bow lines to help him keep it positioned but gave up when one of them popped and sent a soldier flying. We decided, along with others, to stay on the boat. I had pictures my father took until Hurricane Hugo destroyed my mother's house on St. Croix.

Archived