What to do when your travel agent makes a mistake and says she'll get fired for it?

shellzj

Same here. I've actually gotten to the point where I book everything on my own directly with the companies. I've had bad luck with TA's in the past. Meaning I'm the one who has to chase them down because I've noticed the price has dropped on our trip or even final payment is due and they haven't contacted me.

I think this is why so many of the agents we've dealt with just don't go that extra mile any longer.

I never said cruise line...read my post I said travel agent.

2 different things

Perhaps I misunderstood, It seems your post above implies that a TA who doesn't notify you of a price drop isn't doing their job.

Doesn't matter then, whether you use a PCC or a TA, you still have to monitor price drops yourself?

Never said anything about a PCC

Putting words in my posts now are ya?;p

I am my own travel agent because I like control of my trips.

Perhaps I misunderstood, It seems your post above implies that a TA who doesn't notify you of a price drop isn't doing their job.

That's exactly what I'm saying. When I hire a travel agent who says "if the price drops before final payment, your balance will be adjusted"

I expect that to happen.

It didn't on more than one occasion. No longer will use a TA

That's exactly what I'm saying. When I hire a travel agent who says "if the price drops before final payment, your balance will be adjusted"

I expect that to happen.

It didn't on more than one occasion. No longer will use a TA

A travel agent promised to adjust your fare automatically without you calling?

Edited by RocketMan275

A travel agent promised to adjust your fare automatically without you calling?

For years we used a great agent out of Boston who "went the extra mile" for us...and I'm sure all of her clients.

Yes, she would check her client's bookings on a regular basis in case there was a significant price drop. If we booked for example an outside and the price on a verandah dropped, she would contact us immediately to get us into a better room. Same with resorts, if a better deal came up I knew she was on top of it.

It may seem foreign to you because since this agent retired I've never found another who comes close to the customer service this other agent gave to her clients.

I never worried about a thing when she booked our trips, she was the best.

It's not that difficult to set up price alerts.

OP sorry to hi-Jack your thread. I hope you got this situation sorted out today. Please let us know how you make out.

What would I do ?

I would call the agent back and say...." Having given this matter further thought I find I am not in a position to lose $1200.00 nor am I prepared to do so.

I am sure you can appreciate this decision is not unreasonable.

Please contact me as soon as this matter has been rectified.

Doesn't matter then, whether you use a PCC or a TA, you still have to monitor price drops yourself?

IMO, you need to monitor price drops yourself, no matter who is the booking agent.

My PCC does check for price drops, but only right before final payment is due. I think this is about all you can expect from them, as they have many clients to monitor.

Like just about all travel reservations - you need to monitor prices yourself, if you want to get the best deal.

What would I do ?

I would call the agent back and say...." Having given this matter further thought I find I am not in a position to lose $1200.00 nor am I prepared to do so.

I am sure you can appreciate this decision is not unreasonable.

Please contact me as soon as this matter has been rectified.

That is a very reasonable response. However, I would never leave the last sentence open-ended. Perhaps something like, "please notify me within 48 hours how this matter has been rectified".

I hope the OP has something in writing from the agent admitting her mistake. My TAs always send me a receipt that includes the details of any offers such as OBC. When I have my TA check to make sure my shareholder benefit is there, he sends me a new receipt with it included. That's what a good TA does.

We only use a TA to book cruises and only because of the savings we enjoy. If do use TA's in foreign countries from time to time because of their local knowledge and occasional access to much better pricing. So far so good.

Skype and email puts them on the same footing as our local agents.

Thanks everybody for your advice. Via automatic emails from the travel agency, I have good news! They posted the following to my account this morning:

• $275 onboard credit - I assume $100 for each guest internet plus $70 for dinner for two at Pinnacle Grill
  • $189 onboard credit - I assume suite gratuities for 2 guests
  • Signature Beverage Package for 2

In the payments section of the invoice, it shows a "Company Payment" of $1187 for these additional perks.

I called HAL ship services, and the agent confirmed the signature beverage packages, but he said he did not yet see the additional onboard credit, so I will keep calling.

I have not received a call or an e-mail from the travel agent, only these automatic emails. But I suppose it doesn't really matter.

With regards to the travel agent's job security and/or pay being deducted, my concern is/ was how the agent is employed. If she's not a salaried employee but instead an independent contractor, then I could see how the agency could easily terminate her contract and dock the amount that she is owed. But I don't know how these very large, multi-brand, travel agencies work. Do they hire salaried W-2 office employees or just 1099 independent contractors who work from home?

I am hoping that because this agent has set work hours that she is a W2 employee, and therefore has a lot more job protection.

Edited by shellzj

Also, I found the brief segue about chocolate covered strawberries amusing. The mistake the TA had made was booking her agency's "group rate" instead of Explore4. The group rate included chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of sparkling wine on embarkation:

"We got you something better than free gratuities, free internet, free dinner, and free drinks! A half bottle of prosecco and some strawberries!"

I really do not understand the issue.

Simply insist on getting what was agreed to and what you paid for. If not, escalate the issue to Agency management. And keep escalating up the chain until you get satisfaction or you reach the end of the road so to speak.

This is not rocket science. Don't understand the hesitation or second thought to insist that you get what you contracted for

If you let this slide by, the next person with an issue will be treated in a similar manner to you.

And once it is resolved, make a decision about dealing with the agency again, or recommending them. Vote with you feet and with you wallet if you are not satisfied with the result or the process.

We only use a TA to book cruises and only because of the savings we enjoy. If do use TA's in foreign countries from time to time because of their local knowledge and occasional access to much better pricing. So far so good.

Skype and email puts them on the same footing as our local agents.

Right, same for me. I only use a travel agent because of the airline miles I get. However, after this incident, I wonder if maybe I should switch to my membership warehouse and just take the cash back...

I'm so glad it worked out for you! But it would have been nice to hear directly from the TA rather than the automated emails.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! Yes, I'm really looking forward to De Librije, which apparently I won't be able to book for another couple of weeks or so. I'll definitely write up a full report.

I really do not understand the issue.

Simply insist on getting what was agreed to and what you paid for. If not, escalate the issue to Agency management. And keep escalating up the chain until you get satisfaction or you reach the end of the road so to speak.

This is not rocket science. Don't understand the hesitation or second thought to insist that you get what you contracted for

If you let this slide by, the next person with an issue will be treated in a similar manner to you.

And once it is resolved, make a decision about dealing with the agency again, or recommending them. Vote with you feet and with you wallet if you are not satisfied with the result or the process.

See above post. She did get what was owed her.

OP I'm happy this was sorted out for you. Enjoy your cruise!

Is this a serious question? [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone contact TA or cruise line if they see an increase in the priced? A cruise I b ooked some months ago, the pric ce increased but I certainly did not ask HAL to increase my price. :eek: Thi s not the first time a cruise I'm booked on had a price increase prior to final payment date.

Does anyone contact TA or cruise line if they see an increase in the priced? A cruise I b ooked some months ago, the pric ce increased but I certainly did not ask HAL to increase my price. :eek: Thi s not the first time a cruise I'm booked on had a price increase prior to final payment date.

No, of course not.

I also am glad you got satisfaction. Next item of business is that agency's failure to document everything. The agency I use sends an email within a couple of hours to confirm each order/transaction/payment. This should be SOP.

Thanks everybody for your advice. Via automatic emails from the travel agency, I have good news! They posted the following to my account this morning:

• $275 onboard credit - I assume $100 for each guest internet plus $70 for dinner for two at Pinnacle Grill
  • $189 onboard credit - I assume suite gratuities for 2 guests
  • Signature Beverage Package for 2

In the payments section of the invoice, it shows a "Company Payment" of $1187 for these additional perks.

I called HAL ship services, and the agent confirmed the signature beverage packages, but he said he did not yet see the additional onboard credit, so I will keep calling.

I have not received a call or an e-mail from the travel agent, only these automatic emails. But I suppose it doesn't really matter.

With regards to the travel agent's job security and/or pay being deducted, my concern is/ was how the agent is employed. If she's not a salaried employee but instead an independent contractor, then I could see how the agency could easily terminate her contract and dock the amount that she is owed. But I don't know how these very large, multi-brand, travel agencies work. Do they hire salaried W-2 office employees or just 1099 independent contractors who work from home?

I am hoping that because this agent has set work hours that she is a W2 employee, and therefore has a lot more job protection.

Although they did make you whole, I would say that it does matter. Since they messed up, they should have the decency or good business sense to apologize for their mistake and what they put you though. I would still dump the agency after you have completed your cruise.

DON