Looking for espadrilles...but with support

cruisemom42

I'm heading off on a Med cruise in April that goes from Athens to Malaga. To me, the season and area just beg for espadrilles, and I'd love to buy some to take with me.

I was in Andalusia last fall and thought I'd buy some there -- after all, Spain is the home of the espadrille -- but most that I saw were the true traditional type shoe with rope soles or just a thin cloth covering over the rope = not very comfortable for my feet and not supportive enough for much walking.

I've been on the lookout here ever since. Comfort shoes are so popular now, I was hoping to find some that look like the traditional espadrille on top (e.g., canvas) but have the modern, supportive, cushioned insides and soles.

I already tried these and returned them -- while comfortable, they didn't look right on my feet: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/joy+.and.+mario+hermosa+slip-on?prodId=352287

Wondering if anyone could suggest something else to try?

What made them not looking on your foot?

Skechers makes Bob, a Tom knockoff. Never tried them so no idea about support, but they're a touch more stylish.

I like Olukai. They wear well, getting more comfortable over time. The styles rotate seasonally.

Fit wise if you can wear Rockport they might not fit you well. Mom and Sis wear Rockport and hate the Olukai. I cannot wear Rockport.

Or

What about buying a traditional pair and adding a supportive insole?

Edited by SadieN

It's hard to describe -- if you look at the photo, the fabric on the vamp (top?) comes up higher on the foot than most. I thought I would like that because it would help keep the shoe securely on. But the fabric wrinkles somewhat on the vamp and doesn't lay smooth. Perhaps if my foot were wider it would stretch a bit and then lay smooth. However, it doesn't....

I've tried Bob's -- they are comfy but VERY flat, no arch support, no elevation at all. I got a cute pair a couple years ago for a holiday cruise but ended up not liking them (they eventually ended up going to a resale place....)

I suppose I can go with inserts if I have to, but unless the fit is really good, I find them annoying. They move around in the shoe when I'm walking.

I have a cheap pair of grasshoppers peep toe espadrilles that are quite comfortable. Not for a day of walking but certainly for a day at my office (they're wedges too) I think reef and maybe aerosols market some "comfort" espadrilles as well but those are two brands that don't fit me well.

If you are interested, VIONIC makes Espadrille's....I don't own them but

I have 13 pairs of other VIONIC's......they are VERY supportive.

QVC sells them.......they have 2 styles, here is a link and you can see what

they look like.

http://www.qvc.com/Vionic-Orthotic-Slip-on-Espadrilles---Valeri.product.A286616.html

http://www.qvc.com/Vionic-Orthotic-Suede-Lace-up-Espadrilles---Rayne.product.A286617.html

Edited by Lois R

they look like.

url]http://www.qvc.com/Vionic-Orthotic-Slip-on-Espadrilles---Valeri.product.A286616.html[/url]

url]http://www.qvc.com/Vionic-Orthotic-Suede-Lace-up-Espadrilles---Rayne.product.A286617.html[/url]

2nd the motion. I love Vionics as do my feet. We walk miles at home as well as on vacation and these shoes do the job and look decent as well.

they look like.

http://www.qvc.com/Vionic-Orthotic-Slip-on-Espadrilles---Valeri.product.A286616.html

http://www.qvc.com/Vionic-Orthotic-Suede-Lace-up-Espadrilles---Rayne.product.A286617.html

Thank you Lois!! These look like just what I was looking for in the black. Traditional espadrille look but hopefully supportive. Perfect!

I have tried Vionic flip-flops before but couldn't ever get used to the aggressive arch support. I hope I can get used to these.

Thank you Lois!! These look like just what I was looking for in the black. Traditional espadrille look but hopefully supportive. Perfect!

I have tried Vionic flip-flops before but couldn't ever get used to the aggressive arch support. I hope I can get used to these.

Hi...QVC has a 30 day return policy..doesn't matter what the product is either. So, I would try them and if they don't work for you, send them back.

Glad I could help:)

The orthotic inserts in these Vionic are removable so that you can insert your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, the Vionic espadrilles had to go back. They had the most uncomfortable heels that really rubbed. I tried wearing them several minutes inside the house on a couple of days but had to take them off within minutes. Since I wouldn't wear them with socks, this is a big problem. Otherwise they are very cute.

I think I'm going to try these -- not quite the traditional espadrille look, but I like the little bit of wedge:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M93JK7A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sadly, the Vionic espadrilles had to go back. They had the most uncomfortable heels that really rubbed. I tried wearing them several minutes inside the house on a couple of days but had to take them off within minutes. Since I wouldn't wear them with socks, this is a big problem. Otherwise they are very cute.

I think I'm going to try these -- not quite the traditional espadrille look, but I like the little bit of wedge:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M93JK7A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sorry they didn't work for you and I hope Bob's fit you:)

GOOGLE Espadrilles. Lots come up.I have a bunch of them.I wear them on ship only, never on the rough streets on shore.

You may have missed the info in my first post that I'm looking for some with some support to them. I know the regular espadrilles are everywhere....

• 3 weeks later...
FWIW, I've had several pair of the Grasshopper espadrilles with Ortholite support. I have a very high arch and they fit well and are very comfortable. I wear them out!

https://www.grasshoppers.com/en/skylar-espadrille/27300W.html?dwvar_27300W_color=EF56728&ref=espadrille#q=espadrille&start=1

Hmmm, these may be an option IF I can't find anything that looks like the true Spanish espadrille... :confused:

Sadly, the Vionic espadrilles had to go back. They had the most uncomfortable heels that really rubbed.

Darn it! I have several pair of Vionic and love them, and was thinking espadrilles would be a good option for a fall trip Italy. I usually wear sandals, but sometimes think a more enclosed shoe would be a good back-up to take. I was excited to hear than Vionic makes espadrilles but disappointed to hear you say they rubbed your heel. I have very flat feet and Vionic give me good arch support, but the heel rubbing would be a deal breaker.

Not only do shoe brands fit different feet differently, sometimes shoes from the same brand fit differently. I have found this to be true with Vionic. If you generally like the brand, why not try the shoe on YOUR feet to see how they fit?

Darn it! I have several pair of Vionic and love them, and was thinking espadrilles would be a good option for a fall trip Italy. I usually wear sandals, but sometimes think a more enclosed shoe would be a good back-up to take. I was excited to hear than Vionic makes espadrilles but disappointed to hear you say they rubbed your heel. I have very flat feet and Vionic give me good arch support, but the heel rubbing would be a deal breaker.

Meg, I am ONLY wearing Vionics these days and have a pair of walking shoes from them that I am bringing on my

next cruise.....sailing in August from Barcelona to Rome. They are a slip on, VERY comfortable and LOTS of support.

Meg, I am ONLY wearing Vionics these days and have a pair of walking shoes from them that I am bringing on my

next cruise.....sailing in August from Barcelona to Rome. They are a slip on, VERY comfortable and LOTS of support.

Lois, which ones do you have?

I have trouble with some Vionics (I can't wear their flip flops), but I did find a pair of loafers that are comfortable. I couldn't wear them for all-day walking but they are good for a day at the office. :)

Wondering if anyone has tried their "Kea" style?