Tipping in Europe

Sergio11

Hello,

I will be doing a cruise on the Harmony and Brilliance in June. In past cruises leaving from Florida I would bring extra $1's and tip extra.

Can I do the same in Europe or should I convert $1 to Euros??

I tired getting small Euro bills but bank did not have any.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

The currency in most European countries is the Euro. It would cost the waiters money to change the $$$ into euros, bank charges etc, so if you tip please do it in €€€€€.

I figured there are things the crew must pay for onboard in USD, so either would probably work fine.

Are we asking if we should tip the crew in USD, or shore excursion guides?

I'm thinking since the OP said tipping in $1's, they were referring to extra tips for drinks onboard, but maybe I missed the meaning entirely?

When Europeans come to the US we expect them to tip since it's our custom. When we go to Europe it's their custom not to tip. On my shore excursions we did not tip because it is their custom. On the ship is different, there is a suggested daily amount.

...I tired getting small Euro bills but bank did not have any...
The smallest Euro note is 5 Euros. There are 1 and 2 Euro coins.
...When we go to Europe it's their custom not to tip...
I disagree with this as an absolute statement. While it is true that in many European countries service workers are likely to get a better wage than in the US, it is still customary to leave a small tip (such as rounding up the bill) as an expression of satisfaction.

When Europeans come to the US we expect them to tip since it's our custom. When we go to Europe it's their custom not to tip. On my shore excursions we did not tip because it is their custom. On the ship is different, there is a suggested daily amount.

I did not realize that was the custom. Every excursion we were on in the Med the tour guide and bus driver always had their hand out. Some even had signs!

No, not correct in many cases.

I agree europeans donot tip that often or that much since a service charge is included in meals, drinks etc. However it is common to tip a little, like rounding the amount. If the service is nice, the bill is E. 9,- you give E.10 and tell the waiter to keep the change. The other day I had 2 coffees for E. 4.50, gave E. 5.- and didnot want change.

Of course not in places like McDonald and similar.

Same with tourguides and drivers, yes tips are certainly welcome.

Edited by Ine

I did not realize that was the custom. Every excursion we were on in the Med the tour guide and bus driver always had their hand out. Some even had signs!

Exactly like I replied. Yes tips are welcome.

No, not correct in many cases.

I agree europeans donot tip that often or that much since a service charge is included in meals, drinks etc. However it is common to tip a little, like rounding the amount. If the service is nice, the bill is E. 9,- you give E.10 and tell the waiter to keep the change. The other day I had 2 coffees for E. 4.50, gave E. 5.- and didnot want change.

Of course not in places like McDonald and similar.

Same with tourguides and drivers, yes tips are certainly welcome.

This is exactly what I do in Europe.

It is my understanding....

On the ship, tip as if in the USA.

They would prefer 1 Euro because it equals $1.12 (who would want the extra money

Off the ship, it is customary to round up to a whole Euro. Tours etc will usually get tipped. This is different from restaurants.

Banks in the USA will only exchange money no lower than a 5 euro note. They do not make 1 euro paper notes. The 1 and 2 euro coins are used.

Remember that the employees are in Europe, so therefore, they need Euro's off the ship. On the ship, I believe they as cashless just like the guests. They have facilities on the ship, to deposit money or withdraw money.

I'm sure you could change Euro notes for coins at Guest Services, in order to tip on board.

I've been doing some research on private shore excursions and most of the reviewers seem to tip generously, so it does vary.

A few years ago I was in London, and took a cab. I think the fare was 4 GBP and I have the guy a 5. It was like he'd won the lottery he was so appreciative!!!

Edited by KiwiGal117
typo

What would be an acceptable tip for a tour guide in Europe? And if taking a taxi, would you just round to nearest euro or tip a 1 or 2 euro coin?

Thanks!

I don't know what the norm is, but we usually tip the tour guide €5/couple for an average tour, and €10/couple for an exceptional job. We don't usually tip the bus driver unless the trip seems to be exceptionally difficult €1-2. (Like the drive to the Amalfi coast). Some tour guides will tip the bus driver as well.

I'm sure there are passengers that are much more generous, but I also think based on my unscientific observations, half of the participants don't tip at all.

It's a personal/cultural decision.

Edited by steveru621
spelling

Only American are exploited for inflated tips. Rounding up less then a dollar ( Euro) is really not much, not really even a tip. It's your money so do as you see fit, but as the saying goes, "when in Rome do as the Romans do"

As an aside, for those wondering about tips when on shore, as a uk traveller who has spent many years in Europe (studying and travelling) I can confirm that it absolutely is customary to tip, although not 18% as our US friends do. In a restaurant, 10% is the norm for good/great service, and for taxis rounding up to the nearest £5/€5 is fine. For a tour guide who has looked after you all day I would tip around £5/€5 per person. At counter service coffee shops etc, there is often a tip jar for you to pop in loose change, no particular expected amount. Although this won't necessarily be relevant to travellers, we also always tip at hair salons and beauty spas! Those in the service industry are paid a better wage, however a tip is always appreciated and gratefully received, and as it is discretionary I guess it is genuinely a tip in the true sense of the word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you'll find that wherever there are lots of American tourists (particularly from cruise ship tours), less so when it's place that mainly Europeans visit. Or to put it another way - they see you coming ;)

Edited by Bobal

I generally round up to the nearest big number, depending on how much the change would be. For example, a taxi ride of €17 I'd probably round to €20.

In a restaurant if service charge is not included, I'll add on 10% roughly, again with some rounding up or down.

Don't normally tip in a bar, unless we've been there all day with complicated orders, but certainly in Ireland it would be more usual to tell the barman to get one for himself, rather than giving him money. If there's table service, leaving the change (or some of it) is standard.

Very good point,no need to disrespect their customs.:D