Apples vs. Oranges (Azamara vs. Seaborn)

TuckerCrowe

We're veterans of mass market cruising, but have been staying in luxury hotels lately, and thought we'd move up in the cruise line world as well.

My wife wants to go to Greece for our 30th anniversary (neither of us have been), my vacation falls mid June. I have narrowed it down to the Seaborne Odyssey leaving 6/21 or the Azamara Quest leaving the same day. If we chose the Azamara, would probably move up to a balcony room, so the cruise pricing would not be appreciably different (~$1000), although Azamara's current specials may widen it a bit. We are not drinkers, but do enjoy creative dining. On board entertainment not important at all. I do like to get up early, have a nice cup of coffee and work out. The itinerary on the Azamara looks much more exciting and to our liking than the Seaborne.

So do we choose itinerary or comfort/amenities?

Edited by TuckerCrowe

Either ship will be lovely. In Europe, there are two things to consider heavily, ports and number of passengers in your ship. Smaller ships have many advantages.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

and just a reminder,acc.to lists I ve read,Seaborn is a luxury line while Axamara is premium. So some perks on one,not other.Have to really look at all the details.But it its first experience up from mass market lines,agree you ll like either.

Ive never been on A,but did SB.Loved MOST of amenities,but NOT THE SMOKING ,allowed on SB in cabins,balcony,some bars,etc.That s a deal breaker for us,NOW.Have you looked at Regent,Oceania,also premium and luxury®, love both of them too?:)

The itinerary on the Azamara is very port intensive and definitely trumps the Seaborne for us. They now also include one excursion per port in the base price...but not sure if that will make them cattle calls.

Edited by TuckerCrowe

Azamara seems to be the one for you.

Thanks for the smoking update on SB.That makes a big difference and may look at that line again.Ex.for that, I LOVED IT>now if they d only change the formal dress nite,haha.Have been sailing with Oceania and Regent for those 2 reasons.;)

Edited by alexandra cruiser

Azamara seems to be the one for you.

Thanks for the smoking update on SB.That makes a big difference and may look at that line again.Ex.for that, I LOVED IT>now if they d only change the formal dress nite,haha.Have been sailing with Oceania and Regent for those 2 reasons.;)

What's your specific issue with Seabourn's formal dress night? The dress code is Formal Optional on SB.

OP, I'm a huge Seabourn fan, but if this was my first time 'moving up' I'd go for itinerary over amenities too. Especially if you're not based in Europe and therefore a European cruise is a big deal for you.

Have you looked at Oceania too? We have friends who sail with them very often and prefer them over Azamara.

OP, I'm a huge Seabourn fan, but if this was my first time 'moving up' I'd go for itinerary over amenities too. Especially if you're not based in Europe and therefore a European cruise is a big deal for you.

Have you looked at Oceania too? We have friends who sail with them very often and prefer them over Azamara.

Thanks. The Seaborne and Azamara were the only two "luxury" options on the search engine for our vacation time window and itinerary desires. And yes, the European cruise is a 'big deal' for us, since we haven't been to Greece before and 10-14 days total would be my maximum time away from the office.

Edited by TuckerCrowe

Thanks. The Seaborne and Azamara were the only two "luxury" options on the search engine for our vacation time window and itinerary desires. And yes, the European cruise is a 'big deal' for us, since we haven't been to Greece before and 10-14 days total would be my maximum time away from the office.

In that case yes, for sure I'd go for Azamara.

For us, Caribbean and South American cruises are big deals for us being from Europe and because of that we do base our choice on itinerary rather than ship amenities. Itinerary has to be the priority for places that are a long way home.

Enjoy Greece - it's one of my favourite countries.

Interested thread, since we have completed two TAs on Azamara and are getting ready to board Seabourn for the very first time. TuckerCrowe, you mentioned your morning workout. I am happy to report that Azamara offers a good, spacious, well-equipped fitness center, and it's not very heavily used. You also mentioned dining. On our last Azamara, we upgraded to a suite and thus had free access to the premium restaurants (they normally charge something, maybe $30 per person). Both are beautiful and offer a gracious experience, but the food is not spectacular, not on par with restos in our home town, San Francisco. We think the food in the main dining room is just fine, the buffet is always more than adequate. I think you would enjoy Azamara, but I don't think anyone would consider it truly luxurious. I agree with the common recommendation that itinerary is a major decision point.

Some search engines do not include all of the luxury lines - they only include lines owned by the big three. You might also search some of the cruise lines individually. Since you like food, and you don't need all inclusive liquor, you might look at Regent. Their ships are newer than Azamara's I believe. Also try Crystal.

. Since you like food, and you don't need all inclusive liquor, you might look at Regent. Their ships are newer than Azamara's I believe. Also try Crystal.

If they do not want liquor included why suggest Regent :confused:

It is an all inclusive line

Azamara is not a luxury line more of an upper premium

As others suggested look at Oceania also their small ships are the same size as Azamara

Edited by LHT28