Jewelry in carry on

LindaM

In the USA Today travel section, I read about a person who was forced to check their carry on, even though it was the acceptable size. That happened to me in Frankfurt. Our flight was delayed, so we were the last ones on our connecting flight. They actually took us by bus to the gate, where we went in the back way. At check in, Lufsthansa told me I had to check our carryons, because there was no more room in the overhead. I didn't have enough sense to quickly remove my medication and jewelry, as we were so stressed about making the flight, and exhausted from an overseas flight.

Now, I keep an extra fold up bag in the pocket, so I can quickly remove articles if that happens again. And, I have downsized our carryons to very smaller rollerbags. Although, we've been on flights in Europe where they barely fit in the overhead bins.

I thought of this after reading about stolen luggage on another thread! It might be able to help someone!

Good point; it is one reason we both now use under-seat bags as our 'personal item'. We can put a change of clothes and all our electronics, medications, jewelry and wallets in there with room to spare. Those bags stay with us regardless of overhead space or number of bags rules. (And in a real pinch, should all carryons be banned in an emergency, the pockets on the scottevest can be jammed full of items I want with me.)

We were flying United, first class, Boston to Fort Wayne, with a connection in Chicago. I worried they would make us check our regulation size carryons for the connecing flight.

I placed a small canvas tote (HAL gives these totes to all guests on all cruises) flat across the top of DH and my roll aboards. Sure enough, at the gate, they demanded we gate check the bags. I opened the bags despite their protests, removed our medications and jewelry and placed those in the small tote which they could not argue would easily fit under the seat.

From that day forward, I have always placed a lightweight, small tote on the top of all carryon bags so I can quickly remove anything of real value I do not want out of my control.

I actually had sewn velcro stips across the top of each bag for security to be able to close the top of the tote.

In the USA Today travel section, I read about a person who was forced to check their carry on, even though it was the acceptable size. That happened to me in Frankfurt. Our flight was delayed, so we were the last ones on our connecting flight. They actually took us by bus to the gate, where we went in the back way. At check in, Lufsthansa told me I had to check our carryons, because there was no more room in the overhead. I didn't have enough sense to quickly remove my medication and jewelry, as we were so stressed about making the flight, and exhausted from an overseas flight.

Now, I keep an extra fold up bag in the pocket, so I can quickly remove articles if that happens again. And, I have downsized our carryons to very smaller rollerbags. Although, we've been on flights in Europe where they barely fit in the overhead bins.

I thought of this after reading about stolen luggage on another thread! It might be able to help someone!

I am old fashioned, I wear a 'Fanny Pack'. No problems.

john

We also have a smallish cloth bag we keep in our hand luggage, just in case we are told to check the handluggage. the bag is specifically for jewellery, meds and electronics and it has a velco fastening.

Sandy in Spain

That has happened to me too. I carry an extra large purse. It is still within the guidlelines size wise (not my normal purse) but large enough that I can stick a few things in it. I doubt the flight attendant would take anything as they know they would be suspected first, I do it for convenience. I want my Meds with me. I want something to read, although in this day of tablets my reading material is more compact. I am also more comfortable that I have my jewelry with me, unless it is costume stuff. I have mostly costume stuff with me when flying, except for earrings, only because I can only wear gold in my ears if I wear a pair of earrings over a couple of hours. but that is small enough to just have a small velvet bag in my purse with them.

We were flying United, first class, Boston to Fort Wayne, with a connection in Chicago. I worried they would make us check our regulation size carryons for the connecing flight.
You may have been in First class from BOS-ORD but United does not service Ft Wayne with planes outfitted with a first class cabin. The reason they "demanded" that you check the bag is the small CRJ aircraft have very tiny bins that are not big enough to hold a regulation size 22' carry on bag. United accommodate passengers with these larger bags by allowing them to be checked plane side. They will put a blue tag on your bag and it will be stored in the cargo hold. When you land at your destination you will wait plane side again and the blue tagged bags will be brought out for you. This is different than when on a mainline plane and the bins are full then the gate agent will check your bag with with a regular luggage tag which will then require you to go to baggage claim to collect your bag.

While you may have interpreted United's actions as hostile, the bins are simply unable to hold large rolling suitcases on the CRJ aircraft

How about pre-packing the small tote with your jewelry, medication, etc. and placing it in your carry-on. That way, it's ready to just grab and go if needed.

Great idea...why didn't I think of that??

We also have a smallish cloth bag we keep in our hand luggage, just in case we are told to check the handluggage. the bag is specifically for jewellery, meds and electronics and it has a velco fastening.

Sandy in Spain

That is what we do. I am a basketball official and wear a medic-alert bracelet. Since bracelets are a no-no on the court I ordered a cheap dog-tag style for games. Believe it or not, that cheap thing came in a nice (both material and size) zippered bag. Since then we both put our jewelry (we don't travel with much) in there and put it in the small pocket of my backpack where we keep phone and cameral cords. Works great and that bag never leaves me as it fits under seats.

You may have been in First class from BOS-ORD but United does not service Ft Wayne with planes outfitted with a first class cabin. The reason they "demanded" that you check the bag is the small CRJ aircraft have very tiny bins that are not big enough to hold a regulation size 22' carry on bag. United accommodate passengers with these larger bags by allowing them to be checked plane side. They will put a blue tag on your bag and it will be stored in the cargo hold. When you land at your destination you will wait plane side again and the blue tagged bags will be brought out for you. This is different than when on a mainline plane and the bins are full then the gate agent will check your bag with with a regular luggage tag which will then require you to go to baggage claim to collect your bag.

While you may have interpreted United's actions as hostile, the bins are simply unable to hold large rolling suitcases on the CRJ aircraft

Yes. That is accurate.

Our bags were taken and stored in cargo hold.

They were returned to us at the gate when we arrived at Fort Wayne.

That is what we do. I am a basketball official and wear a medic-alert bracelet. Since bracelets are a no-no on the court I ordered a cheap dog-tag style for games. Believe it or not, that cheap thing came in a nice (both material and size) zippered bag. Since then we both put our jewelry (we don't travel with much) in there and put it in the small pocket of my backpack where we keep phone and cameral cords. Works great and that bag never leaves me as it fits under seats.

Backpacks are not good in Europe-pickpockets are good with those. when we were on our tour in France several years ago, a man on that tour with us got his passport and credit cards stolen that he had in his back pack. He had gone out in Paris in the evening when were had no scheduled tour and had taken a bus. He thought it happened on the bus. The hotel personnel were very good to him. They helped to get him in touch with the US Embassy, told him where he could go to get a regulation photo,etc. so he could have his passport replaced.

a friend of ours got his fanny pack pick pocketed in Rome, Italy. He was also on a bus and he said a guy had fell against him and he thinks that is when it happened to him.

Because of those two incidents I use a neck wallet when out and about in Europe and I keep it INSIDE my clothing.

We also splurged and hired a taxi driver when we toured Barcelona, as we had heard Barcelona is worse than Paris and Rome for pickpockets. I was just not comfortable using their public transportation.

Edited by momofmeg

Yes, and when our luggage was lost by the airlines years ago and never found, I was surprised to find out that when the airline contract said they would not reimburse for "jewelry," they meant all jewelry, even inexpensive costume jewelry! I don't know why I thought differently, but I just assumed "jewelry" meant expensive (precious) stuff. So now even my WalMart earrings and Target bracelets fly in the cabin with me.

This same situation has happened to me as well. Both times a complete surprise as my carry on was smaller than a 22". Incidents were several years apart, different airlines. I now pack a tote bag that fits under the seat with meds, jewelry,camera and any small electrinics. My roll aboard is also very small in comparison to most.

I'm just not willing to go through that again.I'm always surprised at how much people try to haul onboard a plane. It's no wonder the last people boarding a plane are out of luck.

Good point; it is one reason we both now use under-seat bags as our 'personal item'. We can put a change of clothes and all our electronics, medications, jewelry and wallets in there with room to spare. Those bags stay with us regardless of overhead space or number of bags rules. (And in a real pinch, should all carryons be banned in an emergency, the pockets on the scottevest can be jammed full of items I want with me.)

Since the airlines started charging for bags, the overhead bins are loaded with carry-ons.I wish all carry-ons had to be under seat size.

Since the airlines started charging for bags, the overhead bins are loaded with carry-ons.I wish all carry-ons had to be under seat size.

Absolutely. We have relatively small carry-ons (got them in 2008 for our first cruise to Alaska) and I checked airline websites to see what their carry-on policy was. Took the smallest of each of the dimensions and used that to choose our bags - so they will fit under the seat in most planes. :)

We have small backpacks as our "personal item" - cameras, meds, jewelry, tablets, etc. go in those. If the plane we're on has the smaller overhead bins we can put the backpacks in there and still stash the bigger bags under the seat in front of us.

What really bugs me is the folks with the 22 inch bags with the wheels - the ones that will only fit sideways in the overhead bins. They're taking up my space.

I always have my jewelry, electronics, medications, passport, cash and credit cards, travel documents, make up, and a clean shirt in my smaller carry on which will fit under the seat. Always. I don't screw around with re-packing at the gate, as the small personal item is already packed with the things I won't check.

I disagree. I think they all need to be 20" or less so they will fit wheels in in the overheads.