Table for two at breakfast

sharco7

Going on the Westerdam and was wondering if we can request a table for two in the main dinning room for breakfast? We usually eat breakfast in the lido but thought it would be nice to try the dinning room. Thanks

sharco7,

If you are wanting privacy, you may want to let that be known when you make your request. Some of the tables for 2 are grouped with several sets of tables for 2, with very little space between tables (so in some places, it's kind of like a table for 6 with a little space between each table), while others are much more private. If you've seen a particular table you'd like, you may be able to request it. If there's a table that I like, I'll write down its number so that I can request it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by syesmar

Yes, you can. I asked for a table for one on one morning. But, I was seated at one of the worst positioned tables in the MDR. I did not "object" for personal reasons. But, as a 4 Star Mariner on the Noordam in January, it was just one more reason I left the ship feeling under-appreciated as a loyal guest.

Good to know. Not that we aren't social, but sometimes we'd rather be with a group, other times just the two of us.

As you can tell I am new here, but I can't be the only one who, when I read the title of the thread, opened it up to see if the OP had a ton of posts or not :)

No offense OP, just thought it was interesting -- from a fellow Wisconsinite.

--TD

Good to know. Not that we aren't social, but sometimes we'd rather be with a group, other times just the two of us.

As you can tell I am new here, but I can't be the only one who, when I read the title of the thread, opened it up to see if the OP had a ton of posts or not :)

No offense OP, just thought it was interesting -- from a fellow Wisconsinite.

--TD

I applaud people that ask for a table for 2. It's extremely uncomfortable to be sitting with people at a large table that don't say a word. Welcome to cruise critic :).

Edited by cruz chic

I applaud people that ask for a table for 2. It's extremely uncomfortable to be sitting with people at a large table that don't say a word.

No disagreement from me cruz chic.

I must admit I am not a morning person, and more likely to want a private table in the morning as opposed to the evening.

Not the best company until a few coffees -- ask my wife :)

Edited by TommyD1966
tyyppoo

No disagreement from me cruz chic.

I must admit I am not a morning person, and more likely to want a private table in the morning as opposed to the evening.

Not the best company until a few coffees -- ask my wife :)

I hear you. I would say I am a morning person but I can be cranky before the coffee.

Yes, you can. I asked for a table for one on one morning. But, I was seated at one of the worst positioned tables in the MDR. I did not "object" for personal reasons. But, as a 4 Star Mariner on the Noordam in January, it was just one more reason I left the ship feeling under-appreciated as a loyal guest.

I know that the podium staff ask for your cabin number at dinner time. But do they ask at breakfast? And even if they did, would that let them know you're a 4-Star? Do stars affect the table you get in the MDR when it's open seating?

I know that the podium staff ask for your cabin number at dinner time. But do they ask at breakfast? And even if they did, would that let them know you're a 4-Star? Do stars affect the table you get in the MDR when it's open seating?

They do ask for your cabin number in the morning. I suspect your star level is shown on there. Many times in open dining I'm noticing the staff addressing me by name when they don't do it with others at the table. I doubt that your stars get you a better table but I really don't care where I sit. I had way more problem with rude pax on my last cruise. Several times I would get to a table only to be told they were "saving" the open spot for someone. It's beyond me why they would t tell the person at the podium that:rolleyes:. It was very embarrassing for me.

They do ask for your cabin number in the morning. I suspect your star level is shown on there. Many times in open dining I'm noticing the staff addressing me by name when they don't do it with others at the table. I doubt that your stars get you a better table but I really don't care where I sit. I had way more problem with rude pax on my last cruise. Several times I would get to a table only to be told they were "saving" the open spot for someone. It's beyond me why they would t tell the person at the podium that:rolleyes:. It was very embarrassing for me.

I just realized that I have never had breakfast in the MDR. If we have NS, we eat breakfast at Pinnacle. Otherwise we go to the Lido. I actually like the Lido for breakfast and lunch. I can focus on all the nice fresh fruit and salads and not think about pancakes or French toast...

Your earlier comment about people not speaking to others at the table hit home. On our last cruise on NCL, when freestyle was just starting, we had an awkward dinner. There were two people halfway through their meal at a 4-top and we were put there. We tried to talk to them, but even "hello" got no response. Soooo uncomfortable!

I just realized that I have never had breakfast in the MDR. If we have NS, we eat breakfast at Pinnacle. Otherwise we go to the Lido. I actually like the Lido for breakfast and lunch. I can focus on all the nice fresh fruit and salads and not think about pancakes or French toast...

Your earlier comment about people not speaking to others at the table hit home. On our last cruise on NCL, when freestyle was just starting, we had an awkward dinner. There were two people halfway through their meal at a 4-top and we were put there. We tried to talk to them, but even "hello" got no response. Soooo uncomfortable!

I love breakfast in the pinnacle. Usually it's not in the cards for me. I can't stand the lido so I go to the MDR every chance I get. There is a fair amount of fruit available there and they bring you coffee:). Love that. I really don't like joining people who are already eating. It did turn out ok on the Veendam in one case. I met a couple of ladies I ending up eating with every night on week one. That was a happy accident.

I think this situation is more indicative of how solo diners are sometimes treated in general. Whoever is doing the seating somehow thinks it's okay to give the crappy tables to a party of one.

I usually go to the Lido for breakfast these days because the dining room kept running out of the mini chocolate croissants (I DO have my priorities, after all). But there were times when I was asked if I would share a table and I said yes, only to be led to an empty table for six or eight where I had to wait a really long time for others to be seated before a server would even approach me.

I think I'd prefer the crappy table over that. :rolleyes:

I think it was rude and unprofessional of the person seating you to bring you to a table where people were half done with their meal. Surely he could have found a table with guests just seated or on your own. I likely would have asked to be seated elsewhere if, as a single, a host/Dining Room Manager put me in that uncomfortable circumstance.

[/b]

I think it was rude and unprofessional of the person seating you to bring you to a table where people were half done with their meal. Surely he could have found a table with guests just seated or on your own. I likely would have asked to be seated elsewhere if, as a single, a host/Dining Room Manager put me in that uncomfortable circumstance.

[/b]

I really don't think they give it much thought. They see where there is a spot and stick you there. After I was told I couldn't join table a few times in the morning by the rude passangers I went back up to the podium and asked him how is it that I keep getting sent to these table with no room. He told me its not easy to seat 1300 passangers. The fact is he wasn't doing that. That said, he was a nice man and I think these people didn't tell him that there were extra people. Any time you have open seating I'm sure it's a pain. It was rare on the Veendam when everyone at the table was eating at the same time fir breakfast service.

Edited by cruz chic

We experienced the opposite one year on a cruise, when our charters still had a formal night.

Five of us were willing to share a table and they took is to a six top that already had one guy there. I felt bad for him that they put him alone at a table (I don't know how long he sat there before we got there). And this on formal night.

He appeared awkward about the situation but we did our best to make him comfortable and included and he relaxed.

Edited by Boytjie

I think this situation is more indicative of how solo diners are sometimes treated in general. Whoever is doing the seating somehow thinks it's okay to give the crappy tables to a party of one.

I usually go to the Lido for breakfast these days because the dining room kept running out of the mini chocolate croissants (I DO have my priorities, after all). But there were times when I was asked if I would share a table and I said yes, only to be led to an empty table for six or eight where I had to wait a really long time for others to be seated before a server would even approach me.

I think I'd prefer the crappy table over that. :rolleyes:

I had that happen one morning on another line. No waiter, no coffee until the table was full. I wasn't terribly hungry and ordered only a "main course" while everyone else ordered zillions of things. I had to sit through their cereal and fruit and who knows what else before I got my omelet. I like a large table at dinner, but I've learned to ask to sit alone at breakfast.

And I've heard your comment about the way singles are treated before. It happens with cabins, too. A friend was sailing with family and she booked a single cabin. She got stuck in a small quad upper/lower. Why did she need bunk beds when she was alone?

I had that happen one morning on another line. No waiter, no coffee until the table was full. . . .

I, too, have had a similar experience. Once when I was dining in the MDR alone for breakfast, there was a chance my husband would join me later and I mentioned this in passing when asking for a table by myself. Not realizing they were waiting for him and wondering what was taking so long, after about 25 minutes I signaled a steward that I was ready to order. Lesson learned! From then on if I was alone, I kept the possibility of being joined later to myself:) Other than that, I have always been served rather quickly in the MDR for breakfast.

Edited by syesmar

I applaud people that ask for a table for 2. It's extremely uncomfortable to be sitting with people at a large table that don't say a word. :).

There have always seemed to be a bunch of grumpy people for breakfast at a large table. Many times they won't speak to you or acknowledge you're there.