Stay Safe During the Snow Storm

geocruiser

Sounds like you have preps well in hand. Add some battery lights/candles and you are ready for a Valentine's Day blizzard.

Stay safe and warm and hopefully you'll ride the storm out well.

Those are on hand Sail. They haven't gone anywhere in three weeks.

You stay safe and warm too. Hoping you hold your power - it's no fun in the cold without it.

Just had 3" snow in 35 mins. Winds now blowing 45 mph. Temp has dropped 21 degrees in an hour. Winedchill tonight supposed to be -30. Good times!

hope you got off that roof you kind hearted person.

Stay safe and stay warm.

I just can't believe the low temps you are all having besides the snow and wind. Every one please stay safe and warm. Remember to have drinking water in the house. Just in case the power goes out from where the water supply is being pumped from.

To those of you who are traveling have a safe trip.

While we live in Texas now (I won't tell you what our forecast is for today) we're originally from Michigan (my parents retired to northern Michigan and one winter got 35 inches of snow in a couple of days) and spent one winter in North Dakota with average -35 daytime temps and DH was working in the oil fields with -80 wind chill at times. So I know what that kind of weather is like. Stay inside and stay warm, everyone.

Thinking of all my eastern seaboard friends. We didn't get much snow but the blowing was causing white outs. I have never seen blowing snow (in daylight) like this. The wind chill is minus 54 :eek: and that is too cold to venture outside. Exposed skin will freeze in minutes.

I hope this winter ends...soon.

Keep safe everyone.

We made it safely to Ft. lauderdale yesterday for our Monday cruise on Noordam. Just saw it is 8 with a -15 wind chill in Northern Virginia with snow on the way tomorrow and wind gusts in the 50's.. Fortunately I shut off the water and drained the pipes. Just hope the power stays on or is not out for too long.

Hoping fellow Noordam cruisers are also already here or safely on the way.

We made it safely to Ft. lauderdale yesterday for our Monday cruise on Noordam. Just saw it is 8 with a -15 wind chill in Northern Virginia with snow on the way tomorrow and wind gusts in the 50's.. Fortunately I shut off the water and drained the pipes. Just hope the power stays on or is not out for too long.

Very happy to hear that you made is safe to Fort Lauderdale. We drain our pipes when we head down south for the winter too.

Our forecast is for 2-3 inches (inches, not feet folks) and temps in the teens and folks here are panicking. I've got the important stuff, coffee and dog food. I do not plan on getting anywhere near a grocery store, unless it is to get some half price valentine candy.

I hope you folks who are actually getting winter weather are okay. Dream of a warm HAL cruise.

Edited by lka1012

Happy you made it safely to FLL.

Have a great cruise.

I was so nervous last night and slept with the tv on. I wanted to know if the power went off. :o I slept fitfully and kept waking to see if the tv was still on. :D

Another 12" of snow fell, the temperatures are fierce and the wind is strong. I had my roofs shoveled this week and think I need to do it again if the snow keeps drifting and blowing.

I have 8' fencing around my yard and I can't see the top of it in many spots.

I don't know the exact specifics but think I heard we have the most snow on the ground we have ever had in recorded weather history.

More snow predicted for Tuesday night into Wednesday. Sigh........

BUT all who are dear to me kept their power and for that I am grateful.

I was so nervous last night and slept with the tv on. I wanted to know if the power went off. :o I slept fitfully and kept waking to see if the tv was still on. :D

Another 12" of snow fell, the temperatures are fierce and the wind is strong. I had my roofs shoveled this week and think I need to do it again if the snow keeps drifting and blowing.

I have 8' fencing around my yard and I can't see the top of it in many spots.

I don't know the exact specifics but think I heard we have the most snow on the ground we have ever had in recorded weather history.

More snow predicted for Tuesday night into Wednesday. Sigh........

BUT all who are dear to me kept their power and for that I am grateful.

Sorry to hear that you were up last night. Try to get some sleep tonight. It was good that you had your roof shoveled. Will be praying for yours and every ones power to stay on.

the blizzard started very early this morning. when I went to take the dogs out, there was so much snow in their path that only Master Marley went out.

I had to carry Fox out front so she could get some relief on the porch. (normally forbidden)

We can't deal with the path as the wind is still blowing and the snow is still falling. So DH cleaned the front sidewalk which seems to have only two feet of snow being somewhat protected and the dogs can now make their way out.

the snow bank on the deck for the dogs path is now higher than the pergola out back! I can't see out the back kitchen window and just the sky out the deck door. hope the dogs are well behaved in the morning as I fear we will have to go out front somehow until we can deal with the back. uggher.

and it just keeps coming.

Sorry to hear that you were up last night. Try to get some sleep tonight. It was good that you had your roof shoveled. Will be praying for yours and every ones power to stay on.

What a nice message. Thank you, geocruiser.

Kazu........ take it easy. The last thing you want is to fall. Be careful in this horrid weather.

kazu,

I hope that the dogs are able to get out in the AM. It is so hard for them at this time too. With the cold temps I bet they will be real fast. It is nice that you do have the dogs for company during the storm. Dogs can keep you very entertained with their playful nature. Be careful removing the snow.

sail7seas,

Keep positive. Have your cell phone charged up and close by. I am the queen of worry. Last year we stayed up north until the second week of Jan. I live two miles from Lake Ontario and it was clod and snowy. It was not as bad as now, but I worried about the power and water going out. But it didn't go out. What I did was to make sure I had candles and matches and knew where they were. Had food in my house that did not need to be cooked. My pills all in one place. And phone numbers of my neighbor. I never need it, but I felt a lot better knowing I was ready. I knew what we would do if we had to leave the house. Keep strong. Keep you faith strong at time like this.

Edited by geocruiser