Suggestions for overnight flight

katrina915

Get some "5htp" pills from your local pharmacy and you will sleep like a baby and wake-up really fit. And because this is only amino-acid, you don't have to worry if you also want to drink a glass of wine with dinner.

Our flights back the UK from the US are always overnights, I usually get up early the day of flying and then after take off have a couple of glasses of wine and that usually sends me off (I try and be in a window seat also so no one has to disturb me if they need the bathroom).

Buy a Business-class seat on an airline that offers lay-flat seats ;)

I've tried so many different pillows, neck wraps, and I haven't found one that was comfortable for me. My one thing is that I have an inflatable foot rest that brings my feet off the floor and makes it a little easier to be comfortable. After that, I just try my best. It's never a good sleep.

Good luck!

From my experience there are those people who can sleep on a flight (my wife) and those that can't. (me). Nothing I've done or tried has changed that.

Good luck if any of the suggestions work for you.

Flying business class certainly helps. There's some airlines who have the option to book 2 class fares (for ex. Yclass on the outbond and Cclass on the inbound). Also some airlines sell last-minute upgrades at the airport. Be sure to check with your airline however, because they don't all do this. When I fly economy, I never sleep. At most, I'm in the state between sleeping and being awake. When flying business class, I'm having troubles watching 2 entire films simply because of the flat beds. A mixed class ticket will sell roughly for around $1.700 (this is West-Europe - East Coast USA). To me, it's worth the money because you get the double miles etc. and I happily pay the extra for a comfortable seat on an overnight flight.

Flying business class certainly helps. There's some airlines who have the option to book 2 class fares (for ex. Yclass on the outbond and Cclass on the inbound). Also some airlines sell last-minute upgrades at the airport. Be sure to check with your airline however, because they don't all do this. When I fly economy, I never sleep. At most, I'm in the state between sleeping and being awake. When flying business class, I'm having troubles watching 2 entire films simply because of the flat beds. A mixed class ticket will sell roughly for around $1.700 (this is West-Europe - East Coast USA). To me, it's worth the money because you get the double miles etc. and I happily pay the extra for a comfortable seat on an overnight flight.

Which airlines sell mixed class tickets? I have searched but never found any way to buy that kind of tickets. $1.700 sounds very cheap!

Which airlines sell mixed class tickets?

I've seen the capacity to do this on Air Canada, and on Air France and British Airways, you can chose between Economy and Premium Economy for each direction - not Business, but certainly an improvement.

I am flying American Airlines and paid a little bit more to get 3-6 more inches of legroom (wow!) in Economy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am a reader so will have my e reader with audio books.

So no one has found a neck pillow that helps?

So no one has found a neck pillow that helps?

I find neck pillows all to be quite uncomfortable for me.

The one thing that did help me sleep - other than the aforementioned melatonin, really the best stuff to take - is that we were in Premium Economy on BA, and the seats had leg rests that came up when you reclined your seat. As absurd as it sounds, having that leg support actually helped me get to sleep.

I learned my lesson -- after taking all those overnight flights, we tried an early morning flight (JFK -- LHR), arriving at 7:30pm (19:30). No sleep problems and no Jetlag. This is the only way to go for us now on.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

My best suggestion for sleep is to have on soft comfy clothes. As a female I usually wear dark yoga pants, cardigan and carry a light shawl to use like a blanket. The lights may not be dimmed till after any meal and drink services so a sleep mask is also helpful.

I am not a fan of eating the airline food. It is greasy and digesting while trying to sleep is difficult. Eat a decent meal at the airport and then buy a big bottle of water to stay hydrated on the flight with dry air.

Which airlines sell mixed class tickets? I have searched but never found any way to buy that kind of tickets. $1.700 sounds very cheap!

American does. They will let you book a R/T ticket with one class of service on one leg an a different one on the other. Easy peasy. Right from the web site. As you make your selections, the prices change to reflect what you want to fly.

I've been able to do it for Alitalia, JetAirways en British Airways (I could buy an Y and C cabin in the same ticket, but it's a while ago). If you wanna gamble, you can safe a lot of money by buying a regular economy ticket and upgrade at a discount rate at the airpot when you check in. Not all airlines do this, but some examples are KLM, Etihad, American (not sure they still do this, but I've done it once)

I've found that if you get online and check in 24 hours before (or as close as you can), you will be offered the chance to upgrade for around $800 on US Air and American (they're soon merging). I generally buy very cheap fares at around 800-900 from Phoenix to overseas with a layover at a hub like Charlotte or Philly. Then, I buy the upgrade. That's how you get the price down so much. Business class ahead of time is way more than that.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've seen the capacity to do this on Air Canada, and on Air France and British Airways, you can chose between Economy and Premium Economy for each direction - not Business, but certainly an improvement.

Thank you for your answer. I have tried to book mixed class tickets on BA but have not been able to do it. The reason can be that on the flights between Stockholm and London they don't have Economy Extra so if I shall fly to the US they can't offer that option all the way.

I'm not very interested to pay the price for Economy Extra.

American does. They will let you book a R/T ticket with one class of service on one leg an a different one on the other. Easy peasy. Right from the web site. As you make your selections, the prices change to reflect what you want to fly.

Thank you for your answer. AA is NOT an option for me. We flied with them once and we will never do that again! Domestic is okay but the standard of the plane we flew from Miami to London is far from what we expect.

Thank you for your answer. AA is NOT an option for me. We flied with them once and we will never do that again! Domestic is okay but the standard of the plane we flew from Miami to London is far from what we expect.

I agree that AA has really gone down hill. My last two flights with them were less than stellar. In addition, they just cancelled all my rewards points (over 20,000), so they won't get my business any more. United/Continental is expensive and I've never been a fan. Free standing Continental was fine, but the merger brought them down. A bit neutral about US Air.

Delta is actually getting better. Alaska Air and Southwest are my preferred domestic airlines, and we use European airlines for flights to Europe. Hawaiian Air is good to the islands.

Of course, this is a moving target and things change.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I still like the foreign lines. Just off Lufthansa with its 747s. Great legroom even in coach. Suits my 6ft3" friend. Unlimited drinks, always on time. Food still good. Hits every airport in Europe.

Archived