A couple of questions please? 1st timers

TheHopes

Hi all,

Great place to get info for first timers.

I have a couple of questions

Sailing from Fort Lauderdale,how long should we give ourself to drive from Orlando and what time can you board?

Thanks

You need to be checked in 2 hrs prior to sail away so work backwards from that point

I would allow 4 hrs just incase of delays but then I am a worry wart ;)

Port Everglades can be a real zoo when 5+ ships are embarking on the same day. Allow enough time for the lines at the security checkpoint going in and parking. You can board around 11 - 11:30 am.

Roz

It doesn't hurt to get there early. Arriving at the pier between 10:00 and 10:30 is not out of order and you won't be the only one doing that. I can't tell you when to leave Orlando, it depends on where you are in Orlando. You should be able figure that out yourself by working backwards from 10:30.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and yes this site is very helpful, not only to beginning cruisers, but those with a few cruises under their belts as well. It appears, so far at least, that arriving in the neighborhood of 10:30-12:00 would not be unreasonable. I try to arrive about 11:00 +- and I'm flying in from the Left Coast.

Edited by Treven

When we drove to Fort Lauderdale from North Carolina in December, we aimed to get to the port around 11 in the morning. We stopped near Port St. Lucie to spend the night. I'm glad we were close, because there was a major delay on I-95 the morning of our cruise. We ended up getting off the Interstate and driving through Boca Raton to avoid the area where there was an accident.

I went on google maps and inputted in the port and Orlando and it says three hours without traffic. Maybe you can do the same but use the same day of the week of your cruise and see what it says for early morning.

I would definitely pad in lots of time, just in case there's traffic problems. Aim for getting to the port around 10am or 11am (if you get there too early, you can always find a local place to hang out like a diner for a late breakfast).

although most people assume using I-95, don't forget about the Florida Turnpike. Yes, it is a toll road but quite reasonable. Also, there are many fewer exits, so it

is often a faster way to go. Even when I lived in Boca Raton near I-95 I usually took the Turnpike to Ft. Lauderdale and the ports. Just a less stressful, more pleasant way to go.

Trainer-Sue Ann,

Your signature says you live in Venice. My parents live there! I love that town!

They lived on the other side of FL first and then moved over to Venice. I agree with the turnpike comments.

Small world!!

If you can drive down the day before when you can take your time and not worry about traffic. Find an inexpensive hotel and drive to the port the morning of the cruise. A better way to start a vacation.

• 3 months later...

Thanks everyone for the advice.I guess if we leave around 7am Monday Nov 30th and use the turnpike we should be OK.... I hope[emoji57]

One other question please?

I am assuming we drop the Alamo car at FLL airport, is that correct or is there a more convenient Alamo near to the cruise port?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice.I guess if we leave around 7am Monday Nov 30th and use the turnpike we should be OK.... I hope[emoji57]

I am assuming we drop the Alamo car at FLL airport, is that correct or is there a more convenient Alamo near to the cruise port?

Thanks

You can get detailed advice on the Florida Departures board here at CC, under North American Homeports. EM

Allow over an hour to drop off the rental. The FLL airport and the cruise terminal are pretty much within sight of each other. If Alamo is like most car rental outfits, they will provide a ride to the cruise port. Allow another hour for that.

I would depart ORL at about 5 AM, but I hate to be late and do not mind waiting around. :)

Enjoy,

Doc

Thanks

We live about 45 minutes north of Orlando. In the past, we drove down to Ft Lauderdale and also to Miami in the morning, left around 6 am, gave us plenty of time. In Ft. Lauderdale we dropped the rental car off at a small Hertz station (in the basement of a hotel) close to the cruise port. Their shuttle took us to the terminal building. Since this was a while ago, check whether this convenient solution is still available.