Renting Jewelry

cujo67chevy

Like most everyone else, my wife and I love to dress up for formal night. I would like to get my wife a necklace and earrings but can't afford to buy real expensive ones. We are in the Houston area and will be going on the Carnival Liberty out of San Juan.

Is there a place in Houston, on the ship or in San Juan that I can rent jewelry?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Just buy some costume jewelry! You'll pay tons to "rent" fine jewelry.....if it's even possible to do! Nothing wrong with costume! There are different "grades" of costume....cheap won't last long, but moderate will look great and last quite a while...and it's hers forever! Check out some of your department stores...

No need to do "the real thing" for a cruise. No one is going to care or notice!

Edited by cb at sea

Costume jewelry is the way to go. It has come a long way and looks totally real. If I rented jewelry I would be terrified the whole time something might happen to it. Same with real jewelry - why worry about theft or misplacing it. Check out HSN.com and QVC.com and you will be amazed. Their man-made stones look totally real. I wear a lot of their jewelry side-by-side with the real thing and you can't tell the difference. (Actually, sometimes it looks better than real.)

All department stores have nice costume jewelry.

I bought some Crislu years ago at Nordstroms. Even our snooty relatives thought my earrings were real.

At the cheaper end there is Charming Charlie's, Icing or Clair's.

Cujo 64 chevy

In the old days I use to buy jewelry from Avon and it last me a long time.Then I got a great job then I started buying the rill thing then lost that job because of sister in law she cost me my job.Now back to Avon but still I got my love one.As long as you got love you are rich.

While I agree with everyone who said costume jewelry, I notice you did not say whether you were looking for gemstones or metals. Metals can be tricky if you are looking at something a little heavier, it needs to be really good costume jewelry and I find that if it is gemstones I want Swarovski crystals.

In answer to your original question though, the only place that I know of that rents accessories like jewelry is Rent the Runway. Google it and read their terms.

Have a great cruise!

This summer, we have had at least 3 return bags for Rent The Runway at our Front Desk every Monday morning from women who used RTR for dresses for attending weddings at our resort. I don't know if any of them rented accessories to go with the dresses, but I think it's a great idea! Men have been renting their tuxes and accessories for ages, why not women????????

RTR has some very nice faux fashion jewelry at very good prices for rent. If you don't go formal/fancy all that often, it's a good choice instead of buying and having the jewelry just sitting in it's box in a case 364 days a year...

Don't try to be something you aren't. It is never worth it. Be proud of your wife and yourself for being just who you are. You don't need rental jewels to be special. Your smiles and happiness together on your cruise should shine brightly without sparklers. :)

Were that me wearing something that is supposed to represent 'my jewelry', I'd feel like a phony

JMO.....

Edited by sail7seas

RTR doesn't rent Harry Winston; it rents the stuff you'd buy at Nordstom and the like, maybe an occasional Saks. If I was forced to do a formal, I'd definitely think about renting a dress AND that statement piece with earrings from RTR and take my savings for a nice massage or something I really want to buy and own…

Even if you own the real stuff, I would not take it on a cruise. You are just asking to have it disappear. Everyone is fine with costume jewelry. It is all about the bling and having fun. It is not like having tea with the queen. ;) And really, who wants to worry about having to protect that stuff.

I have some really good 'bling' that were not cheap but at the same time if real would have cost a stratospheric amount. I pack quite a lot of it because it takes up a small space and formal gear doesn't. This way I can mix and match my few basic black formal clothes with interchangeable light colourful lightweight jackets and/or tops and then dress it all up with dramatic statement pieces which makes each outfit look individual.

These statement pieces can also be toned down (by wearing only one piece) to go with my smart casual that I wear for dinner on non formal evenings, taking them to the next level of looking just a little dressier.

With my DH and I being only on an average income, I only have a very few pieces of expensive jewellery, I would never take these pieces on a cruise for fear of losing them and the increase in my travel insurance to have them covered if this happened.

Even if you own the real stuff, I would not take it on a cruise. You are just asking to have it disappear. Everyone is fine with costume jewelry. It is all about the bling and having fun. It is not like having tea with the queen. ;) And really, who wants to worry about having to protect that stuff.

Not everyone. :o

For some odd reason, I never cared for costume jewelry. I know it is very popular these days as gold and gemstones have become so pricey but I'd rather wear a beautiful scarf than a necklace made of mystery metal and whatever. I know I am an exception but when everyone is lumped together, there usually is one dissenter. :) I have some real jewelry, I take it on cruises and I am careful to lock it up. Why own any if you don't wear it is my viewpoint.

Not everyone. :o

For some odd reason, I never cared for costume jewelry. I know it is very popular these days as gold and gemstones have become so pricey but I'd rather wear a beautiful scarf than a necklace made of mystery metal and whatever. I know I am an exception but when everyone is lumped together, there usually is one dissenter. :) I have some real jewelry, I take it on cruises and I am careful to lock it up. Why own any if you don't wear it is my viewpoint.

You can count me in the same group, Sail. Not that I don't have my share of cheap-n-cheerful jewelry, but when it comes to gemstones, I prefer small and real to large and fake any day.

Even if you own the real stuff, I would not take it on a cruise. You are just asking to have it disappear.

I don't agree.....unless someone is just so careless that they can't be trusted to take care of their valuables. Quality jewelry has trustworthy safety clasps and logically, you would only take off the jewelery in your cabin and put it right into the safe....mainly, to keep everything together and organized. It's never a good idea to wear expensive pieces in ports but I don't understand why it would be a problem on board. :)

I don't agree.....unless someone is just so careless that they can't be trusted to take care of their valuables. Quality jewelry has trustworthy safety clasps and logically, you would only take off the jewelery in your cabin and put it right into the safe....mainly, to keep everything together and organized. It's never a good idea to wear expensive pieces in ports but I don't understand why it would be a problem on board. :)

I'm with you :D Neither of us wears jewelry in port, but I certainly make up for that onboard. I take my good jewelry cruising with me. Otherwise it would never get to go anywhere ;)

Otherwise it would never get to go anywhere ;)

Exactly.......my theory is.......if you can't wear it on a cruise, then where???? Besides, you are a lot safer wearing it on board than you are in the streets on the way to the car. Depending where you live, of course. :D

Real jewelry doesn't have to be expensive.

Freshwater pearls are gorgeous and don't cost a lot.

Semi precious stones also aren't expensive.

I'm not the small and real vs large and fake person. Small is just small to me.

Also, many jewelers have layaway.

Ditto, I lock it up when I take it off, plus they are insured. I never wear anything but a watch and my wedding ring in ports of call.