Call xxxxxx, is not really that helpful

Every post to this site seems to be responded with call insuremy trip or their rep.

That's saying call a salesperson which is ok but hey folks want to know what others enperiences with particular companies are.

Every post on every board could be responded with call the cruise line, call your ta, call the airline, call the tour operator, call the insurance company.... Please share your thoughts and experiences.

We used hear about what company cruisers picked, the exact policy, and why they picked them, it helped with our own decisions when dealing with the salespersons. Now mostly it's call xxx and they will tell you what to do, not as helpful as here is what I know but check with xxxxxx.

Just my feelings, don't mean to annoy anyone.

I think insurance has become more complex in recent years due to the addition to many different insurance products in the travel insurance industry. It is no longer a one policy fits all kind of thing. And some travel policies (especially those with trip cancellation coverage) are quite expensive. That is why many wise folks will not recommend specific policies or even insurance companies. For example, DW and I traveled outside the US for about 7 months last year of which 77 days were on cruises. We choose not to buy any kind of cancellation insurance since the cost to cover all of our trips is ridiculous. So we self-insure cancallation and estimate we are ahead of the game by well over $100,000 (what we have saved by not buying cancellation insurance over the years). However, we do buy an good annual travel medical policy ($250,000 of major med coverage and $500,000 of emergency evacuation). That one annual policy costs us $349 a year (total cost for the two of us) and covers the first 70 days of every trip we take during the entire policy year. We make sure to keep our trips shorter then 70 days (we took three 2 month trips last year).

My point is that each travelers/cruiser needs to assess their own needs and then look for the policy that best fits what they need. Do not get conned into buying something you do not need....and always make sure you have decent medical coverage. Remember, the amount you lose by cancelling or interrupting is limited. But your medical liability is virtually unlimited. Losing the money you pay for a trip is not going to bankrupt you (you were paying for the trip anyway). But medical bills can put you into bankruptcy and ruin your life.

Hank

Well, the thing about insurance is that there's not a lot to say about your experience with it if you don't have to use it.

I can tell you that all the choices on another insurance website are mind boggling and you could spend days trying to distinguish the differences between them.

People who had claims satisfactorily settled rarely post. It's the unhappy people with issues who post and hence we only hear the bad and complicated cases which isn't fair to the insurance companies.

As far as my choice, I made sure my policy for my upcoming trip, TravelSafe Classic had generous medical coverage and evacuation coverage. Hopefully, I'll have nothing further to report on it.

Well, "call xxxxx" is both a useful and correct answer to a lot of questions:

- "I really should have bought insurance a long time ago, and need to buy it today because my (insert relative here) is really sick and I'm afraid I don't want to lose money!" Given that most of the 3rd-party insurers won't issue such a policy (at least, not a useful one), calling an insurance broker is about the only option.

- "What policy will cover (this or that really complex situation)?" We aren't insurance brokers. If nobody here has had such a situation (AND successfully filed a claim), again, calling somebody is the correct advice.

- "What's the best insurance"? A question like this is so vague, what possible use could any specific answer be without a lot of tedious back and forth?

- "Will my policy cover (such and so potential complicated claim)" What answer could be expected other than "call broker/insurer/etc."?

I think insurance has become more complex in recent years due to the addition to many different insurance products in the travel insurance industry. It is no longer a one policy fits all kind of thing. And some travel policies (especially those with trip cancellation coverage) are quite expensive. That is why many wise folks will not recommend specific policies or even insurance companies. For example, DW and I traveled outside the US for about 7 months last year of which 77 days were on cruises. We choose not to buy any kind of cancellation insurance since the cost to cover all of our trips is ridiculous. So we self-insure cancallation and estimate we are ahead of the game by well over $100,000 (what we have saved by not buying cancellation insurance over the years). However, we do buy an good annual travel medical policy ($250,000 of major med coverage and $500,000 of emergency evacuation). That one annual policy costs us $349 a year (total cost for the two of us) and covers the first 70 days of every trip we take during the entire policy year. We make sure to keep our trips shorter then 70 days (we took three 2 month trips last year).

My point is that each travelers/cruiser needs to assess their own needs and then look for the policy that best fits what they need. Do not get conned into buying something you do not need....and always make sure you have decent medical coverage. Remember, the amount you lose by cancelling or interrupting is limited. But your medical liability is virtually unlimited. Losing the money you pay for a trip is not going to bankrupt you (you were paying for the trip anyway). But medical bills can put you into bankruptcy and ruin your life.

Hank

Hank would you email me the name of the company you use please? I've spent several days looking at what is out there. clamett67@gmail.com

Thanks

Hank would you email me the name of the company you use please? I've spent several days looking at what is out there. clamett67@gmail.com

Thanks

I prefer to put this kind of info right here so others can comment (pro or con). Our current annual travel medical policy is with GeoBlue, which is an offshoot of the Blue Cross Blue Shield system. Their web site explains the policy:

https://geobluetravelinsurance.com/

There is a history of why we have this policy. Several years ago we had a travel policy offered by AMEX to their credit card holders. This policy cost less than $200 a year and gave pretty decent medical coverage for all trips not to exceed 60 days in length. But when we booked a trip that was 70 days long we started looking for a better option and went with an annual policy then sold by HTH Insurance. But then the HTH migrated over to GeoBlue.

I do want to emphasize that while an annual travel med policy can be a great policy for some travelers, it DOES not include any kind of trip cancellation coverage. This is simply a medical and trip evacuation policy. GeoBlue is also technically secondary to any other coverage you might have and I think they require you have some other form of Medical Insurance. However, they are even happy if you have basic Medicare...which does not extend any coverage outside the USA (with a couple of very rare exceptions).

Hank

...My point is that each travelers/cruiser needs to assess their own needs and then look for the policy that best fits what they need. Do not get conned into buying something you do not need....and always make sure you have decent medical coverage. Remember, the amount you lose by cancelling or interrupting is limited. But your medical liability is virtually unlimited. Losing the money you pay for a trip is not going to bankrupt you (you were paying for the trip anyway). But medical bills can put you into bankruptcy and ruin your life.

Hank

I agree wholeheartedly with the above statement. As for choosing the best policy for a traveler's needs, some pertinent facts would include:

-Do you have Pre Existing Condtitions that need to be covered?

-Do you have elderly, very young or frail health family members back home?

-Are you traveling during a period when inclement weather could impact your travel?

-Do you need work related coverage?

-Do you need to cover flight costs? Connection delays?

-Do you need CFAR coverage?

-Does your age make cruiseline coverage an attractively priced alternative?

-Do you need primary or secondary coverage?

-What coverage levels do you want?

The answers to these questions vary from one person to the next and would result in different 'best' policy recommendations. Thus, the need to Read and Understand the policy DOC before purchasing.

Travel insurance today is a tricky thing. There seem to be many many variations on policies and coverages. I never really thought much about it until I had to deal with a last minute cancellation last year. Then I got a real education. Things I assumed were covered were not, the process it self was daunting, almost challenging me to just give up. I am now one of those people who says call XXXXXXXX simple because after my experience it was good to talk some one who actually knows and understands the whole business and is willing to take the time to listen, ask questions and then suggest some policies he sells that fit your needs. So, if you have real questions, call XXXXXX and don't rely on the good folks here. We try to give the right answers but most of us don't really know. When people ask me tax questions, I refer them to a tax accountant...

Every post to this site seems to be responded with call insuremy trip or their rep.

That's saying call a salesperson which is ok but hey folks want to know what others enperiences with particular companies are.

Every post on every board could be responded with call the cruise line, call your ta, call the airline, call the tour operator, call the insurance company.... Please share your thoughts and experiences.

We used hear about what company cruisers picked, the exact policy, and why they picked them, it helped with our own decisions when dealing with the salespersons. Now mostly it's call xxx and they will tell you what to do, not as helpful as here is what I know but check with xxxxxx.

You forgot to add "Google it". The problem is that many of the questions posted to the different CC boards can be answered by one quick phone call or by a quick Google search. The OP will get the answer to their question much quickly than typing a question into CC and then waiting for someone to reply.

I definitely plead guilty to the "call" or "Google" answer and I will continue to answer questions in this way.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Part of my point is that the people selling a product is just that, salespersons.

We need actual reviews, inputs,experiences, and opinions to help deal with the sales pitches. Cheryl's list to me is the kind of list that is very helpful. The details of mr clicks experience might be helpful too, like what he assumed was covered but wasn't. I remember reading about the Iceland volcano not being covered, made me understand what weather related mean. Everything shared helps expose people to issues.

I have used the website people recommend but always had questions that posters here helped with, just hoping to put it out there that each person can share actual experiences that are very helpful.

Good points Happy Cruzin. After my really bad experience with Tin Leg et al I have learned to ask a lot more questions before I buy. I only suggest people call XXXXX because he was the one who really took the time to talk to me. He listens to your questions and asks plenty of his own trying to find the right fit for you. Sadly. there are not any real non-salespeople who are "experts" on this tricky topic.

• 4 weeks later...
Part of my point is that the people selling a product is just that, salespersons.

We need actual reviews, inputs,experiences, and opinions to help deal with the sales pitches. Cheryl's list to me is the kind of list that is very helpful. The details of mr clicks experience might be helpful too, like what he assumed was covered but wasn't. I remember reading about the Iceland volcano not being covered, made me understand what weather related mean. Everything shared helps expose people to issues.

I have used the website people recommend but always had questions that posters here helped with, just hoping to put it out there that each person can share actual experiences that are very helpful.

As we've posted elsewhere on CruiseCritic, we - yes - recommend that those interested in travel insurance call

TripInsuranceStore.com

--> But CALL them, don't just read the summaries on the website, for the reasons mentioned above.

It depends upon your specific needs, and type of travel, and health, and age... etc.

And we make this recommendation after having purchased a policy for our first major trip and then needing to make a claim.

Less than 2 weeks before departure, DH had a medical emergency, and *poof* - all travel was cancelled. :(

It was awfully nice to be able to concentrate on the health concerns, without fretting about a significant and total loss of all trip costs.

(Correction: There was one $50 deposit for a private tour that was refundable. Nothing else was at that point.)

Our policy, recommended by Steve and his associates, was with Travel Insured.

Within about 10 days of submitting all of the necessary (and appropriate, in our minds) documentation, we got a call that "the check was going out in the mail", and about a week later, we received the check.

We had coverage that did not exclude pre-existing medical conditions, and that probably helped. There was no need for TravelInsured to need to figure out if there was any such condition, as it didn't matter.

There are other reports on CruiseCritic about actual claims, both good and bad experiences.

And I wouldn't call Steve (or his associates) merely "salespeople".

There have been plenty of times (with subsequent travel) where they've explained why we probably did NOT want insurance, or a less expensive way to make travel arrangements/payments to reduce insurance costs. Or suggest a less expensive policy.

But sure, they are insurance brokers, so if they can recommend a suitable policy, they will no doubt hope the prospective client will purchase the coverage.

We also keep an annual MedJetAssist policy, as this also covers us for shorter business trips.

GeezerCouple

• 3 weeks later...

The reason folks are told to talk to someone at insuremytrip.com is because they are brokers representing many different insurance companies so can guide you to the one that is best for YOU.

If I recommend xyz company it is based on my needs which are not necessarily the same as yours. You might need a policy that includes paying for time missed from work and my insurance company might not have that kind of policy.

e.

I always do that because many of the questions on CC can be answered very quickly by typing a few words into Google and clicking on usually the 1st or 2nd hit. As an example, how many times have we seen the "what is the weather in XX in YY" question. You can get get the answer in about 10 seconds by typing exactly the same phrase into Google.

The people who use CC to ask these very simple questions are just being lazy.

Remember - Google is your friend.

DON

I prefer to put this kind of info right here so others can comment (pro or con). Our current annual travel medical policy is with GeoBlue, which is an offshoot of the Blue Cross Blue Shield system. Their web site explains the policy:

https://geobluetravelinsurance.com/

There is a history of why we have this policy. Several years ago we had a travel policy offered by AMEX to their credit card holders. This policy cost less than $200 a year and gave pretty decent medical coverage for all trips not to exceed 60 days in length. But when we booked a trip that was 70 days long we started looking for a better option and went with an annual policy then sold by HTH Insurance. But then the HTH migrated over to GeoBlue.

I do want to emphasize that while an annual travel med policy can be a great policy for some travelers, it DOES not include any kind of trip cancellation coverage. This is simply a medical and trip evacuation policy. GeoBlue is also technically secondary to any other coverage you might have and I think they require you have some other form of Medical Insurance. However, they are even happy if you have basic Medicare...which does not extend any coverage outside the USA (with a couple of very rare exceptions).

Hank

Hank,

Does GeoBlue cover pre-existing conditions?

Thanks,

Lori

Was gonna say Yes but it has been answered :). But having worked in the medical insurance industry (government side) for over thirty years I always caution anyone to always read the complete policy (including fine print) at the time you are about to purchase. Things change in the industry so today's policy might be changed tomorrow morning :).

Hank

I wish Geoblue was available, but not in Texas either.

I always end up beating my head on my computer when it comes time to buy travel medical insurance. Usually that is before final payment on cruise(s).

The problem is pre-existing conditions and on most travel insurance they want you to buy the insurance within 14-30 days of first payment. Our "first payment" is always 18+ months before the travel.

The choices become very small.

Look backs of 6 months seems kind of long to me.

We self insure for trip costs, and carry annual MedJet for evacuation.

I agree that we can find a lot of this out by spending time to Google the questions.

I also agree that it would be nice to see outcomes from people who have actually used the travel medical. Fortunately it looks like most have not had to use it which is a good thing. :)

Edited by SPacificbound

I hadn't heard of geoblue until reading this thread. It's quite interesting because it takes away the pre-existing condition concern on medical costs and on the evacuation costs from the ship to a hospital. I think MedJet is still a "must have" because it can get you from some remote hospital to one that can really treat you with the most modern procedures/techniques based on your request...not on some sort of "medical necessity" agreement between the insurance company (that doesn't want to pay for an expensive evacuation back to the US) and a remote doctor (who wants to keep you there so they can charge you fees, etc...or who decides that their treatment protocol is adquate).

That does leave the cost of the cruise, baggage loss/delay, trip delay and some other things uninsured....so one has to look a the whole picture. I am going to look to see what a travel insurance policy would cost for a trip with minimal medical and evacuation coverage...but gives you the missing coverages....that may be the third leg of having complete travel insurance.