Santorini

Baby basil

We are looking for things to do in Santorini. We have seen a wine tour offered but little else. Are there easily accessible beaches? We are not really into shopping, so we were also wondering what else we could do in Fira.

Thank you.

Santorini is absolutely stunning and we found lots to do!

If you just stay in Fira you will miss so much - especially the fantastic views and blue and white houses and churches set against the background of the caldera. It's spectacular.

We hired a car and drove to Oia before all the crowds, had a walk and took in the views, sat with a relaxing drink and left before the ship tours arrived. Then we drove right across the island to the other side and found a beach. The sand is black and volcanic and very hot but the water was clear and calm. If you like beaches then hire a car and go straight there. There were chairs and parasols for hire.

We only had a short time there, about 7 hours, but we managed to see a lot of the island. We rented our car from Tony and will be doing so again in a couple of weeks time.

Hope you have a lovey time in this exceptional place.

Edited by ellie1145

We are looking for things to do in Santorini. We have seen a wine tour offered but little else. Are there easily accessible beaches? We are not really into shopping, so we were also wondering what else we could do in Fira.

Thank you.

Santorini is special. The island is the remnant of a volcano that exploded 3500 years ago. Your ship will sail into the vacant space where the explosion blew out most of the island. The remaining part of the island is almost a crescent. At some points on the island you can see both sides of the island. The island is of course volcanic.

The villages of Oia and Fira are charming and quant perched on the escarpment overlooking the sea where the center of the old volcano once was.

It is an amazing place to visit. We wanted to see the archaeological ruins of Akrotini, but it was closed. We took a ship's winery tour, which avoided queuing for the cable car (the tender took us to a southern port where we took a bus up the escarpment). The winery visit was fun and wine was excellent.

Then we rode up the east side of the island to Oia and enjoyed that visit, then down to Fira, where the tour ended, us taking the cable car down to the tender port.

The ship had a tour to an active caldera with hot water bubbling up where you take your swim suit. The island is so rocky, I don't know if there are sandy beaches there.

Hiking from Fira to Oia will give you spectacular views...and it's mostly down hill. we learned that the hard way hiking the opposite direction. Then you can take the bus back to Fira.

Santorini is SPECTACULAR! I was just there the beginning of July. We took the donkeys up the cliff which was definitely an experience!!! I would just take the cable car up next time if I ever get the opportunity to return to Santorini, but I am glad we did it. We then walked around Fira until we found a 4-wheeler rental store. We quickly had a 4 wheeler and got to explore the island at our own pace. We traveled from one end to the other! We went and saw the black volcanic beach. The sand was really hot because it's black, and the water was a bit chilly for our liking, but we didn't really feel like having a beach day when we had the ATV waiting for us and so many gorgeous sites to see. We also passed many other beaches. We checked out the bay whose name is escaping me below Oia. and then found a nice restaurant with incredible views in Oia. All of this was found by just driving around. The roads are very easy to navigate. We also passed Santos Winery, but decided not to stop since we were having such a great time riding around taking in the views. To top it all off, our ATV only cost 25 euros!!!

Thank you.

We'd been in the island twice. Both times we were renting small car and spent few hours on the Perissa beach (black sand), then lunch and we went to Oia. Cost of car is inexpensive (better than taxi to Oia). On the way to Perissa we stopped in winery for pictures.

There are few car rent companies in Fira.

Hope it helps,

Mike

Celebrity ships have basically two itineries for Santorini. One spend the day (Equinox) arriving early morning and departing about 6pm, the other (Reflection) arrive at 2pm and leave at 10pm. The latter allows you to see the amazing Sunset which is world reknown.

There are beaches like other have said black or red sand - suggest you research by looking at Goggle Earth and you will get a better overall picture of Santorini.

Thank you.

When we were there in June we took the local bus to the other end of the island,very scenic and they have good gelato.

I'm not a shopper and loved Santorini. I've been there twice- both times in July and on the second visit the line for the cable car was really long. My suggestion would be do a ship tour that ends in Fira because you won't have to deal with the cable car going up (you will have to use it returning to the ship). Once you arrive there, take a little stroll to "Casablanca"- it is a bed and breakfast/ restaurant with wonderful views. It's ironically the only red building in Santorini. Even on a hot day in July- this place is comfortable under the tented roof. I had a greek salad there and it was one of my fondest memories.

Even though i'm not a shopper- i ended up buying lots of souveniers there and they were mailed back to me from the shopkeeper intact and for a reasonable price.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Santorini is special. The island is the remnant of a volcano that exploded 3500 years ago. Your ship will sail into the vacant space where the explosion blew out most of the island. The remaining part of the island is almost a crescent. At some points on the island you can see both sides of the island. The island is of course volcanic.

The ship had a tour to an active caldera with hot water bubbling up where you take your swim suit. The island is so rocky, I don't know if there are sandy beaches there.

Amen to all this. For a sandy beach, Perissa is not bad (bus ride from Fira).That volcan0/hot springs tour you mention costs €15 and can bought from a kiosk as soon as you get off the tender. It looks like this. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]dUwKItPJo-E[/YOUTUBE]

The poster who wrote that Santorini is stunning has it right. Just enjoy the spectacular settings and views. I also agree that getting to Oia is a good idea. Not expensive if you take the bus (or look on this board for information about the boat transfer).

If you have any interest in history, the newly re-opened ruins of Ancient Akrotiri are spectacular. They are fully covered and climate controlled and you easily can get a guide at the entrance for an 1-1/4 tour for 10 Euros.

We always rent an automatic car from Tony's near the cable car terminus (40 Euros for an automatic) and drive ourselves around this small island. Traffic is minimal and the roads are in very good condition.

On our most recent visit in May, we first ascended the many hairpin turns above Kamari beach to see Ancient Thira, then proceeded south and west to the spectacular ruins at Akrotiri.

I'm going to make a suggestion of something NOT to do. At the time we planned it, Santorini was going to be our only Greek port so we decided,to go scuba diving. As it turned out we had 2 other Greek ports (Mykonos and Rhodes) since Egypt was taken off our itinerary after we arrived in Rome. We saw very little aquatic life and a lot of sand bottom. We were there in October so I don't know if we were just there at a bad time. But I thought I'd throw that out.

And now for something completely different...

I took one look at the mobs in Thira after getting the cable car (six ships in port) and decided I could not stand beating my way to Oia, no matter how fabulous. I had several hours on my hands. So I walked a block or two this way and that, and found the local bus station. There I bought myself a return ticket for a place I'd never heard of, got on the bus and had a very nice ride with the local people for about half an hour.

We passed through varying terrain and came to a town where I got off (making a note of where the bus had stopped). Walked about two blocks and found a very nice beach where I rented a chair for about 5 euros. There was a nearby kiosk where I got a pretty good sandwich and a fruit drink for a few euros. Had a little swim, and was shown a rudimentary but effective change room and toilet (no extra charge). The place seemed to be a modestly-priced beach resort, with rooms and apartments for rent in the area.

After a couple of hours, I went back to the bus stop, the bus appeared ten minutes later, and I rode back to Thira. The whole excursion cost me about 20 euros including lunch, and I had a pretty good time.

This time we're getting a driver and going to Oia, which I do want to see. But if you want to get far from the madding crowd, take a local bus somewhere. Oia is not the only place on the island.

I can't imagine anyone saying that the only thing to do here is hang around the cable car area !!!!!!

This is one uniquely beautiful island with a long and interesting history.

We have done both (two different visits) - going to Oia our first trip and then to the other end of the island and Akrotiri on our second visit last fall.

I will add that if you visit Akrotiri, when you return to Fira you should head to the Archeological museum where it is full of items that were found in Akrotiri. We found it fascinating…..

Oia is simply stunning and fun to just wander in. Shopping is fun with a number of "high end" stores with beautiful stuff :D

We have another visit next Spring and havent decided exactly what we will do…. will have son and DIL with us and they have never been so that will have a bearing on our plans.

I strongly recommend you get out and "explore" for a great day on Santorini.

We did the wine tour offered by the ship. We didn't care for it. Wine at 930am was bizarre. The walking tour was interesting. We found a little cafe along the strip and had a nice thick cup of Greek coffee. For $80 I do not think the ship excursion was worth it (for us).

Santorini is beautiful. We had a very nice lunch there. I enjoyed seeing the Basilica. Unfortunately, we did not go to Oia. Otherwise, Fira is one giant gift shop. I will admit that we bought some beautiful items.

What spoiled Santorini for me is the wait for the cable cars both up and down. No matter how you get on the island, everyone takes the cable car down to the port. We had lunch and decided to go back to the ship at about 2:00 which was way before the ship was leaving. At first, the line to get on the cable car did not look too bad. So, we stood in the hot sun as we had in the morning. The problem is that there are terrible line cutters. Entire families would just casually stroll up and cut in line. It got so bad that the line was actually moving backward. We had six people just step in front of us. I protested and they said they were just looking at something. They then proceeded to cut in front of someone further up. Two sweet older ladies were in front of us. They were prime targets. Finally, I became the line cop, much to the horror of my husband. If someone stepped in front of us or the older ladies, I would call them out.

Here is the tactic: a man would stand outside a store and call his wife over to look at an item. Then they would call the rest of their group over to look at this item. Then, gradually, one by one 15 people would backup into the line. This happened over and over again.

It was so bad that even as we and the older ladies were entering the cable car itself, a group of four tried to cut in front of us. I put my arm out, helped the ladies into the car and told the four no. What a system! Santorini needs to have better crowd control.

My kids rode the donkeys because there was no line for them. However, the donkeys got bored halfway down the hill and just stopped. The donkey people told my kids to get off, so they had to walk anyway. If I am ever back in Santorini, I will walk down the hill.

OMG….. I laughed so hard at this last post…… I must confess that I, too, am a line cop !!!!!!

I drive my husband crazy but when people feel they can take advantage of others just because they THINK they can it makes my blood boil……. :eek:

But when you said " much to the horror of my husband " I just began to laugh like crazy …. of course then I had to read your post to my husband and tell him "see - I'm not the only one !!!! " ;)

It's doable by bus to get to Oia. We did it 4 years ago. Be one of the first off the boat, take the cable car up, and walk to the bus "station". Just walk around Oia...it's the blue roofed churches that are so famous of Greece and it's absolutely stunning. We walked all over, shopped, walked the terraces, shopped at a little store and got the largest peaches I'd ever seen in my life, then had gyros and went back. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time as the buses are crowded later in the day. I found exact directions on Oia DIY on the port boards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

OMG….. I laughed so hard at this last post…… I must confess that I, too, am a line cop !!!!!!

I drive my husband crazy but when people feel they can take advantage of others just because they THINK they can it makes my blood boil……. :eek:

But when you said " much to the horror of my husband " I just began to laugh like crazy …. of course then I had to read your post to my husband and tell him "see - I'm not the only one !!!! " ;)

Thank you for your support! If there were more people like you and me, this would not be a problem. I hate inefficiency. I was also afraid some of the older people would pass out in the heat.