Shadow, San Francisco to Papette now

duct tape

Watched the ship dock from our hotel. Waited a long time for this trip, anxious to get it underway! The Vitale Hotel on the Embarcadero is boutique-y, elegant, hip and well located. If you are a person of certain physical issues (read older and stiffer), like some room around you, prefer a pillow top mattress , a high-riser toilet and a quieter bar, you may want to reconsider. Enjoyed it. Being the oldest people in the bar is not always a bad thing! Good food 1/2 block away, wine bar/restaurant Japanese/Californian, Brasserie Chaya. Interesting detail, the best, most flavorful soy sauce i have ever had. God is in the details, please note, SS. My body was on east coast time, so early to bed. The sun is starting to shine, the Oakland Bay Bridge looks lovely and people are on the streets. Off to the ship shortly.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good morning from the Pacific Ocean. The ship is just about full, 333 folks, 221 Venetians. Lots of familiar faces, hugs all around and warm greetings. David Bilsland started off sea day #1 with one of his terrific presentations. We had a full day of lectures, bar shows, lovely poolside lunch buffet. Captain's Welcome Party last evening. Lots of Venetians so lots of well dressed folks. After a trip to Alaska recently, a welcome change. Lots of sadness about Judie but that is another thread. Abba Show last night, don't know what the turnout was. The weather is glorious, sunny and warm. Lots of those long Pacific swells that make for great sleeping. More fun on the schedule for today. Now that I have settled in and nested, I think today calls for just hanging out by the pool. Pool has not been filled yet. The swells tried to empty it but the deck crew beat the sea. Later.

Duct tape, please tell David Bilsland that we miss him already. He just left us on the Whisper in Corner Brook, Newfoundland a couple of days ago. He was great taking charge of a lot of kitchen things during our surprise hurricane after leaving Greenland a few days ago. Very sorry about Judie, we knew her well and loved her. Now beautiful weather in Montreal, back to Quebec tomorrow. Have a great time on the Shadow!

Dieter and Debbie

Thanx, all. Day #3 @ sea. Not a cloud nor a drop of rain in sight. Glorious weather. Pool filled. Life is good. Wellseasoned, will gladly pass your greetings to David, Wes' also. The best part is getting up in the AM and on a 360 degree examination, there is nothing but water!

Duct Tape would you give David a hi from Van and Fred from Boston. We celebrated my 65th with his Mother and Judie. That was 5 years ago. Also we will see him on the grand cruise LA to LA in Jan 2015. He took the time to visit Fred at Mass General Hospital while Fred was recovering from a bone marrow transplant. He is simply sterling!

Derby lane, I will do that today. He is a treat. Day #5 @ sea, will arrive Hilo tomorrow. Yesterday another full day with lectures on Hawaiian history, photography and movies. David did another great demo, Pub Lunch and sing-a-long on deck. Different atmosphere entirely. Crystal Simmons did her Divas of Soul cabaret and absolutely nailed it! She has developed into an excellent entertainer and personality. It was especially exciting for her since her mother is aboard! Lots more going on today. Weather gets warmer and sunnier daily. Mixed feelings about getting to Hawaii! Later.

Heard a rumour that the boutique remodelers will be joining you in Hawaii. Hope its a false one.

Would be very interested to know if this rumor is true.

Any other sightings of the remodelers?

Any report on what the remodeled boutique on the Whisper is like. I think someone wrote that the new boutique would be largely jewelry, with little clothing, etc.

Watched the ship dock from our hotel. Waited a long time for this trip, anxious to get it underway! The Vitale Hotel on the Embarcadero is boutique-y, elegant, hip and well located. If you are a person of certain physical issues (read older and stiffer), like some room around you, prefer a pillow top mattress , a high-riser toilet and a quieter bar, you may want to reconsider. Enjoyed it. Being the oldest people in the bar is not always a bad thing! Good food 1/2 block away, wine bar/restaurant Japanese/Californian, Brasserie Chaya. Interesting detail, the best, most flavorful soy sauce i have ever had. God is in the details, please note, SS. My body was on east coast time, so early to bed. The sun is starting to shine, the Oakland Bay Bridge looks lovely and people are on the streets. Off to the ship shortly.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Vitale also has an amazing roof top patio. ( least they did three years ago) Lovely Views--an unusual perk for SF.

Duct Tape - Sounds like a wonderful cruise!!! Thank you for letting us all know about Judie and the memorial onboard. What an amazing lady!! We join the Cloud for the TA in November - last time we were aboard, so was she!!! Enjoy the rest of your cruise - if you run into David, please give him a hug from Jim & Rebecca!

VERY nice - I think you must mean that David Lawton will be the cruise director on the TA! So excited, if so!!! I was referring to the fact that David Bilsland was on your cruise! We have booked cruises simply because he was onboard! As for David Lawton - you and I were both on the cruise with the 'jumper' on the Shadow - he (David) is absolutely wonderful as well. Do you happen to know if Jeorge is scheduled to be the MD? Have an amazing cruise!

WinWin, I won't be home by the time you sail. Find my friends from home. They are registered for the M&M. There will also be 2 guys from Chicago. One of them rules Karaoke! Have a great time!

Edited by duct tape

OK. Catch up time. The sea days on the way to Hawaii were terrific! Lots of lectures on photography, movies and a great Legends of the Guitar Concert. Hot Rocks with lobster tails! Thanx for that idea, whomever. Arrived Hilo, fab weather, lots of excursions-heli flights, botanical Garden, Panoramas, Kilauea Crater Hikes and bike Adventures, Puna & Snorkel, Taste the Hawaiian Lifestyle and Volcanoes national park & the Moana Loa macadamia nut factory. A piano concert by Hyperion Knight. On to Lahina on Maui, virtuoso excursion for us, sightseeing and lunch at Bev Gannon's restaurant (Iron Chefs competitor). More heli rides nd the Hana Road (now partially paved!!!), Atlantis Submarine rides, Pineapple Plantations, Panoramas, 4x4 Treks on Lanai, rainforest and Waterfall Hikes, Sunset Catamaran Sail and a Snorkel Adventure. Weather still great! Hyperion Knight and the SS singers did a show in the Panorama.

Edited by duct tape