Norwegian Star - Panama Canal

fxcarden

Hello,

Considering Los Angeles to Miami in Feb / Mar. Looking for pros, cons, experiences even if on another line.

Other option would be FLL rountrip which I am not crazy about.

Thanks!

I am not sure what you're looking for from a pros/cons perspective. However we sailed the Star, LA to Tampa, in 2011 and it was one of the best cruises we've ever taken. Granted I think our itinerary was a little better port-wise than what is being offered now, but sailing the Panama Canal was probably our best day ever on board a ship. :D

Highly recommended!

My only problem with the Star, for the PC cruise, is its lack of a Spinnaker lounge or a Great Outdoors. We love both. If your schedule permits, my choice would be one of the ships with those..... However, we've done the cruise twice and I would do it again anytime....

We just got off the STAR in December. I couldn't WAIT to get on another cruise. It was like being under a spell for a while; I could only think about my next cruise. It was such an enjoyable cruise and our first over 7 days. Now longer cruises are going to be our preference. We had the Miami to Los Angeles route. You have a time advantage going that route. You gain a few hours of sleep, so a few more hours to party or eat. We loved the STAR and the Panama Canal cruise is not to be missed. We are already looking at 2015, but might wait for the new canal to open to go on one of the bigger ships. I definitely recommend NCL and the STAR. It was a nice balance of relax time and things to do.

Hello,

Considering Los Angeles to Miami in Feb / Mar. Looking for pros, cons, experiences even if on another line.

Other option would be FLL rountrip which I am not crazy about.

Thanks!

Is FLL short for Ft Lauderdale? They do not cruise from there.

As to LA-MIA - that makes for a great cruise.

Is FLL short for Ft Lauderdale? They do not cruise from there.

As to LA-MIA - that makes for a great cruise.

Yes. FLL was Fort Lauderdale. Meant for different cruise line.

Wanted to do West to East so I could go to spring training games once I get off the ship.

We have sailed on the Star several times. She is in need of dry dock updates and is scheduled for it Mar 1 - 17, 2015. Which means there is only one Panama Canal cruise in February West to East on the Star. I'd check out the other lines if Feb & Mar 2015 are the dates you were looking for.

We did the roundtrip Miami this past winter. Sorry to hear that sailings are limited according to a previous poster as I would highly recommend the Star and its wonderful crew. We did do all the ports twice but there was a lot to choose from at all ports except Puerto Chiapas. Second time around there we just enjoyed the nice port area.

My only problem with the Star, for the PC cruise, is its lack of a Spinnaker lounge or a Great Outdoors. We love both. If your schedule permits, my choice would be one of the ships with those..... However, we've done the cruise twice and I would do it again anytime....

I totally agree! :-)

The Star is a great ship, but the forward Spinnaker Lounge and the Great Outdoors buffet area were definite highlights of my Panama Canal cruise on the Pearl. The Star lacks those features.

I'd stick to NCL's "Jewel Class" ships for a PC cruise.

So...which ships have those areas ?.

Thanks.

I've been on all three ships and would only consider the Sun or Pearl because, as another person mentioned, several important public viewing areas on the Star were turned into suites or extra cost restaurants. The ship's staff is great but unless you plan on living on your balcony, you don't have many options on the Star. We are also considering a PC cruise and crossed off the Star after being on her this past May.

I've been on all three ships and would only consider the Sun or Pearl because, as another person mentioned, several important public viewing areas on the Star were turned into suites or extra cost restaurants. The ship's staff is great but unless you plan on living on your balcony, you don't have many options on the Star. We are also considering a PC cruise and crossed off the Star after being on her this past May.

I know the Spinnaker was converted to suites, but can you tell me which viewing areas were made into restaurants ?

We did the PC cruise this April 11 days with HAL out of FLL. It was a great experience no matter what ship you take. We could of caught the complete transit from San Diego to FLL but liked the ports with our cruise. The canal extension is still not yet completed is due to be done in 2016, due to contractor prices increasing. It is quite the experience. We had an aft wrap around balcony on the Zuiderdam, worth every penny. I believe the cabins and balconies are larger on the HAL ships. Stops were Private HAL Island, Aruba, Curaco, Cartagena, Puerto Limon Costa Rica and Panama. I see they no longer do this particular itinerary but longer ones for the complete transit from FLL to San Diego or Vancouver. We thought the weather was perfect in early April, no rain.

CT

You really do not want to wait too long to schedule a full transit of the Panama Canal on a NCL ship. After April 2015, only the NCL Pearl will make the cruise in the fall after the Alaska season. The Star will be deployed in the Caribbean, the Sun will be in South America, and the Jewel will be cruising the Mexican Riviera out of Los Angeles. NCL is only offering 10 and 11 day partial Panama Canal cruises out of Florida.

For more of the discussion, see this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2062476