San Fran Safety?

captdave

I'm doing a trip out of San Fran in mid September. Doing a couple nights near the water by the Oakland Bay Bridge before the cruise.

Question for locals only, no guesses please.

How safe is San Fran now to tour and walkabout?

I use to go to NYC a bunch in the last few years. Was very safe to walk Broadway day or night, not anymore.

I was a G-IV Captain who has traveled the world, so I have been around. I know the tourist areas use to be safe, doesn't seem like that anymore (I have the wife with me this time).

Should we just stay on the "Hop On Hop Off Bus", not walk around?

CaptDave

I'm not a local but we did visit San Francisco last year as tourists. I think if you don't stray too far from the main drag you will be fine. The thing that most struck me was the number of homeless people on the streets, even in London I've never see this many people living on the streets.

We used local buses and taxi's and walked miles.

I'm not a local but we did visit San Francisco last year as tourists. I think if you don't stray too far from the main drag you will be fine. The thing that most struck me was the number of homeless people on the streets, even in London I've never see this many people living on the streets.

We used local buses and taxi's and walked miles.

You didn't hear about the Tourist Girl killed in the arms of her father just a couple months ago???

I need people who are there NOW, not last year or years ago.

CaptDave

I'm doing a trip out of San Fran in mid September. Doing a couple nights near the water by the Oakland Bay Bridge before the cruise.

I use to go to NYC a bunch in the last few years. Was very safe to walk Broadway day or night, not anymore.

I was a G-IV Captain who has traveled the world, so I have been around. I know the tourist areas use to be safe, doesn't seem like that anymore (I have the wife with me this time).

CaptDave

To be sure, what is safe today may not be safe tomorrow... you better stay on the bus.

CaptDave

The Bay Area has a large number of homeless people. Most of them occupy the streets/sidewalks and beg. If that bothers you I don't recommend walking anywhere. But if you can deal with that, San Francisco is set up perfectly for walking. I was there in February of this year and walked my way around town from Coit Tower to Lombard Street. I stayed in Union Square and walked through the shopping districts and through China Town. There are a lot of other people walking, so my safety never felt threatened.

You didn't hear about the Tourist Girl killed in the arms of her father just a couple months ago???

I need people who are there NOW, not last year or years ago.

CaptDave

Bit rude when someone's trying to help you, perhaps you should go to West Coast departures board since this has nothing to do with Celebrity cruises.

That shooting was terrible, down at Pier 14, and apparently the reporters on site also got mugged.

We were there in April, our first trip to San Francisco - we didn't really like the area at all - just a general uneasy feeling. We didn't go out in the evenings. We did use the HoHo bus during the day.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and San Francisco visit.

Hoping some locals will give you some honest feedback.

The Bay Area has a large number of homeless people. Most of them occupy the streets/sidewalks and beg. If that bothers you I don't recommend walking anywhere. But if you can deal with that, San Francisco is set up perfectly for walking. I was there in February of this year and walked my way around town from Coit Tower to Lombard Street. I stayed in Union Square and walked through the shopping districts and through China Town. There are a lot of other people walking, so my safety never felt threatened.

Wonder if the beggars are like those in Seattle, they actually take credit cards.

Are you staying in downtown San Francisco or on the Oakland side of the bridge? I didn't think there was much to see downtown, and I would not stay in Oakland, since it is too far.

I usually stay in one of the more touristy areas, Union Square, Fisherman'S Wharf, Chinatown- and felt very safe during the day, explored the city by bus and foot, but I tended not to wander during the evening, unless I was in a group. Take cabs to your destination in the evenings.

There are homeless people, as there are in any big city. Not sure if there are more per capita than New York or London, but San Francisco is such a beautiful city, easy to get around, and has better weather, there may be more.

Unfortunately, you can be a victim almost anywhere.

Theresa

San Francisco is an interesting subject. We think it is one of the most beautiful cities in North America (Vancouver is also high on our list). But the folks who run San Francisco (and many who live there) have some strange ideas of what is best for their town. The homeless (and weirdness) situation which many natives seem to treasure, has been enough to keep us from returning. On our last visit we spent a few days at the old St Francis and spent a lot of time walking around the city. Early one evening we went out and simply strolled around the block (just one block) and counted 14 homeless/vagrants sitting, sleeping, urinating, etc. just on ONE BLOCK. In the heart of the main tourist area at the Ebarcadaro we walked by one narrow street that smelled really awful from all the urine. And then we watched some young adults who were in an ally helping to feed the homeless (which just encourages them to stay). One morning we stopped in Starbucks (near our hotel) for some java. When DW went to use the ladies room she found it locked. One of the staff came over and unlocked it for her and explained that they had to keep it locked or a homeless person would move in! And if this happens in San Francisco you cannot kick them out! After that visit we decided that if San Francisco wanted to be the home of vagrants, that was fine....but they will no longer see us as visitors.

Hank

I lived there in the 80s and spent 10 days there this past May. We did the 2 day HoHo bus, which took us all over the SF area, including across the Golden Gate. You can get off at most stops and walk around, like China Town, North Beach (Little Italy), etc... We did not get off at some spots like Tenderloin (and you will find out why, fast). We did a ton of walking around the town and just avoided some parts, and yes even Embarcadero and Fisherman's Warf after night fall.

Edited by Grillfish

I go to San Francisco all the time. My husband has family there, and we only live 3 hrs away. Bad things happen in every city. That being said, make sure you go out where there are people, don't go down ally ways, stay in well lit areas. But I would tell the same for any city/town. I feel safe there.

San Francisco is an interesting subject. We think it is one of the most beautiful cities in North America (Vancouver is also high on our list). But the folks who run San Francisco (and many who live there) have some strange ideas of what is best for their town. The homeless (and weirdness) situation which many natives seem to treasure, has been enough to keep us from returning. On our last visit we spent a few days at the old St Francis and spent a lot of time walking around the city. Early one evening we went out and simply strolled around the block (just one block) and counted 14 homeless/vagrants sitting, sleeping, urinating, etc. just on ONE BLOCK. In the heart of the main tourist area at the Ebarcadaro we walked by one narrow street that smelled really awful from all the urine. And then we watched some young adults who were in an ally helping to feed the homeless (which just encourages them to stay). One morning we stopped in Starbucks (near our hotel) for some java. When DW went to use the ladies room she found it locked. One of the staff came over and unlocked it for her and explained that they had to keep it locked or a homeless person would move in! And if this happens in San Francisco you cannot kick them out! After that visit we decided that if San Francisco wanted to be the home of vagrants, that was fine....but they will no longer see us as visitors.

Hank

Hank

I had the same feeling last year when we did Seattle prior to our Solstice cruise. What really ticked me off were all the beggars with digs. A resident told me they sedated them and took them with them for the sympathy factor. Long time before I return to that city.

Edited by dkjretired

I have never visited San Francisco except to change planes. But my sister (age 72) has her youngest daughter and two grandchildren living there, and she loves to visit them. They live in Daley City, and she takes public transport all over the city, mostly alone since the daughter works. She was just there in August, and hasn't reported feeling unsafe. EM

You will be at serious risk if you say the words "San Fran" within earshot of San Francisco residents. Even worse if you say "Frisco". :)

Seriously though, we have lived in the Bay Area for nearly 30 years and spend a lot of time in San Francisco "playing tourist" as well as for business reasons before we retired. Despite the horrible shooting, San Francisco is relatively safe as long as you stay in highly visited areas, such as the Embarcadero, Marina Green and North Beach. There are some fantastic Italian restaurants in North Beach with outstanding Asian cuisine close by in Chinatown. Now the downside. The homeless situation in San Francisco is terrible. I'm not making a political statement so don't respond with flame-o-grams but much of the issue is caused because there is almost a welcome sign for transients. If you don't believe me just go to sfgate.com or the San Jose Mercury News and read for yourself. To give another example of the situation, San Francisco politicos are trying to figure a way to move the homeless out during Super Bowl festivities!

I would not advise staying in San Francisco. The smell or urine permeates many streets and the homeless can be very aggressive at times. Even near the luxury hotels. Stay in mid-peninsula somewhere between Menlo Park up to Burlingame. No, no, no to staying in Oakland, although Jack London Square is interesting for first timers.

we used to live in the Bay Area. Loved the City. Went back two years ago. It broke my heart. Men were riding bikes and walking around sans clothing, not a stitch! We saw some women smoking Crack on a center median. The homeless have always been there, but now it's not as clean as before. Would love to go back, but not until they change their leadership. Sanctuary cities have got to go. It's not just because of illegals everywhere, but the drugs and everything else.

They still have the BEST Irish coffee ever!

Judy

Glad OP inquired...

we are considering a ship's tour going to Sausalito and fisherman's wharf...feedback on safety will be helpful. Will also inquire at port boards,

san diego had alot of panhandlers and now NY has beggars with babies...just like Greece!

Wonder if the beggars are like those in Seattle, they actually take credit cards.

That's a joke, right? Like I'm going to hand my credit card to a homeless person!;)

This thread confirms what I was saying to my husband the other day. I visited SF in the early 80's and fell in love with that wonderful city. I was lamenting that it would be so sad to see (and smell :eek:) the sights there now.

Glad OP inquired...

we are considering a ship's tour going to Sausalito and fisherman's wharf...feedback on safety will be helpful. Will also inquire at port boards,

san diego had alot of panhandlers and now NY has beggars with babies...just like Greece!

I live in the Bay Area and a tour to Sausalito and Fisherman's Wharf is safe or as much as it can be.

Yes homeless are everywhere, but ignore them. Simply keep your wits about you and your eyes open. Don't use your cell phone while you are walking. BTW, the hoho bus is very safe and a great way to get around.

I have walked around the city at night after going to the show Beach Blanket Babylon and felt fine, even in a parking garage. My daughter and her family often go to the city on Friday nights with their 2 teens and again never have had problems. But they rollerblade on Friday nights with a group called the midnight rollers. Yes they are skating up until midnight.

That's a joke, right? Like I'm going to hand my credit card to a homeless person!;)

This thread confirms what I was saying to my husband the other day. I visited SF in the early 80's and fell in love with that wonderful city. I was lamenting that it would be so sad to see (and smell :eek:) the sights there now.

Not a joke

I am sort of amazed at this thread...

A lot of opinions on San Francisco by a lot of folks who don't live anywhere near San Francisco...a lot of it equating lack of safety with the presence of homeless people...

Please allow me to give you a more educated opinion...

First of all, those homeless people may be unsightly, they may smell, they may offend you in some way or another...but, for the most part, they are harmless...I guess, if you are going to be homeless, you can live almost anywhere, so why not someplace nice...OTOH, I have seen homeless people in almost every major city--including a lot of very nice ones. I feel sorry for them...it is a plight I don't wish on anyone...But, until we, as a society, find a reasonable solution for them, they are going to be there...Unfortunately, that means spending money...and, unfortunately, a large number of American taxpayers don't like to spend money.

That said, ALL major cities have good areas and bad areas...areas that are "safe" and areas that are less safe...and, unfortunately, NO area that attracts a lot of tourists is completely safe...So, wherever you travel, be wary of pickpockets, scam artists, etc.

There are areas of San Francisco (and New York, and Los Angeles, and Chicago, and Philadelphia, and Boston, and Miami...and probably even any city near you) that I would not advise staying in...or walking around in at night...

However, most of the areas you would visit as a tourist in San Francisco are "safe"...My 31 year old single daughter lives in the Marina District and works in SoMa and often walks to work and back...and walks all over San Francisco...I visit often and I never have any concern about walking in most of the areas you would be in as a tourist--Fisherman's Wharf, the Marina, the Financial District, Chinatown, North Beach...

Sure, I wouldn't advise staying near the "Civic Center" or around Union Square (though many tourists do...and without incident)...as I said, some areas are better than others...

But, if you have fears for your safety in San Francisco, you're probably not traveling most of ANYWHERE...

My main frustration on a 1994 visit was people trying to sell me expired bus and cable car tickets as good. Do they still do that?

In my visits since 1994, I haven't been taking public transit as friends have been offering to drive me around.

Edited by xlxo

Hank

I think you can say that about any city in the world now. We stayed at the Doubletree in Miami on the bay front earlier this year. Had a meal at one of the restaurants int he shopping area attached to the hotel and decided to walk round the block. There is a church almost next to the hotel whose steps were covered with homeless people. Would never have seen it if we hadn't walked round the block.

San Francisco Native here.

Stands on Soapbox: Remember the term "military industrial complex"? San Francisco has its own "homeless industrial complex". For the past couple of decades San Francisco spends over $100 million a year on the homeless and what does it get? Stands off Soapbox.

Bruin Steve probably gave the best advice.

Stay in the tourist areas, but don't act like a tourist, be situation aware.