Frustrated cruiser

LBENgteach

I am scheduled to cruise on Oceania's Marina leaving Papeete, Tahiti, on March 25th, in a Vista Suite. There have been some issues that I would like to address with someone in charge. However numerous emails to their travel rep and Oceania itself have gone unanswered, or even acknowledged. I have also written to the office in Miami (snail mail) and again, nothing. Does anyone out there have a special number or name of someone I could contact? I am feeling as if once you have paid, you are forgotten.

Sorry to ask this, but what does your travel agent say? Most of us (I think I can safely say) depend on our TAs to run interference for us.

In the meantime I am sorry you are having such problems.

Donna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oceania has some "weaknesses" or "opportunities to improve".

Customer service, entertainment and shore excursions would be among those. They shine in just about everything else.

Your best option for resolving your problem would be a direct contact (rather then mail/ e mail) with either your travel agent or the Oceania agent who booked your cruise.

Hopefully your problem will be resolved soon and you can enjoy your cruise.

Hi all...the original comment is from my mom. We are traveling together. She has contacted our travel agent a few times with no response. She was trying to contact Oceania rehearsing mistakes the TA made in booking. It's frustrating that we can't get anyone on the phone!

Hi all...the original comment is from my mom. We are traveling together. She has contacted our travel agent a few times with no response. She was trying to contact Oceania rehearsing mistakes the TA made in booking. It's frustrating that we can't get anyone on the phone!

To begin with, you may want to explain to your mother that the Travel Agent that you used will be making a significant commission for a booking which includes a Vista Suite, and so it is time to stop treating him or her like like an "enthusiastic friend" who dropped the ball.

Secondarily, Oceania's position is that you have engaged the services of a Professional (back to the Travel Agent) to handle this transaction for you, and therefore any changes or corrections should be coming through that Professional (i.e. NOT direct from you.)

It is frustrating when they insist that significant changes be made through the Agent, but those procedures are in place to prevent the mass confusion which might result from "too many fingers in the pot".

Thanks all...we were able to make a few of the changes we needed directly with Oceania, but are definitely having trouble with the TA.

Time to confront the TA - shape up or ship out. Most importantly, lay the blame where it belongs - with the TA and not Oceania (in this case)

Edited by Paulchili

If your TA won't respond, then I would take steps to have him excluded from your booking and then go through Oceania. I see your daughter is also booked...did she use the same agent? Unfortunately in life, I have found that it doesn't do much good to "be nice". All agents book through someone special at Oceania...who also get a commission. I am not sure it shows on your booking, but I happen to know who my person is. You should find out who your agent uses and then start there...not being super polite. You have a top suite, and you at least should expect good treatment. I am upset for you. This is distressing.

Count me among those who believe the blame lands squarely in the lap of your TA.

Don't be afraid to change TAs! Your TA will be making a ton of money off your booking...and absolutely should be expected to work for it. That includes taking care of any requested changes, and responding to any of your questions, in a timely fashion. Which clearly is not happening here.

If this TA is not doing a good job, drop him/her. Pick one who will give you the service you are paying for. (And you ARE paying for it, even though the commission comes from Oceania.)

Having been so spoiled with an excellent TA for the last ten years or so, I hate to hear someone getting poor service.

Good luck and let us know how it all worked out!

Thanks all...we were able to make a few of the changes we needed directly with Oceania, but are definitely having trouble with the TA.

Is your TA the manager or the owner ??

If not go over their head to the top of the agency

You do not want to ruin your experience before it begins

Have a wonderful cruise. The VS is a wonderful suite on any of the ships! (I'm on the next cruise after yours and also cannot wait.)

I agree with the others that it sounds like your TA is the one at fault.

Mura

I am mildly unimpressed with my current travel agent and if anyone is willing to email me, I would appreciate a Cruise Critic referral. My email is junebridgewater52@gmail.com . Thanks so much for your help.

This is actually not allowed on Cruise Critic. I once got quite a nastygram and an "admin warning" from the mods for recommending a TA to another member. I sure won't do that again! :eek:

Sorry you are having a bad experience, though. There are so many great ones out there, nobody should have to use a bad one.

This is actually not allowed on Cruise Critic. I once got quite a nastygram and an "admin warning" from the mods for recommending a TA to another member. I sure won't do that again! :eek:

Sorry you are having a bad experience, though. There are so many great ones out there, nobody should have to use a bad one.

I understand that cc members are not allowed to recommend a TA within the threads of the forum. But is it not allowed in a private email to someone that is asking for this type of assistance? I wasn't aware of that being the case....thanks in advance for clarification on this:)

I understand that cc members are not allowed to recommend a TA within the threads of the forum. But is it not allowed in a private email to someone that is asking for this type of assistance? I wasn't aware of that being the case....thanks in advance for clarification on this:)

I believe it is against the rules to ask for such a recommendation.

Well don't quote me! I'm not a mod. I also got a warning once just for even mentioning the moderation of this forum. And now I might get a warning for having mentioned that I got a warning about mentioning the moderation of this forum! :D

under CC guidelines

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in content) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts may result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines

Yes it's time to get a new TA, we did and have been happy since. We always stayed in the Owner Suite (9 cruises) (so commissions were good for the TA). Now we have a professional TA that

truly does what they say and follows up on anything we need. This TA get's the commissions from the same company, but knows who the paying customer is and treats the customer like a customer. Don't even forget that "YOUR" the reason "O" is cruising and the TA is working.

Rick

I don't believe that Oceania will allow you to "fire" your TA at this point in the process. For this cruise, you are stuck with" them that brought you". The TA/Agency that booked your cruise and provided payment, on your behalf, to O, will get their commission payment, regardless of your current feelings toward them.

Suggest you get a new TA for any future cruise or activity.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! We finally got a call back from Oceania and they are working to get us the 2 separate beds we requested (but were not put on our reservation at the hotels or on the ship). They were able to help with a few other issues too. TA definitely at fault. Thanks for all of the help and advice! Looking forward to this trip, just over a week away!