Alaska which ship?

Jjjr88

Radiance of the Seas sept 4 or celebrity millennium may 12. There are just the 2 of us in our early 50's. Ive searched and concluded May is better but RCI is a better ship. Now I'm all confused and cant decide. Which would you do?

Radiance of the Seas sept 4 or celebrity millennium may 12. There are just the 2 of us in our early 50's. Ive searched and concluded May is better but RCI is a better ship. Now I'm all confused and cant decide. Which would you do?

Have you looked at which ports they go to and for how long? Do they do Glacier Bay , Tracy Arm or Hubbard Glacier or a combination of them.

Are you doing a NB or SB or RTN from Vancouver or Seattle ?

Keep in mind cruises from Seattle spent two days in the open Pacific far from land. Vancouver is a prettier cruise even tho airfare will be more pricey.There are inexpensive options to go between Vancouver and Seattle.

We decided on the Millennium based on the date. ( WE are sailing on 6/12/15 w/ 5 day cruisetour before cruise) We like RCI and X, but we let the date be our chooser since both lines have a pretty comparable itinerary.

We've done both ships and would recommend either but Alaska is all about the itinerary, the ship is of lesser importance. The very best cabin on either ship is an aft especially as you sail through the glacial bay(s).

I hope you enjoy almost 23 hours of sunlight!!!!!! It makes for an amazing cruise.

Hi,

We have booked Millennium for Alaska, August 2015. but the May sailing I find very appealing!

Why are you sure that Radiance is a better ship?? Have you read reviews?

There are always nitpicky complainers... But many users here had a great time on her.

We really loved her sister ship, Summit.

I also would make my decision dependent by the itinerary. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A lot of people enjoy May while others prefer to wait for more of the ice to clear and weather to improve.

Some things aren't done in May such as the catamaran in Tracy Arm and salmon fishing might be better later in the Summer?

Your selection criteria for AK should be

1) Itinerary

2) Port arrival and departure times

3) Length of time in port

4) ship

Note that ship is last.

DON

I would add cruise line. Princess has a number of great cruises to Alaska.

Some things aren't done in May such as the catamaran in Tracy Arm and salmon fishing might be better later in the Summer?
I don't know about other cruise ships, but can state with certainty that the catamaran in Tracy Arm definitely was available on the May 16th Solstice cruise this year.

Don said it best.

We have been on both ships but sailed sister Summit in Alaska.

I still maintain, whichever line you choose to sail with an aft cabin is the absolute best option. On our Radiance Alaska southbound (preferred itinerary for lots of reasons) EVERY aft cabin with the exception of a corner suite was occupied by members of our Roll Call. Fun was had by all as we did our own version of whale watching and wake contemplation.

Southbound itinerary is my preference with RCI or Celebrity because you sail Hubbard Glacier in the afternoon with a greater chance of a fog free adventure.

Anchorage is 1,300 miles northwest of Vancouver - that means 1,300 miles closer to home with shorter flights and many many more flight/travel options.

I would add cruise line. Princess has a number of great cruises to Alaska.

But not interesting for eveyone. ;)

We have booked Millennium the 14th of Aug 2015, since this is the best itinerary for us which fits best into our plans.

Princess also had convenient cruises for us, but they were way more expensive than Celebrity (balcony: Celebrity 1900 $, Princess ouside 2100 $!!), and Princess always required some compromises - too short stays in Ketchikan, no Hubbard Glacier on northbound sailings. On the southbound sailings, Hubbard Glacier is included, but the stay in Juneau is relatively short, and the cruise was the most expensive one.

Maybe when booking shore excursions, Princess has the best to offer - but we always do excursions on our own or with local guides.

But not interesting for eveyone. ;)

We have booked Millennium the 14th of Aug 2015, since this is the best itinerary for us which fits best into our plans.

Princess also had convenient cruises for us, but they were way more expensive than Celebrity (balcony: Celebrity 1900 $, Princess ouside 2100 $!!), and Princess always required some compromises - too short stays in Ketchikan, no Hubbard Glacier on northbound sailings. On the southbound sailings, Hubbard Glacier is included, but the stay in Juneau is relatively short, and the cruise was the most expensive one.

Maybe when booking shore excursions, Princess has the best to offer - but we always do excursions on our own or with local guides.

If your going to do your own excursions or with a local company. Contact them in Feb or Mar for prices and booking times. Locals usually fill up fast especially in high season

( July and Aug).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I know this wasn't on your short list.

But the naturalist on board the Solstice is AMAZING. His name is Brent Nixon.

Any idea how long the naturalists are contracted for? I've heard so many positive comments about Brent Nixon and am hoping he'll still be onboard when we sail the Solstice...but we're not booked until Sept 2015:eek:

Any idea how long the naturalists are contracted for? I've heard so many positive comments about Brent Nixon and am hoping he'll still be onboard when we sail the Solstice...but we're not booked until Sept 2015:eek:

Hi:) there are 2 guys I have seen and both are good. Brent and the other

guy is named Milo. I have enjoyed both. No way to tell right now who

will be on Solstice in Sept 2015....unless someone who is sailing soon

would take the time out and ask him and relay the message back here.

Edited by Lois R

We leave for an Alaskan cruise on Solstice in less than two weeks.

We will be doing a full review and we would be happy to share it here so hopeful that will give you some insight into the cruise.

Our concern with September is the weather, so we will see what it is like. One of our excursions on Mendenhall glacier was already canceled due to weather. The dog sled camps on the glacier are all closing early this year due to the rain.

I would be happy to ask Bent Nixon if he will be on the ship next year. The positive reviews here on CC regarding Brent was one reason we choose this ship over some of the others we were considering. Everyone has said his talks are amazing.

Keep on sailing!

I am doing my bucket list Alaskan cruise next June on the Milli out of Vancouver and in an aft cabin. It's a RT so perfect for a Brit to fly in and out of the same airport. So looking forward to it. Will spend 3 days in Vancouver first.

Edited by Deeliteful

We leave for an Alaskan cruise on Solstice in less than two weeks.

We will be doing a full review and we would be happy to share it here so hopeful that will give you some insight into the cruise.

Our concern with September is the weather, so we will see what it is like. One of our excursions on Mendenhall glacier was already canceled due to weather. The dog sled camps on the glacier are all closing early this year due to the rain.

I would be happy to ask Bent Nixon if he will be on the ship next year. The positive reviews here on CC regarding Brent was one reason we choose this ship over some of the others we were considering. Everyone has said his talks are amazing.

Keep on sailing!

I'll be looking forward to your review, and if you can check with the naturalist onboard to see who will be on Solstice next year that would be appreciated! I was also concerned about what kind of weather we'll get in September but I'm not sure there's ever a perfect time to go anyway...seems like the reviews from Spring and Summer itineraries have their share of rain and cooler temps too! I'm looking forward to hearing if you see much wildlife, especially whales!

Have a great cruise!!

Cathy