NCL leaving new orleans?

radzer0

Anybody know why they decided to kill off cruises from new orleans after april of 2015? I asked my TA and he doesnt know why and NCL doesnt seem to want to reply on there facebook as to why.

I've checked the local NOLA news and nothing mentioned. What was your source of information?

NOLA is increasing the number of cruises, so I would be surprised if NCL was leaving.

I've checked the local NOLA news and nothing mentioned. What was your source of information?

NOLA is increasing the number of cruises, so I would be surprised if NCL was leaving.

We are booked on the Jewel next year it is sailing from Houston not NOLA, in fact the Jewel only sails from Houston next year 2015, but the Dawn is sailing from NOLA next year

Edited by dgparent

winter 2015 schedules are not out yet.

Ditto. Just checked and the last Dawn cruise for 2015 is still out of Boston in October. There is nothing for the Dawn in November 2015 or later, so the schedule is not out yet.

I just find it really weird I got an email from NCL about a week ago saying that the 2016 schedules are out and that i can book miami and hawaii in jan of 2016. Haven't looked beyond that tho.

NCL is having to deeply discount there cruises here last minute it seems as everybody is going to carnival because some people can't take a 7day cruise. Some of the 5day carnival cruises are selling for more in the same time periods. Id take NCL over carnival any day but it is hurting them by not doing any shorter cruises.

...NCL is having to deeply discount there cruises here last minute it seems as everybody is going to carnival because some people can't take a 7day cruise. Some of the 5day carnival cruises are selling for more in the same time periods. Id take NCL over carnival any day but it is hurting them by not doing any shorter cruises.

Different marketing tactics.

Personally, we avoid anything less than 7 days. And would surely not take a 3-4 day. We go out of the way to get ones over 7 days. Those cruises are a different product.

Both are good, but for different folks.

Different marketing tactics.

Personally, we avoid anything less than 7 days. And would surely not take a 3-4 day. We go out of the way to get ones over 7 days. Those cruises are a different product.

Both are good, but for different folks.

I would love to be able to take a Panama canal cruise or something similar but I know that won't happen anytime soon. Maybe when I get married. Currently single so that's gonna be a while lol

I meant it as there leaving and not coming back the following winter

Where are you getting this idea? I haven't seen anything that refers to winter, 2015 available. Now, if there is any truth to this, no one would have the answer and certainly NCL isn't going to give out that type of information. I would guess it has to do with their using Houston's new port now. Hopefully they will find another embarkation port anyway and start trying to routes. Many of us are getting a little tired of the western Caribbean.

I just find it really weird I got an email from NCL about a week ago saying that the 2016 schedules are out and that i can book miami and hawaii in jan of 2016. Haven't looked beyond that tho.

NCL is having to deeply discount there cruises here last minute it seems as everybody is going to carnival because some people can't take a 7day cruise. Some of the 5day carnival cruises are selling for more in the same time periods. Id take NCL over carnival any day but it is hurting them by not doing any shorter cruises.

The 5 day versus the 7 day are totally different markets. As for taking one over the other, most people can, if they want take a 7 day as most 5 day cruises are Sun to Friday which means an entire week off work for most. I might also add, based on what my travel agent tells me, most NCL 7 day cruises are going out full. I find it a little hard to believe, based on the class of Carnival ships used for 5 day cruises and the problems CCL has had in the past few years the price would be higher than a 7 day cruise on any mass marketed line.

Hawaii and the SKY can be booked for many months past other ships as their schedule is always the same!

Go to ncl.com, search for cruises by date and you won't get anything past summer/fall 2015 other than those. They JUST released summer 2015 recently.

and don't use the UK site as we get the ships advertised many months after the USA - to get the pick of cabins we book through the USA

they are right though, the schedule is not out yet and when they do they release certain ships at a time - i.e the ones they want to fill first

• 2 weeks later...

This still makes me a bit nervous that there has been no announcement for NCL in NOLA beyond the spring of 2015.

I know in the past I knew the next 3 ships that were slated for NOLA so I know they have announced the schedule further in advance in the past.

I do my part as I typically get in 3-4 per each ships season in NOLA.

3 on the Star and about to do my 3rd on the Jewel while they were in NOLA.

I am spoiled at being able to drive down and hop on a NCL ship.

While I do not have a Crystal Ball my first thought would be that I do not see NCL pulling out of New Orleans but.... a good predictor where a ship is going to be is going right to the Port Schedule. http://portno.com/vessel-schedules Unfortunately I do not see any NCL ships in New Orleans for any late 2015 months or early 2016, RCI and Carnival are the only departures listed with port stops from ships like Aida also listed. The other thing is that the Jewel is moving to Port of Houston. While Yes Dawn will be doing cruises out of New Orleans in early 2015 my guess is they are trying to decide if they are staying in New Orleans.

While it is wishful thinking on my part I cannot help but wonder if they are not considering bringing a ship to the West Coast Full time through the winter months and keep a ship such as the star doing the back and forth runs of the Panama Canal. The Mexico runs are actually selling fairly with pricing staying high. I can see them keeping a ship like the Jewel or Dawn on the West Coast an then heading up to Alaska in the Spring. :)

I would love to be able to take a Panama canal cruise or something similar but I know that won't happen anytime soon. Maybe when I get married. Currently single so that's gonna be a while lol

Being single is the time to do the long cruises. One airfare, one bar bill, one excursion bill, etc etc etc.:D

(yes I am single as well)

While I do not have a Crystal Ball my first thought would be that I do not see NCL pulling out of New Orleans but.... a good predictor where a ship is going to be is going right to the Port Schedule. http://portno.com/vessel-schedules Unfortunately I do not see any NCL ships in New Orleans for any late 2015 months or early 2016, RCI and Carnival are the only departures listed with port stops from ships like Aida also listed. The other thing is that the Jewel is moving to Port of Houston. While Yes Dawn will be doing cruises out of New Orleans in early 2015 my guess is they are trying to decide if they are staying in New Orleans.

While it is wishful thinking on my part I cannot help but wonder if they are not considering bringing a ship to the West Coast Full time through the winter months and keep a ship such as the star doing the back and forth runs of the Panama Canal. The Mexico runs are actually selling fairly with pricing staying high. I can see them keeping a ship like the Jewel or Dawn on the West Coast an then heading up to Alaska in the Spring. :)

Thanks for that schedule link. Some good info to be uncovered there.

It is interesting to note that Carnival is bringing in even bigger ships in the form of the 128k ton Dream and have committed to be there through the end of 2017 which is as far as that schedule shows. Clearly they believe NOLA is good for their business. Of course they are also running the 70k Elation on 4 and 5 day runs.

RCCL has gone from the Voyager class to the 90k ton Serendade of the Seas and will be dropping to the 70k ton Splendour of the Seas in late 2015.

So it's hard to make a determination of how NOLA is doing based on those two companies. RCCL is shrinking capacity and Carnival is increasing it.

Oh well, I will give my money to whichever company stays in NOLA.

We are booked on dawn for November 2014. This is the week of thanksgiving. It may be the first or second ncl cruise of the winter season for ncl in New Orleans.

Now we usually book 2 yrs out and I have been checking for November of 2015 and real curious why nothing yet.

• 9 months later...
Where are you getting this idea? I haven't seen anything that refers to winter, 2015 available. Now, if there is any truth to this, no one would have the answer and certainly NCL isn't going to give out that type of information. I would guess it has to do with their using Houston's new port now. Hopefully they will find another embarkation port anyway and start trying to routes. Many of us are getting a little tired of the western Caribbean.

Ncl should alternate the inineraries to 1week Western Caribbean followed by 1 week Eastern, and so on. Change it up and vary, to give passengers a choice. Maybe some would book B2B's. I. for one, do not care for the Western Caribbean itineraries.