Is Anthem Coastal Kitchen like Luminae?

First time on Anthem in November (12 nights) and in a Spa Jr Suite so we get to dine in Coastal Kitchen. For those who have done Anthem and also Celebrity in suites, How much is CK like Luminae? On Celebrity we just go to Luminae every night over the MDR because it is that much better. Would you go to CK on Anthem every night or try every free restaurant at least once (our current plan). Would you mostly dine in CK and perhaps a couple of specialty restaurants? It is time to make dining and entertainment choices so just wondering what opinions are out there.

I've never sailed on a ship with CK, but we will in October.

I have sailed with X in a suite, and dined in Luminae. Luminae was where we dined every night for dinner; I thought it completely replaced the MDR, which isn't how it is on RC. The bar was raised high with Luminae and I feel like I've been spoiled. I hope CK is as good.

For our upcoming cruise on HOTS, I made CK reservations online for every other night, alternating with a my-time-dining reservation in the MDR. We usually book our specialty restaurants while on board (it's just my husband and I), and then cancel whichever dining room we were going to be doing that day.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! I am hoping to get some advice from those who have recently experienced CK and Luminae.

I would love to hear that too.

(I see you've been on Reflection. We have 2 cruises booked on that ship for next year. :) )

We had a Spa JS on the Anthem TA, and thought dinner in CK was an incredible perk. Fantastic food and service to match. BUT the menu was (probably still is) pretty limited, and as much as we loved dining there, three dinners at CK were enough. There just wasn't sufficient variety. (They had two limited menus that they alternated over the 8-night sailing, but most of the items on them were the same.)

We had a great dinner at Chops, and also tried the included venues. The latter turned out to be pretty disappointing, food and service-wise. I hope they have improved since last fall.

We love Celebrity but haven't yet experienced Luminae, but my understanding is that it is intended to be more of an MDR, with rotating menus. Also, from what I've read, you can even order off the actual MDR menu if you don't see something you want that night on the Luminae menu. Coastal Kitchen is not Luminae in terms of menu variety.

OP: I'd have several dinners in CK, try Chops, maybe other specialties if they appeal to you (we cancelled our reservation in Jamie's after seeing the place -- it looks like you are dining in a shopping mall), and try some of the "included" venues.

Have a great cruise!

We were on the Anthem June 30 9 night. They had 7 different dinner menus. So nights 8 and 9 were the same as nights 1 and 2. I understand Allure and Oasis still have just 2 menus. CK on Anthem was also open for lunch on port days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Anthem June 30 9 night. They had 7 different dinner menus. So nights 8 and 9 were the same as nights 1 and 2. I understand Allure and Oasis still have just 2 menus. CK on Anthem was also open for lunch on port days.

I seem to recall hearing a report that either Oasis or Allure had switched to the 7 menus with a different one every night.

So, OP: If there are indeed 7 menus with a different one every night, I would have no issue eating in CK for the entire cruise.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I seem to recall hearing a report that either Oasis or Allure had switched to the 7 menus with a different one every night.

So, OP: If there are indeed 7 menus with a different one every night, I would have no issue eating in CK for the entire cruise.

It would have been great to have 7 menus!

I would still try Chops on Anthem, though, it was terrific.

We were on Oasis last week....different menu each night in Coastal Kitchen. We loved the offerings even more than when there were only two menus.

We were on Oasis last week....different menu each night in Coastal Kitchen. We loved the offerings even more than when there were only two menus.

That sounds great! I have a B2B on Allure in September. I hope they have 7 dinner menus.

I would love to hear that too.

(I see you've been on Reflection. We have 2 cruises booked on that ship for next year. :) )

We'll be on the Anthem 10/1. We plan on dining in CK 60-70% of our meals. I'll post a comparison to Luminae when we return.

What is the dress code in Coastal Kitchen? We just booked a suite for next year but was curious, more for my DH. We usually have been sailing Disney so I don't know how people dress on other lines anymore. I know anything goes now for the most part but whats the norm. Are jeans okay? Or is CK all dress pants and dress shirt? Somewhere in between? Thanks!

What is the dress code in Coastal Kitchen? We just booked a suite for next year but was curious, more for my DH. We usually have been sailing Disney so I don't know how people dress on other lines anymore. I know anything goes now for the most part but whats the norm. Are jeans okay? Or is CK all dress pants and dress shirt? Somewhere in between? Thanks!

Smart Casual.

Smart casual doesn't help, lol!

We got to high end restaurant in NYC and wear jeans and its the norm. Years ago if anyone wore jeans on RCCL or any cruise line they'd be turned away. Disney is so lax now that they allow shorts, which I would never but thats me. On our last Alaska Disney people came in sweat shirts on semi-formal. So I really want to know what people wear from observation! Thanks!

We got to high end restaurant in NYC and wear jeans and its the norm. Years ago if anyone wore jeans on RCCL or any cruise line they'd be turned away. Disney is so lax now that they allow shorts, which I would never but thats me. On our last Alaska Disney people came in sweat shirts on semi-formal. So I really want to know what people wear from observation! Thanks!

The cruise line suggestions:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Okay thanks, but if you don't really want to answer my question from personal experience for some reason, its okay. I read that already but a FAQ on a corporate website doesn't help with what is actual. It reads like jeans are okay everywhere but the one formal/jacket required restaurant. So I assume if my DH wears jeans anywhere else, he won't be turned away but what I really wanted to know is how others dress.

On Disney we observe semi & formal nights even though about half the cruise doesn't since we do like dressing up sometimes. again years ago, on RCCL, I haven't been in about 8 years, it was very different and you HAD to observe, but then Disney was too even 2 years ago.

Based on my observation from three dinners in CK on the Anthem TA last fall, nothing at all dressy is required. Collared shirts and slacks for guys, nice jeans probably as well (I can't recall, but really, people weren't dressed up). My wife and I wore slacks (I probably wore black jeans at least one night) and blouses/shirts. I don't recall anyone in sweats or anything like that; people were dressed in what I would call "smart casual." Sorry if you don't like the term, but it's the best description. :)

No need to overthink it, just go and enjoy! :)

BTW: in Grande, which supposedly has a "formal" dress code, guys did not even have to wear ties or dress shirts, and while they had to walk in with a jacket (or get a loaner), they could just carry it to their chair and sling it over the chair during dinner. The dress code in Grande is a joke (not that I care, I'm just reporting), so don't worry about CK.

First time on Anthem in November (12 nights) and in a Spa Jr Suite so we get to dine in Coastal Kitchen. For those who have done Anthem and also Celebrity in suites, How much is CK like Luminae? On Celebrity we just go to Luminae every night over the MDR because it is that much better. Would you go to CK on Anthem every night or try every free restaurant at least once (our current plan). Would you mostly dine in CK and perhaps a couple of specialty restaurants? It is time to make dining and entertainment choices so just wondering what opinions are out there.

I would skip free restaurants - nothing to write home about it, but will recommend to try Wonderland and Jamie's kitchen.

Our first experience of Luminae on Celebrity wasn't good. Limited menu. On our next two sailings on Celebrity we could have the Luminae menu or the MDR menu. Brilliant.

We are back on RCCL next, not one with CK, but if the ships with CK don't offer MDR choices then I suspect they soon will.