Is paris safe?!?!?

2ferfun

Planning on taking our kids (11 and 14) on their first cruise next year and in reading all the online information about Paris it sounds as if you are accosted everywhere by aggressive beggars, vendors and scammers! For those of you that have been recently, are the touristy areas (eiffel tower, Louvre, arc de triomphe, etc) safe places to take kids? Is this really a serious problem or is it more that the people who had issues went online and posted and the people who had a wonderful time didn't? Help reassure me that Paris is the wonderful city I believe it to be!:eek:

Oh my! Where to start. We are currently traveling in France (with a rental car) where we have been for the past month. We are US seniors, and a month ago we spent a week in Paris (not our first visit) in a rented apartment in the St Germain des Pres area. DW and I always feel quite safe in Paris (day or night) and have never been "accosted" by anyone. Yes, Paris has its share of homeless (just like in St Louis) and they might sometime beg for money (just like in Missouri). Vendors? Paris is a large city with thousands of stores (large and small), tens of thousands of small shops, etc. If you walk in a place like an Ugly American and do not bother to say "Bon Jour" you might find yourself ignored to a point of frustration. If you bother to learn a teeny bit about French culture, and say a friendly "Bon Jour" with a smile, you will be treated better then in most American stores. Is Paris a wonderful city? DW has been to nearly 100 countries and many more cities and she would tell you that Paris is her favorite city in the world. But like any large city, it is what you make it that matters. Taking kids to the Eiffel Tower is fun, but do be prepared for long lines to actually go up the Tower. We took our daughter to Paris for her first European trip when she was 9 (she is now in her 30s) and she still remembers everything about that trip. But do yourself a favor. If you plan on doing Paris on your own (not as part of a tour) take some time and read about the city. Get a decent guide book (we like the Rick Steves series) and read it cover to cover. Once you have done your research please feel free to post any specific questions here on CC or perhaps on the French forum of Trip Advisor.

Hank

Paris is as safe or unsafe as any large city. Obviously, if you venture into poor neighbourhoods you may encounter an element of feeling unsafe, but these places are away from the tourist areas. Myself and OH go to France approximately 4 or 5 times a year. Admittedley, not to Paris, but we never feel unsafe in France because we are not venturing into no go areas of cities.

Like any large city you will find street beggars, homeless people etc, but that's life. As long as you have your wits about you and look after your belongings you should be fine.

Thank you for the info! I have already worn Rick Steves' Paris guide to a frazzle and have done tons of research. I have done all I can to learn about french culture and how to be polite and not be an ugly American. I found an online forum that just had post after post of people who had been scammed or pressured by aggressive beggars and street vendors and it made me feel as if there was just trouble everywhere! Its good to know that these are isolated experiences and not the norm. Thanks for the reassurance.

If you're interested the website is below:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Ile_de_France/Paris-99080/Warnings_or_Dangers-Paris-Safety-BR-2.html

PS. And we here in Kansas City would always claim to feel unsafe 'cross-state in St. Louis! But that might be more to do with baseball than beggars!:)

Edited by 2ferfun

The only thing i had stolen in Paris was my heart. All I can say is, my first visit to Paris was about a year and a half ago and it truly captured my cynical heart, I had read all the stories about pickpockets, gypsies, snobs and ripoffs. Truly, I dd not really want to go... But alas, Paris won me over. Yes, we saw the guys selling fake stuff and gypsies with clipboards taking "surveys" but it did nothing to tarnish the beauty of this magical city. Stay on your toes but soak up the magic!

Paris feels like a very safe city. I never felt nervous there but it always makes sense to put your valuables in a zippered pocket or a little pouch under your clothes and keep a firm grip on your camera in any city.

Paris a a beautiful city and one of the nicest in Europe.

Really surprised at this post. Usually the further south in Europe you go, the more complaints about people hustling and pickpocketing you.

Never heard or felt this in Paris, and we spent four days there in September. So wonderful, I return for a week in late October. Of course, I seldom carry a purse there; prefer to use a bra stash and then have no worries at all, particularly when using the excellent public transportation.

Rick Steves' Paris guidebook is excellent.

The main busy tourist areas are fine - but like any other city there are pickpockets especially at Gare du Nord/Gare st Lazare. There are scams too but just be aware . Don't wander in the dark around the area north of the Gare du Nord and Belleville as these can be dodgy but there again I am sure they wouldn't be on your list anyway. If you are nervous stay in the centre where it is busy, be aware and you will be fine.

Take the usual precautions. Hang on tight to your camera bag. Barcelona is known for pickpockets and scams. If you do some research on Barcelona, you will get good advice on steps to minimize your chance of being a victim. Go and enjoy.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I knew this to be true, but reading that forum made me second guess myself. I think I just found a place where everyone who had a problem was venting about it. We are super excited about our first trip to Paris!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

You made me curious to do some research for "St.Louis". I didn't knew that city, and i am surprised ! Most dangerous city of us. :eek:

Paris is safe if you be careful....

Some areas like Belleville, Barbes, Clichy, Saint Denis, etc. are a little dangerous... That's right ! If you go outside of Paris like Vitry sur seine, Montreuil, Villiers le bel, etc. Yes, be very very (VERY) careful. I advise you to not go there...

Inside of Paris, near 'tourists areas', it's like every big cities. :)

(but don't take the first metro at 5/6am the sunday :D )

Edited by frenchrci

I would stay in the center of Paris. The banlieue is known to have some rough sections, that I would personally not want to stay in.

It's the opposite of what you would find in the States where the inner cities often have a higher crime rate whereas the suburbs are usually safer.

Paris is very safe as far as bodily harm, but watch out for pickpockets and scammers. We were there last July, and there is proliferation of petition girls who want you to sign a petition, we saw these girls at all major attractions; my hubby was actually approached by a young woman with the gold ring scam crossing a bridge near the Louvre; an older woman bumped me hard while I was pursuing souvenirs at the Louvre; lots of African peddlers trying to sell you trinkets, which is not really a scam but according to the guide against the law because they aren't licensed; also peddlers selling bottled water which is actually reused water bottles with tap water. Most of these I read about in Rick Steves so I was prepared, thankfully. Not to be one big Rick Steves advertisement but he does sell a silk wear under your clothes money belt that I recommend for traveling in any large city.

The gold ring scam is very common - just walk away.

I know, I read about it, but I couldn't believe they actually try to pull it off. I guess they get lots of money from it or they would have given up a long time ago.

Paris is much safer than Kansas City, it is beautiful (and you won't get shot on the freeway)

Not been to Kansas City, but I have been to Paris many times. Same as everywhere. Be carefull, don't shout louder if people don't understand you. Seriously, Stay to the main tourist areas, take care of you belongings and keep your wit about you, watch out for dog's mess on the pavement ( sidewalk ?). I also understand there are less tornado's in Paris than there are in Kansas.:D

Reminds me of the time I went to Paris - armed with all the knowledge of being in a larger foreign city. Pick pockets, watching alley ways, staying on the main tourist paths, etc... Was walking down the street and towards a little old lady who was walking towards me. Both of us in motion now only 10 feet apart when she drops down to pick something up from the ground. A large men's gold ring! She quickly passes puts it in my hand and says this must be yours..... I start to shake my head but she says it belongs to you. I sort of shrug and smile...then she reaches out her hand and asks for 5 Euro. (Ring was prob worth about 1 Euro) I gladly paid her the 5 Euro because she "caught me" despite my alert vigilance. I think the moral is we are traveling in cities (including the city we live in) and can be caught at any time. Just be smart, read up on some tips and you'll be fine knowing that anything can be replaced. Don't let a bad moment spoil a great trip.

Paris is perfectly safe. Yes, there are gypsies and scammers, but just be aware of the common scams. The gold ring one has already been mentioned. Do not allow anyone to place something in your hand, such as a flower. They will then demand payment (common scam around the touristy areas, such as the Eiffel tower). Don't accept offers of someone to take your picture and hand them your camera. Don't look like a victim and you won't be one.

...are the touristy areas (eiffel tower, Louvre, arc de triomphe, etc) safe places

Of course the touristy areas are also the favorites of pick pickets. You'll have to take the usual measures. As far as safety is concerned: no problem especially in the well patrolled touristy spots

I have been to Pwris over 15 times since the late 70s and there is no more wonderful city IMO. In may, for the first time ever, some man tried to scam me with the gold ring thing when I was over near the opera. I generally do not visit the right bank much except to go to the Marais, so I had not been in the area for a couple of years. I just ignored him and kept on walking. I have found that the less contact you have with these people, the better. They dont even phase me.

In all the years I have been visiting Paris nothing has ever happened to me, and I usually walk around all over the city by myself. however, I am prudent in crowds and attractions, on the Metro, etc, and use common sense. I always stay in hotels in the 6th where I am able to walk around by myself after dark if I want without worrying about my safety. Stay aware and you will love it!

Just make sure you allow yourself plenty of days to enjoy Paris at leisure, not have to run around madly visiting every tourist attraction and miss the true essence of the city.