Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

OK Jeff, since this is a “watercooler” type thread and monitored by English men, I have a question that might be right up your alley:

We are booked on the Wind, taking the London to London voyage and staying four days before and four days after in London. Would like to stay centrally located and at a hotel that represents the feel of London at its best.

Wife is tired of me dragging her around the world to three-star Michelin (molecular gastronomy) restaurants with four hour dining events. But she very much enjoys the one star Michelin places because it’s usually local cuisine, done very nicely.

Wife has been there over the last few years with dogs at the Crufts dog show. Last time I was there was 35 years ago just for a couple of days.

If you were our local travel rep; where would you send us to experience London for a very memorable experience?

Jeff has given you very good advice as what to see in London and there are many different types included but as to your question where to stay when in London I would recommend the Goring Hotel which is situated just behind Buckingham Palace.

Hi Terry, your interest in Deutz and champagne associated memories ....Well, when my daughter decided to get married, I asked her where she wanted to and she said "Dad, you're not going to like this but I would like to get married at Whatley Manor.

Appreciate so much Jeff's great story on his daughter's wedding, etc. Did some web "checking" and was super impressed by Whatley Manor. Looks wonderful, plus the Chef, Martin Burge, must be totally amazing to win two Michelin stars.

Wonderful sharing!!! Looks like another excellent place to check out when we next visit the UK.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 196,493 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Lux you are such a lurker...but then add such cogent comments.

Sea day 2 for us here on the spirit or the apparition, is lovely. The azure water following the ship is just beyond describable.

Jeff...your food looks yummy as always.

Terry...always more champagne. Can there ever be too much on a cruise?

Appreciate so much Jeff's great story on his daughter's wedding, etc. Did some web "checking" and was super impressed by Whatley Manor. Looks wonderful, plus the Chef, Martin Burge, must be totally amazing to win two Michelin stars.

Wonderful sharing!!! Looks like another excellent place to check out when we next visit the UK.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 196,493 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Terry, you will love Whatley Manor and Martin's food. On an interesting day you may also meet some "interesting" people as the Manor is used by many people you will recognise who do not wish to have meetings in London under the inquisitive minds of the media.

Do go if you can.

Sea day 2 for us here on the spirit or the apparition, is lovely. The azure water following the ship is just beyond describable.

Jeff...your food looks yummy as always.

Thanks for the words about my morsels. Lovely to hear you are having a great time.

Yesterday I made her some char siu. She really loved it.

0FA469F9-A270-4F2E-AE4F-4699752CB745.jpg

DA503D24-E23D-4A1C-88B5-5B512D7BDCA3.jpg

Sea day 2 for us here on the spirit or the apparition, is lovely. The azure water following the ship is just beyond describable. Terry...always more champagne. Can there ever be too much on a cruise?

YES for more Champagne!! Below is an example for one Champagne we had on the Silver Cloud while in Le Champagne. Love to see your pictures of those blue waters on the Spirit, etc.

Keep drinking that Champagne until you have it perfected 100% correct.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 27,154 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Spring2015A3_zps2dc36wht.jpg

Jeff has given you very good advice as what to see in London and there are many different types included but as to your question where to stay when in London I would recommend the Goring Hotel which is situated just behind Buckingham Palace.

Oh yes, the Goring is wonderful! We stayed there once pre-cruise. Haven't found such a great deal again but hope to return when we can find one.

In the same region, look at Hotel 41, or its sister property next door, the Rubens at the Palace. Both are conveniently located on Buckingham Palace Road across from the Royal Mews, a few minutes from Victoria Station. The 41 has priced itself very high since it's scored so well in polls the past few years, so we won't stay there again until they come down out of the stratosphere... But the Rubens was similar for much less. :)

Home late last night after a great week in the South of France. Not looking forward to going to work this afternoon!

Home late last night after a great week in the South of France. Not looking forward to going to work this afternoon!

UKCruiseJeff: Terry' date=' Do you like Blue Top? Jeff [/quote']

Glad to know that JP is back, safe and sound. BUT, we need many, many more details, lots of pictures, etc. Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Yes, Jeff, I liked the Blue Top Champagne. BUT, I'm not a guy who drinks that much Champagne at home, when dining out here, etc. Got to save my budget and limited dollars in order to do more future cruises, trips, adventures, etc.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 50,481 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

As an update on my recent dining at home, below is what I "cooked" last night. It was up to my skill levels. A microwave re-heat of Friday evening's dining delight, Chinese, from our local favorite, Hunan Lion. Very good . . . BOTH . . . Friday night while watching NCAA Sweet Sixteen basketball battles and last evening. Friday night, we also had their Spring Rolls. BUT, none of those left over for Sunday night.

Sunday had more great NCAA basketball tournament action. For next weekend's Final Four, two of the teams are both from the Big Ten conference where our Ohio State Buckeyes play. Our OSU team has been to the Final Four twice since 2007, but not this year.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 104,555 views for this posting.

Here is a little re-heat from Hunan Lion of their combination dish with shrimp, beef and chicken with brown sauce, plus their wonderful green beans with super flavor. Plus, some Summer Shandy beer in a frosted mug!!:

Spring2015A4_zps0kcsavuy.jpg

Oh yes, the Goring is wonderful! We stayed there once pre-cruise. Haven't found such a great deal again but hope to return when we can find one.

In the same region, look at Hotel 41, or its sister property next door, the Rubens at the Palace. Both are conveniently located on Buckingham Palace Road across from the Royal Mews, a few minutes from Victoria Station. The 41 has priced itself very high since it's scored so well in polls the past few years, so we won't stay there again until they come down out of the stratosphere... But the Rubens was similar for much less. :)

If you want to break away from the usual suspects, try either "Hazlitt's" in Soho or the "Rookery" in Clerkenwell.

They are quite unique and worth a look....

http://www.rookeryhotel.com/rookery/

You won't believe you are in an hotel in central London.

:)

Edited by PS Caledonia
Adding link.....

Looking forward to reports and/or photos from JP and Sophia on their cruises shortly! Do hope all had a wonderful time.

Yes, yes to the above posting on wanting more from JP and Sophia, etc., about their travels. Plus, from South Florida's Candy.

Sorry from Ohio that I do not have any fancy flower and/or exotic bird pictures that those from California, etc., can post. BUT, it has been sunny and getting wonderful spring weather here for the past three days in the midwest. Nice change from the winter blasts. Below are a couple of photos that I snapped yesterday.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 20,820 views for these postings.

In our backyard area that was covered with snow last week, here is the view near our waterfall. Lots of good sunshine here in Ohio!! Plus, here's a bird at our feeder above our patio area. Spring is here!!:

Spring2015A5_zpswgszx33v.jpg

Spring2015A6_zpslfusuxk3.jpg

jpalbny

It looks like you have traveled with Silversea several times. We are in our mid forties, quite active and considering the Istanbul to Venice cruise on Silver Cloud. We have not cruised on a Silversea cruise in the past and I am interested in understanding more about the age demographic and cruise atmosphere.

Any info would be appreciated.

jpalbny

It looks like you have traveled with Silversea several times. We are in our mid forties, quite active and considering the Istanbul to Venice cruise on Silver Cloud. We have not cruised on a Silversea cruise in the past and I am interested in understanding more about the age demographic and cruise atmosphere.

Any info would be appreciated.

We are in your age demographic and we're pretty active too; if you've seen some of our trip journals we do tend to vacation at full throttle! We're usually some of the youngest onboard the "traditional" ships though we have met a number of folks in our age group so there does tend to be a bit of a mixture. Regardless of the demographic, we enjoy these trips immensely and find the ambience onboard very enjoyable. Other passengers are generally outgoing and personable so age has been largely irrelevant.

We find plenty to do in port but perhaps not as much onboard - so too many sea days might get to us. The food and wine range from very nice to occasionally spectacular.

If you have not looked at their expedition ships then you really should - some of those itineraries are amazing and Silver Explorer is a great way to visit these places.

I apologize if this is vague but if you want more information on any specific area, let me know and I'll go into more detail.

Happy Easter!! And, sunny Spring greetings!! In Charlottesville, Va. (home area of Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe), we are catching up with our two grandsons, family, etc., over this joyous Easter holiday weekend. Below are a few of my visual "proofs" of spring here.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 105,065 views for this posting.

Below are some visuals samples from this scenic part of Virginia where the spring season is a little ahead of what has been happening in Ohio. Nice to see the flowering trees, daffodils, etc. The first picture is of a nice Easter flower arrangement inside at our son's home in Charlottesville.:

Spring2015A16_zpslfkdeefl.jpg

Spring2015A17_zpswxoofvqw.jpg

Spring2015A15_zps1b49dgqw.jpg

Spring2015A18_zps4qimluur.jpg

Spring2015A14_zps3vudksww.jpg

Terry, thanks for posting those nice Spring pictures! Much nicer than the gray nasty weather we had in Albany yesterday. Luckily, we didn't have to do much other than rest up from our cruise, and think about the next vacation!

We leave for a 2+ week adventure in Africa (Rwanda and Tanzania) in 7-1/2 weeks, with 3 other couples who we met aboard Silver Explorer 18 months ago. It's going to be great fun. Now we have to get our applications in tout de suite for the Tanzanian Visa. Couldn't do it earlier, as we needed our passports to visit France.

We were going to visit China with Uniworld next Spring but they have changed the dates. Now instead of March, we're looking at April or even May of 2016 to get the itinerary we want. Those dates work out less well for us - so we might do something more independent instead. Not to China, but somewhere else. Lots of time to think about it!

One thought that we have is something in South America (like Chile, for example) and combining that with a few days on Easter Island. They have an all-inclusive resort there that looks quite nice. We looked at that possibility a few years ago but it didn't work out. Anyone have firsthand experience with visiting Easter Island?

Terry in Ohio: Thank you for posting the pictures of the lovely Easter flowers, for all your other special photos the last few years, and for your informative trip reports! I look forward to reading more of your typically upbeat, thoughtful and inspiring posts.

The food and wine range from very nice to occasionally spectacular.

Speaking of food, we had a wonderful luncheon in the Restaurant on the Silver Spirit when it was anchored off of Lahaina, Maui last month (and no, we were not travel agent guests). The menu was chosen by the chef, and the fish course was swordfish in an honestly spectacular light sauce. We know we should have asked for the recipe then, but perhaps someone here can tell us who to contact now to get the recipe. Many mahalos!!

Terry, thanks for posting those nice Spring pictures! Much nicer than the gray nasty weather we had in Albany yesterday. Luckily, we didn't have to do much other than rest up from our cruise, and think about the next vacation! We leave for a 2+ week adventure in Africa (Rwanda and Tanzania) in 7-1/2 weeks, with 3 other couples who we met aboard Silver Explorer 18 months ago. It's going to be great fun. Now we have to get our applications in tout de suite for the Tanzanian Visa. Couldn't do it earlier, as we needed our passports to visit France. We were going to visit China with Uniworld next Spring but they have changed the dates. Now instead of March, we're looking at April or even May of 2016 to get the itinerary we want. Anyone have firsthand experience with visiting Easter Island?

Catlover54: Thank you' date=' Terry in Ohio for posting the pictures of the lovely Easter flowers, for all your other special photos the last few years, and for [b']your informative trip reports![/b] I look forward to reading more of your typically upbeat, thoughtful and inspiring posts.

Appreciate these follow-ups and very kind comments. We are back in Columbus, got our two lab dogs back home last night, finishing to unpack, etc. Had a great time with our two grandsons over this Easter weekend, Friday through Monday morning. Below is one photo sample. Did sharing with our grandsons about the various sights during parts of our trip, talking about pirates, etc. They like seeing various videos we took during this trip, seeing pictures, etc.

WOW on the next travels for JP and Chris going to Africa, China. More great adventures. South Africa and Botswana are on our early 2016 planning schedule. And, at a future date, hopefully, for China, etc. So much to see and do!! So little time and money?? Easter Island sounds interesting too, but many other options are higher on our list for priorities in the next few years.

Catlover54 is very thoughtful in the comments about my posts and style. Yes, guilty as charged for focusing on the "cup being half full" rather than dwelling too much on the negatives. Most of us are very fortunate with our "luck" and experiences. It's fun sharing, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 175,972 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Child labor? Here are our two grandsons enjoying the Charlottesville, Virginia, sunny weather over the glory-filled Easter weekend. The oldest is exactly four and a half years old. The youngest is two year, eight months. Both of them enjoy playing with construction toys, being active, etc. This was our first visit with them since mid January prior to when we left for the Amazon River and Caribbean.:

Spring2015A13_zpsshdszcqc.jpg

Back from Charlottesville, Virginia and getting things done in Columbus. It has been rainy, but getting warmer here in Central Ohio the past two days. Got out this afternoon to grab some home yard pictures of bulbs, other flowers and various yard "action". Below are my photographs for today's "Spring Sampler"!!

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 105,482 views for this posting.

Here is a "Spring Sampler" from around on our home property this afternoon in Central Ohio. Shown are a few of the early daffodil bulbs, a deer in our fenced backyard, more floral/plant examples, etc. About two inches of rain has fallen here during the past two days. Nice to be having these early flowers starting to pop up!!:

Spring2015A24_zpsqckqbky0.jpg

Spring2015A23_zpsllcmxdon.jpg

Spring2015A21_zps3b1uy8rg.jpg

Spring2015A22_zpsktymunw1.jpg

Spring2015A20_zps8rih9jbp.jpg

Spring2015A25_zpsgvdrqtxb.jpg

Between watching the record-tying final round of the Masters golf tournament from Augusta, Ga., and getting my income tax filings nearly completed, I took a little late-afternoon walk to see Spring flowers coming up in our backyard and to enjoy a nice, warm weather day.

Below are the results showing how a number of the early daffodils are coming up, plus others, etc. Also got some up-close-and-personal pictures of four deer exploring around back there. BUT, only room here for these six Spring floral pictures.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 197,396 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here's this afternoon's late Spring flower "show" from our backyard in Central Ohio. Got to love the joys of Spring after a hard Midwest winter!!:

Spring2015A23_zpsn9p1gnhu.jpg

Spring2015A24_zpssw6e251t.jpg

Spring2015A21_zpszuk230vc.jpg

Spring2015A22_zps4dp92rvy.jpg

Spring2015A19_zpspyq5ydjg.jpg

Spring2015A20_zpsrhsupllt.jpg

Terry, love the spring flowers. Sure is nice to see them after this ugly winter we've had! Ours are a few weeks behind but making progress. The rabbits in our yard are lined up, eagerly anticipating a smorgasbord in the near future...

Busy finishing up the trip log from our Provence cruise...more than halfway done at this point. And, we are busy planning future vacations! We don't think China will work next Spring, so we're probably going to transfer the onboard booking to a Danube cruise for April 2016. That will be only one week long instead of two, so it fits better with the master plan. September 2016 is going to be (hopefully) 2 weeks in Madagascar, with some time in South Africa afterwards to relax.

We are looking at options for this September (2015); thinking about another week driving around in Germany and Switzerland after taking European delivery of a new Audi. So many great places to visit, so little time! Chris is diligently reading guidebooks and I'm consulting Google maps. :) We need to spend more time driving the mountain passes in Switzerland this time.

Only 6 weeks until the big Africa trip! Our passports have arrived at the Tanzanian embassy, so hopefully they are working on our visas. In the meantime, that means we're stuck at home until they get back to us!

Edited by jpalbny

Terry,lovely photos of the daffodils and was that hyacinth? Amazing fragrance.

Weird to be home and sleeping on ordinary sheets instead of frette linens, crisply starched and smooth as silk against the skin. As well, no sound of waves crashing against the hull, or spray flying over the rail of the verandah. Miss being rocked to sleep at night after a sea day of attentive pampering and indulging of mind and body.

Good to be home to see the dogs and children, not in order of preference, of course. I had forgotten what it's like to sleep with two dogs on my side of the bed, which leaves me little room to stretch out. The older dog feels she must snuggle against me, which can't be for warmth as she has an elegant fur coat on all the time. The border collie, Eloise has the bottom half of the bed, and periodically has dogmares, when she apparently must dream she is running as her legs move and she whimpers. I wake her up gently and she falls back to sleep.

It's hot as blazes here. There has been no rain since we have been gone and much of what I recently planted has either flourished or dried to a crisp. The established plants even look thirsty. Fortunately there is no climate shock for us on being home, we are in the same or similar zone of temperature and humidity.

I will have to go back and read the posts to catch up. I did not take my laptop on the cruise, which made it tough for me post as well as read posts. I can't understand why my iPad is so slow and drops messages, etc. I will have to try and figure out the mechanics of the problem so as not to experience it again.

Jeff...what is the food du jour?

Terry, lovely photos of the daffodils and was that hyacinth? Amazing fragrance.

Good to be home to see the dogs and children, not in order of preference, of course.

Jeff...what is the food du jour?

jpalbny: Terry' date=' [b']love the spring flowers[/b]. Sure is nice to see them after this ugly winter we've had! Ours are a few weeks behind but making progress. The rabbits in our yard are lined up, eagerly anticipating a smorgasbord in the near future...

Appreciate these nice comments from Candy and JP. Yes, where is Jeff's good food pictures and keen insights to keep us mentally alert.

Still looking forward to more travel details from JP and Candy. Inquiring minds want much more in visuals and comments.

Great weather here in Central Ohio this weekend. Lots to do outside. More pictures to grab. The flowers keep popping up. Yes, that one flower is hyacinth. Headed to a pops concert tonight with Motown superstar Smokey Robinson tonight with the local Columbus Symphony Orchestra.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 106,001 views for this posting.