Priority Disembarcation

2ptu/000

As newly minted 4 star Mariners, I'm wondering how priority disembarkation works. I looked at the FAQs and that said as part of the disembarkation process we could chose what time we left the ship. Does that mean we can just leave whenever we want or do we have to tell the front desk what time we want to leave?

As newly minted 4 star Mariners, I'm wondering how priority disembarkation works. I looked at the FAQs and that said as part of the disembarkation process we could chose what time we left the ship. Does that mean we can just leave whenever we want or do we have to tell the front desk what time we want to leave?

When you get the form for disembarkation, either write on the top that you are 4 star mariners and want a certain time, or go and talk to them at the Front Desk and let them know. The latter is better because it is face to face and you can be sure they understand and do what you are asking for.

Last Spring was our first cruise as 4-star Mariners. Our boarding cards were marked appropriately and worked for any purchases that we made. Our PG reservations, although paid in advance, were credited (50%) to our onboard account. As far as disembarkation, we filled out the form and when we got our packet, we had tickets which were designated for 4-star. No problems.:D Never had to speak to anyone...laundry service was terrific!

Edited by Skipper's Mom

You can choose whatever time you wish on the Front Desk Disembarkation Form BUT you can leave whenever you want on Disembarkation Day.

As newly minted 4 star Mariners.... we could chose what time we left the ship. Does that mean we can just leave whenever we want or do we have to tell the front desk what time we want to leave?

If you have bags that you need to pick up in the terminal (not sent directly to an airport), then it is better that you tell the front desk when you plan on disembarking. Otherwise your bags might not be available at the correct time.

Scott & Karen

If you're given a disembark time of 9AM and you choose to use priority disembarkation privileges and leave earlier you may find that your luggage is not in the terminal yet. It would be best, as someone else suggested, to get the proper colour tags from the front desk so your bags will be ready for you.

What about if you keep your bags, and do self-disembarkation? How does the priority thing work then?

That's what we always do, we just leave when we want and take our bags. Personally I dont see how this is a perk as anyone can go to the front desk and get the disembarkation time they want.

What about if you keep your bags, and do self-disembarkation? How does the priority thing work then?

As Sapper said, you would then have to go in the very first group called. That comes at about 7:30 on most disembarkations.

You must be able to handle all your own luggage without any assistance to do self-disembark.

And if you have asked for self disembarkation, they expect you to get off the ship as soon as that group is called. Mainly because self disembarkation people with all their luggage do take up a lot of elevator space and they need to get those elevators freed up for those with scooters and those who require wheel chair assistance.

Being a 4 (or 5) Star Mariner does not always count for much on longer HAL cruises. We took one Prinsendam cruise where nearly 75% of the passengers were 4 and 5 Star. So when 75% gets "priorty" nobody really gets priority. But when we want to get off a HAL cruise fast (we are 4 Star) we will often just take our luggage tags down to Guest Relations and ask to swap them for one of the higher priority numbers. Never a problem.

That being said, we love to be the last off a ship when she docks and often arrange our air (if we are flying the same day) for early afternoon. We usually head up to the pool deck, grab some loungers, get some coffee, and read our Kindles. While others are waiting in long queues, getting upset because things are not moving fast, worrying about making an early flight, etc. we are just relaxing and sipping our coffee. Then, usually about 9:30-10, when just about everyone is off the ship we simply take the elevator down to the appropriate deck, walk off the ship (no lines), pick up our luggage (easy to find among the few remaining pieces), and grab a taxi (no taxi queue at this point).

Hank

On shorter cruises, we do expedited disembarkation - first group off with our luggage. I am always amazed at how much luggage some people attempt to carry off unaided. On this past cruise, there was a woman ahead of us with two large bags of the handle/pull variety, one large suitcase that she kicked off ahead of her, plus two carry-on sized bags in her arms. Needless to say, she did not have her documentation out so had to paw through her small bags to find it, thus holding everyone else up. Go figure.