Which airport - FLL or MIA for a cruise out of the port of Miami?

sml3

Cruising in February out of the Port of Miami. We've done this before but have always flow into FLL. I've checked prices and they are the same into both airports. I've never been to the Miami airport. Which one is most convenient to fly in and out of when cruising out of Miami. We already have a hotel booked in Miami pre cruise.

Last February FLL was a ZOO after our cruise (Port Everglades)! Does MIA get just as crowded?

If the prices are the same I would have probably fly into Mia. Very nice airport with plenty of room to move around. I flew into FLL last year and the return flight was a nightmare . Very crowded , no place to sit and getting something to eat was insane. The only plus was we saved a few hundred bucks and were able to non stop flights both ways.

If the prices are the same I would have probably fly into Mia. Very nice airport with plenty of room to move around. I flew into FLL last year and the return flight was a nightmare . Very crowded , no place to sit and getting something to eat was insane. The only plus was we saved a few hundred bucks and were able to non stop flights both ways.

MIA is a busy airport most of the time. But it is better than FLL for departures.

Agreed with the above. Given a cruise out of Miami, transportation from FLL to MIA can cost you a fair amount of money and MIA usually has more departures. Plus with me being an Aviation nut, I've spotted the A380 in MIA, but never in FLL. The bad for me is Southwest doesn't fly into MIA, so I have to pay to check bags.

. Plus with me being an Aviation nut, I've spotted the A380 in MIA, but never in FLL. .

Avgeek here too. MIA is a great spotters airport, some days we have three A380s from LH, BA and AF. Even get an Air France A320 daily. FLL has really picked up on international flights though with Emirates, Azul,Norwegian and British Airways.

To the OP MIA is 100% your best option. Its always the easier option when staying in Miami and going out of POM its a very quick taxi/uber ride to Miami Beach, Downtown Miami or the Port. FLL is a mess these days, and while MIA is a busier airport, its also has proper terminals for the amount of flights and rarely gets overcrowded. Lots of room to sit walk, shop etc..

MIA is an easy $27 (flat rate), 15 minute cab ride from POM. The only reason to fly in/out of FLL for a Miami cruise is the airfare savings. If ticket prices are comparable I would choose MIA in a heartbeat.

We have spent our share of time in Miami.....and actually prefer being in Ft Lauderdale pre-cruise....even when cruising out of POM. Our main reason is we prefer the 17th Street Hotels (especially Embassy Suites) over comparable priced Miami hotels that are also near shopping/restaurants. As to the transfers, the last time we used Uber X from the Lauderdale Embassy Suites to the POM...it cost us $33.....which is really not much more then a taxi between MIA and POM.

Hank

As most have said if the flights are the same price I would go with Miami airport as it is closer to your port.

I recommend flying in at least one day prior to the cruise.

Personally I prefer the Miami airport over Fort Lauderdale when returning from a cruise as the terminal we use at the airport has far better amenities and is very modern compared to Fort Lauderdale.

Keith

I have taken at least 20 cruises out of both ports and I prefer FLL. My reasons are usually the cost to fly from Dallas to Miami or Dallas to FLL, Miami is always at least $100 or more for the round trip flight. When I weigh that against the $45 round trip transfer fee that the cruise line charges I still come out ahead by $50. I find Miami is harder and busier to get around then FLL.

With all of that said, if your air is the same for both airports then I would fly in to Miami so you don't have to worry about making it to and from the cruise port to make your flight.

Candie

We too have taken many cruises out of both Ports. We always fly into & stay the night before at a Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. We fly from Detroit & the flights are much cheaper into FLL (we tend to cruise around Presidents' Day & Spring breaks BUT on a 2 week cruise :D). We also find hotels about $100 cheaper for that night around FLL. We then book MJS Transportation. They have several hotels in Ft. Lauderdale that they pick up at the morning of the cruise - it is all on their web-site - & they take you right to the Port of Miami. We book them round trip & they are waiting at the Port of Miami & take us right back to FLL. They are way cheaper than you would expect & the huge vans are very nice.

One word of caution - - if you arrive at the Port of Miami & you want to use the Cruise line's Luggage Valet - know the times they allow for your flight!! We cruise Celebrity & we love the Luggage Valet. To use their Luggage Valet and returning to the Port of Miami a flight out of MIA must be after 11:30 am & if flying out of FLL your flights must be after 1:30 pm

Depending on when your cruise is - check prices.

Thanks for the info. Sure it will help the OP and others out.

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the rules of participating on the Cruise Critic message boards. Rude, snarky posts are not permissible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How far is FLL to Miami? and about how much for a taxi or private shuttle? Any suggestions or private shuttles?

About 22 miles, travel time varies a lot depending on the day of week and time. It can be anywhere from 35-40mins to 90-100 mins. Uber is around $40.00, taxi would be $70+, shuttles usually are $15.00 per person.