Conflicting Prices for Drinks Package

I know, there must be a disclaimer somewhere on their site, but RCL has conflicting information on the prices of the drinks packages. If you are looking at the site and come across the Drinks Packages link, your will be directed to a PDF that lists the Ultimate Package at $55 per night. However, if you are booked and using the Cruise Planner, you are informed that the Ultimate Package is $65 per night.

Interesting ------ What is the definition of false advertising? Is this bait and switch?

I know, there must be a disclaimer somewhere on their site, but RCL has conflicting information on the prices of the drinks packages. If you are looking at the site and come across the Drinks Packages link, your will be directed to a PDF that lists the Ultimate Package at $55 per night. However, if you are booked and using the Cruise Planner, you are informed that the Ultimate Package is $65 per night.

Interesting ------ What is the definition of false advertising? Is this bait and switch?

The PDF does not include the 18% gratuity. My guess is the Cruise Planner does.

The Ultimate package should be 55.00 + 18% per night so 64.90 per night total.

I believe the cruise planner price includes the 18% gratuity, which makes it $64.90 per night.

The difference is that one price ($64.90) includes the 18% automatic gratuity and one price ($55) does not. WHY one ship advertise the package including the grats and one will advertise the package without the grats is way beyond me...but that's the explanation of why the difference prices appear. Makes no sense....

• Haha 1

Still a conflict.

In the FAQ page, it clearly states"

"Q: Are gratuities included in the all-inclusive beverage packages purchase price?

A: A service charge of 18% has already been included in the purchase price. You will not have to pay additional gratuities unless you desire to do so."

Here is the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5477

The PDF states, "Gratuity may be added or included in the published prices based on itinerary." INTERESTING that it may be added. Is that fair advertising? I think not. Here is that link:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Regardless, there is a conflict.

And if the $55 has the 18% added, and it comes to $64.90, then the line is now charging an extra 10 cents for -- what? I know it is only 70 cents more, but that is my money.

No matter how you look at it, RCL's website conflicts with what is in the cruise planner.

Still a conflict.

In the FAQ page, it clearly states"

"Q: Are gratuities included in the all-inclusive beverage packages purchase price?

A: A service charge of 18% has already been included in the purchase price. You will not have to pay additional gratuities unless you desire to do so."....

You have found one of the many places on Royal's website that are not up to date.

Also, I believe when the beverage package is actually charged, you will see that it is $64.90 per day.

Edited by clarea

No matter how you look at it, RCL's website conflicts with what is in the cruise planner.

So what's your point? :D Sorry, couldn't resist. The only thing consistent about their website is inconsistency. At this point, some of us are immune to it.

Thanks.

After calling corporate offices, they stated that the 18% is charged on ALL itineraries -- except European and Dubai. I mentioned that such an easy caveat could be added on the PDF page. I also mentioned to them that the FAQs page clearly indicates that the gratuity is already being included in the price. The person states she would make cooperate aware of this conflict.

Clearly, there is an issue with RCL being fair in its advertising. There are laws concerning this. While is may seem like an argument over $10 per day, it still makes me leery of other advertising gaffs on the part of RCL. An honest mistake is one thing.

Blatant disregard for misinformation on their website is not excusable.

Thanks.

After calling corporate offices, they stated that the 18% is charged on ALL itineraries -- except European and Dubai. I mentioned that such an easy caveat could be added on the PDF page. I also mentioned to them that the FAQs page clearly indicates that the gratuity is already being included in the price. The person states she would make cooperate aware of this conflict.

Clearly, there is an issue with RCL being fair in its advertising. There are laws concerning this. While is may seem like an argument over $10 per day, it still makes me leery of other advertising gaffs on the part of RCL. An honest mistake is one thing.

Blatant disregard for misinformation on their website is not excusable.

I'm confident there would be a mile long line of lawyers salivating at the chance to make those greedy corporate shysters pay for their deceptive trickery.

Thanks.

After calling corporate offices, they stated that the 18% is charged on ALL itineraries -- except European and Dubai.

I think this is almost but not quite correct. I was just told by RCI that on cruises originating outside the U.S., the $18 gratuity is *included* in the price quoted on your Cruise Planner, whereas on cruises originating in the U.S., it's not and instead is added on to the price shown.

Specifically as to the Ultimate Bev Package, I was told the price per day is $55, which will show as $65 on a cruise originating outside the U.S., and that will include the gratuity. For the cruise starting in the U.S., the 18% gratuity will be added to the $55/day price, getting you to the same place.

(The issue for me, which RCI is looking into, is that I'm on the Anthem TA originating in Europe, and my Cruise Planner not only shows $65/day, it ALSO wants to ADD an 18% gratuity on top of that!. RCI said this is wrong, and they're trying to figure out why their system is doing that, on their computers as well!)

I just looked at my cruise planner because I was trying to get a better idea about pricing for another thread and realized the same thing. For the packages with alcohol, they've included the 18% in the price they list, but the non-alcoholic packages are listed without the 18% included. This made me think the prices had changed for the alcohol packages, but I see now that they've just decided to be inconsistent with how they list the prices.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I just looked at my cruise planner because I was trying to get a better idea about pricing for another thread and realized the same thing. For the packages with alcohol, they've included the 18% in the price they list, but the non-alcoholic packages are listed without the 18% included. This made me think the prices had changed for the alcohol packages, but I see now that they've just decided to be inconsistent with how they list the prices.

The inconsistency is in part driven by law. In Australia it is illegal to list a price without including any taxes/charges/gratuity. I think it is the same in most of Europe. In the US it is accepted to lists price then add those fees at checkout

The inconsistency is in part driven by law. In Australia it is illegal to list a price without including any taxes/charges/gratuity. I think it is the same in most of Europe. In the US it is accepted to lists price then add those fees at checkout

Gotcha. They make it awfully confusing. If I look at the website without logging I to my cruise planner (US website) it has prices listed pre-gratuity. But if I login to my cruise planner (still US) it has the alcohol packages listed for a different price (because they've added the gratuity) but the soda package for example, still says $6.50/$4.50 and doesn't include the gratuity. So it makes it seem that the prices for the alcohol packages have increased, so I was adding another 18% into my calculation to estimate prices, making it so the alcohol and 32% tip and the soda had only 18%. Grrrr

Gotcha. They make it awfully confusing. If I look at the website without logging I to my cruise planner (US website) it has prices listed pre-gratuity. But if I login to my cruise planner (still US) it has the alcohol packages listed for a different price (because they've added the gratuity) but the soda package for example, still says $6.50/$4.50 and doesn't include the gratuity. So it makes it seem that the prices for the alcohol packages have increased, so I was adding another 18% into my calculation to estimate prices, making it so the alcohol and 32% tip and the soda had only 18%. Grrrr

You should also be aware that if you are sailing in Europe, and staying in EC waters that you will have 10% Spanish VAT added to your net package price