QM2 new deck 13 Britannia Club A2 staterooms

BlueRiband

Rumors about regarding QM2's 2016 refit. In checking a mock booking for July 1-6, 2016 (M609), it's already possible to book staterooms that have not yet been added. A mock booking for the Britannia Club A2 category shows stateroom numbers on deck 13!

While there has been no official word from Cunard, that's the strongest indication that there is substance to the deck 13 rumors. I'm not surprised that deck 13 is Britannia Club as it is high popular regardless of the sailing. Looks like deck 12 will be A1 and deck 13 A2.

I'm not sure how many deck 13 staterooms there will be because I was only seeing numbers up to 13010.

(Now watch the pricing for this voyage shoot up when the algorithm detects a spike in hits! :D)

Edited by BlueRiband

Wow! I'm having a hard time imagining where the staterooms might be on Deck 13, where there currently are zero staterooms, and not much else!
I wouldn't want to see these new cabins added, but then no-one is likely to listen to my opinion! (least of all, bean-counters).

They can be added relatively easily (as with QE2, add a prefabricated block on top).

Sweep away the two sports courts either side of the A lifts and stairs (put them behind the turbine machinery room on deck 12? Bit of a squeeze when the Boardwalk Cafe is open of course, but not impossible).

Get rid of the almost-never-open Regatta Bar, and the 1 inch deep "Splash Pool".

Add an extra level of balcony cabins on Deck 13 (there is already lift access of course via the A lifts). They would have to be built around the lift machinery room (lift for crew only) (and existing toilet block) just aft of the current splash pool.

And the very-popular-at-sailaway high platform (also above a lift machinery room, in this case the B lifts), just forward of the glass roof of the Pavilion Pool, would vanish within the new cabin deck.

On top of this new block of cabins there would be a new Deck 14, very exposed and windswept of course as it wouldn't be tucked down below the Lookout and central deckhouse (between the current sports courts, immediately forward of the Regatta Bar) that is there at the moment.

If the new cabin block wasn't carried all the way back as far as the existing steps down from Deck 13 to Deck 12, then there would be room aft of the new block for a somewhat sheltered "Britannia Club Only" open deck space (ala the Grills Only area on Deck 11).

Convert the aft starboard side of the main Britannia Restaurant to match the existing port side room for the new Britannia Club passengers on Deck 13, and there you go.

Extra revenue and the exterior lines of QM2 ruined for all time.

Just my thoughts, and prob. not at all what will emerge on 21st of June next year.

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Rumors about regarding QM2's 2016 refit. In checking a mock booking for July 1-6, 2016 (M609), it's already possible to book staterooms that have not yet been added. A mock booking for the Britannia Club A2 category shows stateroom numbers on deck 13!

While there has been no official word from Cunard, that's the strongest indication that there is substance to the deck 13 rumors. I'm not surprised that deck 13 is Britannia Club as it is high popular regardless of the sailing. Looks like deck 12 will be A1 and deck 13 A2.

I'm not sure how many deck 13 staterooms there will be because I was only seeing numbers up to 13010.

(Now watch the pricing for this voyage shoot up when the algorithm detects a spike in hits! :D)

Cunard site says A2 will be decks 12 and 13. On the UK site cabins 13001-08 are available at a price of £2,349 ($3,626)pp for the 5 nights. That's £470 ($725)pppn! :eek:

Edit just to add that these cabins are all classed as forward.

Edited by Ray66

Most cruise ships do not have a deck 13 - unlucky for some 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There's a competing web site where a fan-made graphic shows the profile of QM2 with 34 deck 13 staterooms and two more versions showing up to about 65 or so. That person - who is only a fan of the ship - placed them all forward.

I used the US Cunard site and didn't see a number above 13010 but professional TAs would have access to POLAR and thus see more. (Of course there is somebody on board right now who would know exactly what is the making but he wouldn't be at liberty to discuss it.)

Edited by BlueRiband

BlueRiband, thank you for this information. We're thinking of a rather special cruise in 2016, but before selecting accomodations, I have been waiting for Cunard to update the deck plans for QM2 (currently the plans on the US website are only valid only through 3 January 2016).

My guess is there will be one set of deck plans valid from 4 January up to the refit, and then another set after the refit. Clearly, Cunard must have that information available now. Wouldn't it be in the best interest of all concerned for Cunard to publish ASAP deck plans for voyages after 3 January 2016? There's going to be tears before bedtime, as my mom would say.:eek: -S.

As Stephen Payne is with us on the Mary I asked him. He just smiled and said he assumed it would be forward but nobody has asked him what he thinks

That's the only answer anybody will get. He won't be free to confirm or deny anything until Cunard is ready to make a public announcement.

Let's for a moment presume he doesn't like any of the changes to the ship. He's got two choices. One, work with Cunard to make the changes as functionally and aesthetically pleasing as possible. Or two, refuse to have anything to do with it and Cunard consults with another naval architect.

Edited by BlueRiband

As Stephen Payne is with us on the Mary I asked him. He just smiled and said he assumed it would be forward but nobody has asked him what he thinks

Thanks Sikwemu, that's interesting. It strikes me as unfortunate that CCL didn't avail themselves of Mr. Payne's expertise in advance of the planning stages. Since QM2's dry dock is about 10 months away, I imagine the re-fit plans must be pretty far along at this point. :( -Salacia

Thanks Sikwemu, that's interesting. It strikes me as unfortunate that CCL didn't avail themselves of Mr. Payne's expertise in advance of the planning stages. Since QM2's dry dock is about 10 months away, I imagine the re-fit plans must be pretty far along at this point. :( -Salacia

I have the opposite impression, namely that Payne has been involved all along but must maintain client confidentiality.

He's no longer directly employed by Carnival but has his own consultancy practice, PFJ Maritime. It's very common in engineering and technical fields to hire a retired employee as a temporary contractor for specific projects. He's also on board 2-3 times per year. And according to his publisher he lives in the Hampshire area which is not far from the Southampton docks.

Given the frequency that he's been on board a Cunard ship as a speaker there is no indication that he has anything other than a good relationship with his past employer. If Cunard has a high publicity event - 175th, 200th crossing, QM2's 10th birthday, Prince Philip touring the ship - they bring him in.

Can't imagine him just standing by and watching while another architect makes changes to "his baby".

This opinion is based solely on my observations and not on any inside knowledge so others may have reason to disagree.

Edited by BlueRiband

If they are increasing the number of A1 and A2 cabins at next year's refit, presumably they will have to extend the Club Balcony dining room within the Britannia restaurant or if that is not feasible move it elsewhere on the ship. Extending it in the Britannia restaurant might make that restaurant a bit squashed!

Another thread is suggesting that the 2016 QM2 refit has been put back to Oct/Nov, from May, could this mean that they have not yet finalised the plans for the new staterooms and so need more time?

I thought that an April/May drydocking was an odd time as she underwent her last refit in November 2011. You could be right or it could be the availability scheduling of the drydock. She's a "plus size woman" without many options! :D

The deck 13 cabins for July 2016 have not yet been taken out of the US booking engine. In a mock booking I used the manual cabin selection for "13020" and it took it. I might go in later with a higher number to see how many will be up there.

Edited by BlueRiband

Cunard site says A2 will be decks 12 and 13. On the UK site cabins 13001-08 are available at a price of £2,349 ($3,626)pp for the 5 nights. That's £470 ($725)pppn! :eek:

Edit just to add that these cabins are all classed as forward.

That would be grills prices. Never seen a 13'th deck on a ship.

No, it's the Britannia Club rooms mentioned on the first post on this thread. But the prices do include flights.

Keith, ms Veendam has a deck 13...a not very attractive area that resulted from a redesign in 2009 that added two decks of cabins to the rear of the ship, necessitating the changes to the rear pool area called Deck 13/Sky Deck -S.

Edited by Salacia

Late May-Early June 2016 QM2 (dry dock dates) still showing no sailings if dry dock is to be postponed again ?

It looks like these schedule changes came out just before the weekend but the booking site has not yet been updated. They have removed QM2 voyages between October 18 - November 19, 2016. They have not yet filled in any QM2 voyages for May 27-June 21, 2016.

They'll also have to remove the new A2 deck 13 staterooms as they won't yet exist.

Friends of me, who are doing the 175th year crossing told me today that they just booked stateroom 13039 for the crossing M610 from July 6th to July 15th. They told me, that they got confirmed the room and also paid the deposit.

I told them to go to the future cruise office tomorrow to ask for new information.

Edited by fg_hb

Friends of me, who are doing the 175th year crossing told me today that they just booked stateroom 13039 for the crossing M610 from July 6th to July 15th. They told me, that they got confirmed the room and also paid the deposit.

I told them to go to the future cruise office tomorrow to ask for new information.

Thanks, so that indicates there will be at least 40 new deck 13 staterooms.

Yes, the should go so the office and change this while there is still plenty of availability.

I've tried some internet sleuthing but no luck in finding any post-refit deck plans. They certainly have to exist if deck 13 is already being booked.