Uber/ Taxi or Other transport to Port Everglades.

EmilyJay

Hey,

Is there much of a price difference between Taxi/ Uber/ Lyft when getting to Port Everglades?

Last year we used a taxi and it added up once we got stuck in some traffic and the driver tried to skip a queue only to get sent to the back of the queue by the officers in port. (However he turned the rate machine off after this!)

I've never used Uber and have heard Lyft is another alternative in the area. Any advice will be appreciated. We'll be staying at the Sonesta for a few nights prior to cruising which is a 15 minute drive away from port and there will be 2 passengers, with a suitcase each. I did a quick look online and Lyft came up with <$10 for the journey which I thought was an amazing rate?! Our taxi last year was around the $20 mark and that was a hotel approx 8 minutes away from port.

Our last two cruises out of Port Everglades (last one this past May on Harmony) we used uber and we would never use them again....for some reason, their GPS devices are not updated to the port/pier....we found both drivers making mistakes turning around going back, etc.....we will only take a regular cab from now on there.

Is there a car service that's as cheap as a taxi? We need to get from the Orlando airport to our hotel in Port Canaveral in Oct.

Our experience with a private car service for that route was about the same price as a taxi. However, a shared shuttle (Cortrans) runs $20 per person.

Uber and Lyft both use dynamic pricing. So the price will go up if more people are requesting rides. The good news is you can see the total price before you request the car. Put in your locations and the app will show you the price and how long it will take a car to get to you. Also if you have never used Uber before, you get your first ride free. I'm not sure about Lyft.

Hey,

Is there much of a price difference between Taxi/ Uber/ Lyft when getting to Port Everglades?

Last year we used a taxi and it added up once we got stuck in some traffic and the driver tried to skip a queue only to get sent to the back of the queue by the officers in port. (However he turned the rate machine off after this!)

I've never used Uber and have heard Lyft is another alternative in the area. Any advice will be appreciated. We'll be staying at the Sonesta for a few nights prior to cruising which is a 15 minute drive away from port and there will be 2 passengers, with a suitcase each. I did a quick look online and Lyft came up with <$10 for the journey which I thought was an amazing rate?! Our taxi last year was around the $20 mark and that was a hotel approx 8 minutes away from port.

Since it is so close there is not much difference in price. Does your hotel offer a shuttle? With a top cost of 20 there is really not much room for any big discount. Where you get the real savings is like from Hobby to Galveston or Orlando to Port Canaveral.

Since it is so close there is not much difference in price. Does your hotel offer a shuttle? With a top cost of 20 there is really not much room for any big discount. Where you get the real savings is like from Hobby to Galveston or Orlando to Port Canaveral.

Shuttles have merit but they typically stop at every cruise Terminal and often for RC in PE you end up taking 15-20 minutes sitting at the Princess terminal for an off load, and sheer traffic volume.

We have taken to using Uber to get to the port as the driver is there just for you, and only you. In the past we have called for a taxi we have still had to wait in line behind those that were ahead of us even though they didn't call. Taxi drivers don't really care who gets in, they just want their fare.

We used to live close to FLL and the Port and have used LYFT many times, and would not hesitate to use them again.

The port is very close to the airport, so cost should not be different between either Lyft, Uber, or a cab actually.

The real difference, at least in Broward County, is the condition off the cabs, and attitude of the drivers.

The cabs are ill maintained and if you plan on using a credit card for your fare prepare for an argument as you will not doubt be told the credit card machine is "down".

Used Lyft a few times to Port Everglades from a nearby hotel. Cost me about $8 and I give them a decent cash tip. I even asked one driver once if she wouldn't mind a stop at the nearby Dunkin Donuts for coffee on the way to the port, wasn't a problem and she waited while I ran in for my wife and I. Was about $10 for that one from the Embassy Suites near the port...she got a good tip

Thanks everyone!

Our hotel does not offer a shuttle, so will have to use Taxi/ Uber/ Lyft. After reading everyone's replies it seems there isn't a huge amount in it, but we might try Uber or Lyft just so we can pay with card and then do a decent cash tip.

@BluePilot Like your style of a DD stop.

Thanks everyone!

Our hotel does not offer a shuttle, so will have to use Taxi/ Uber/ Lyft. After reading everyone's replies it seems there isn't a huge amount in it, but we might try Uber or Lyft just so we can pay with card and then do a decent cash tip.

@BluePilot Like your style of a DD stop.

If you stop for a coffee ask the driver if they want one. Sometimes the answer is yes, other times no.

In the taxi line?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nope...every time they picked me up they pulled up right in front of the terminal. Same spot everyone else is loading and unloading bags from their cars. It's usually pandemonium right there so make sure you note what kind of car they're driving and keep an eye out.....they usually stay away from taxis because the drivers I've seen are sometimes hostile to them.

Nope...every time they picked me up they pulled up right in front of the terminal. Same spot everyone else is loading and unloading bags from their cars. It's usually pandemonium right there so make sure you note what kind of car they're driving and keep an eye out.....they usually stay away from taxis because the drivers I've seen are sometimes hostile to them.
Thank you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Uber has an official price estimator on their website: https://www.uber.com/fare-estimate/

In addition, if you use Google Maps on your phone and put in directions (doesn't work on a PC sadly) one of the transport options (drive, walk, public transit, etc) shows Uber/Lyft prices.

People generally say Uber/Lyft have cleaner cars, which I'd agree. The drivers own their own cars, they aren't using a company vehicle.

Not much difference between Uber & Lyft. Many of the drivers actually work for both.

Savings is usually seen for longer trips. For SeaTac to Pier 91 in Seattle Uber is ~$45 while a taxi ranges from $56-89 depending on traffic. Then there are tips, Taxis expect 20%. I'm not sure what Uber/Lyft drivers expect (I've seen $1-$5 but also people saying the same 20% a taxi would expect).

The first ride free with Uber is limited to $15 or less.