Do you buy ncl travel insurance?

vols_159

I work for an airline and 2 couples missed their flight due to weather. They came from an international flight and circled for an hour before they pulled up to the gate. Once they came thru customs they ran to the gate. Of course the flight attendants told them the flight would wait for them.

It was the last flight of the night and the flights were oversold for the next morning, being it was July 4th weekend. They were calling their travel insurance agency for help. They got no help.

They were on standby for the morning and confirmed for an afternoon flight, where they would surely miss the ship. One lady was in tears fearing she would miss her cruise.

Since we had no availabity, they got on their phones and found 4 confirmed seats with another airline. They paid a very large price for those seats and it was out of their pocket. I guess their insurance will reinburse them.

But my point is, It seems like if something happens, you are paying out of pocket first and will be reinbursed later on. Most people do not have extra hundreds of dollars to put out.:eek:

Its a personal choice and I have never purchased travel insurance and never will.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

• 4 years later...

well the ncl travel protection denied my claim yesterday my wife was put in hospital they denied for a pre existing illness which is bull,but the airlines refunded my money.the one through ncl is a joke i have heard before where they deny.

well the ncl travel protection denied my claim yesterday my wife was put in hospital they denied for a pre existing illness which is bull,but the airlines refunded my money.the one through ncl is a joke i have heard before where they deny.

I am sorry your wife was in the hospital. Really.

But, it is not right to slam someone when they met their part of the deal. Here is a quote from the NCL travel protection plan. You were fortunate the airlines refunded your money - maybe you bought there insurance and it was covered?

The benefits provided in this program are subject tocertain restrictions and exclusions including the PreExistingCondition Exclusion on Page 6

As GaryCarla pointed out, the "pre-existing condition" limitation is listed, including what constitutes a "pre-existing condition".

For the future, you may want to ask questions at the CC Travel Insurance sub-forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

before deciding upon what type of insurance to purchase.

Pre-existing conditions can EASILY be covered without any surcharge in many policies, as long as one purchases within the specified time (usually 10-20 days after first payment; but there are policies who allow that within 24 hours of final payment, defined narrowly of course).

Or check with an insurance broker such as Steve at

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

who can discuss a variety of coverages you might be interested in, with the pros and cons.

Hope she is feeling better!

From the UK so may be different here but an annual travel policy with everything - (all medication, every hospital visit) declared is a must as far as we are concerned. Also check if sports are included if you want to do that, how many days are you allowed out the country (31 per trip in our case) and max cost of a single trip covered. I think of it like home insurance you never ever want to make a claim but if you have to it is so worth it. Yes you could say if you have paid for the trip you can afford to cancel it but you may not be able to afford an emergency medical evacuation, please read the small print of the insurance. It is super boring but I print it out and give it to DH to read - it is his contribution to holiday planning. Ours says if you are under the influence and fall of a balcony you are not covered - so we book OV - LOL

From the UK so may be different here ...

Yes, rules over there are different when it comes to travel. I am not sure, but I believe some countries require insurance for travel. And, the airlines generally are way more responsible and on the hook when flights get delayed or canceled vs in the states.

I am not sure if they even offer it in the UK but from my research I have found cruise line's own insurance isn;t great from long term health conditions and my hubby is a diabetic.

We always buy insurance (even with our European health insurance card as it doesn't always cover you) for our cruises and find the peice of mind is worth price. We always go with independent companies.

Bearing in mind hubby is T1 diabetic with some eye surgery and I haven't declared anything we have paid as little as £16 for a 7 day European cruise for both of us and as much as £60 for our 16 day US trip and Panama Canal cruise that included risky sports pursuits.

I booked a cruise today the pcc didnt ask and i didnt decline or accept but see they had travel insurance normally i decline when asked.. But Im thinking about leaving it on.. It was only $89 But for those of you who have bought travel insurance Is NCL a good policy for the price?

IMO the NCL policy does not have enough coverage for medical or for medical evacuation. It also does not include airfare. So I always insure from a third party company.

Long story, but I am missing the point. There are certainly reasons some people do not buy insurance. Why did you say you would never buy insurance? If you are talking about the getting money LATER and people can not afford it, I get that point. But, what would they do if they did not have insurance? Same thing I suppose.

What your story points out is why it is important to travel with credit cards - which many people do not.

I work for an airline and 2 couples missed their flight due to weather. They came from an international flight and circled for an hour before they pulled up to the gate. Once they came thru customs they ran to the gate. Of course the flight attendants told them the flight would wait for them.

It was the last flight of the night and the flights were oversold for the next morning, being it was July 4th weekend. They were calling their travel insurance agency for help. They got no help.

They were on standby for the morning and confirmed for an afternoon flight, where they would surely miss the ship. One lady was in tears fearing she would miss her cruise.

Since we had no availabity, they got on their phones and found 4 confirmed seats with another airline. They paid a very large price for those seats and it was out of their pocket. I guess their insurance will reinburse them.

But my point is, It seems like if something happens, you are paying out of pocket first and will be reinbursed later on. Most people do not have extra hundreds of dollars to put out.:eek:

Its a personal choice and I have never purchased travel insurance and never will.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Wife and I just purchased Travelguard for an upcoming October cruise. In addition to some of the advantages that the others above have stated regarding insurance, I look specifically if the insurance pays medical claims as primary ahead of any other insurance that you have. It may be naive on my part but if something happens on the ship, that Travelguard would be more familiar with the facilities and have seen claims from ships on a more frequent basis than my personal insurance carrier from work. My thinking is that it will make the claim, somewhat easier to process(?).

1st, very sorry, hope wife feels better.

you can and should appeal the decision-last year my gf sister and BIL had to cancel as he had some health issues, initially denied as pre existing, doctor wrote an appeal that when trip was booked he would have been ok to travel, health situation got worse. (they got the insurance through travel agent) they ended up getting refund

GF and I also had to cancel same trip because my Father was seriously ill, and ended up passing no problem getting full refund(we had NCL's Insurance written by AIG)

if you purchased through NCL at time of booking and the insurance company denies claim, NCL should be giving you 75% of the fare as a credit for future cruise

free insurance? i have a ncl credit card? what do you mean

most major credit cards have travel and other insurances provided automatically:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/offers-promotions/card-benefits.html

check the booklet you received with your card-if you no longer have it you can request another one on B of A's website

most major credit cards have travel and other insurances provided automatically:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/offers-promotions/card-benefits.html

check the booklet you received with your card-if you no longer have it you can request another one on B of A's website

BUT - always a damn BUT... make sure you understand what they cover and what they DO NOT cover. Folks assume every policy covers everything. Most do not.

IMO the NCL policy does not have enough coverage for medical or for medical evacuation. It also does not include airfare. So I always insure from a third party company.

This is soooooo true! NCL Escape Christmas cruise last December, medical emergency that required treatment on the ship and emergency surgery in St. Thomas. I had NCL trip insurance but what I missed is that it is secondary for medical issues. Meaning it is worthless while experiencing the issue; you pay cash, and potentially a boat load of it! Then, once you settle with your insurance company you can "try" to claim out of pocket expenses. Had the DH and myself counting up available credit on the couple of cards we actually brought with us. One was high limit without balance so could cover the costs. Should have been med-vaced off the ship but was not. Can't help but wonder if having to pay cash for service when rendered lead to a poor medical decision, putting my life at risk. Will never leave the US without primary travel insurance again!! I had a false sense of security with NCL coverage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I booked a cruise today the pcc didnt ask and i didnt decline or accept but see they had travel insurance normally i decline when asked.. But Im thinking about leaving it on.. It was only $89 But for those of you who have bought travel insurance Is NCL a good policy for the price?

I always buy NCL insurance and I was very happy I had it the one time I had to use it. My DH was unable to travel just before our trip. We got a note from the Dr. and received all our fare minus the cost of the insurance in a timely manner.

With or without insurance, there are going to be times when you have to pay for stuff. The damned cheapest insurance for some of this stuff is to carry multiple credit cards. It is beyond me why people travel without them.

• 2 years later...
On 7/19/2012 at 11:49 PM, tokidoki said:

I use my NCL mastercard for the total payment and the trip cancellation/interuption, etc. is covered!;);)

Do use of NCL MasterCard for total payment cover lost luggage on the ship???

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2012 at 11:23 PM, cruzsnooze said:

We cruise 3-4 times a year all over the world and never bought travel insurance. Loosing the cost of a trip or replacing a suitcase is minor compared to the tens of thousands of dollars we didn't waste. HOWEVER the really big money comes if you need medical evacuation, $100,000 isn't unheard of. That's worth insurance and we get an annual policy for $300 for two of us. It also covers us anywhere in the USA if we're more then 100 miles from home. There are multiple companies that offer this type of insurance, we use medjet. Once DH was robbed of his necklace in Buenos Aries and we submitted a claim on our homeowners insurance who paid the balance over our deductable. So I never take other insurance.

thanks for this information - I had never heard of medjet - we are looking into it now - seems to meet the need we are going to have.

52 minutes ago, Imalismom said:

thanks for this information - I had never heard of medjet - we are looking into it now - seems to meet the need we are going to have.

1 hour ago, Ozzieru1e said:

Do use of NCL MasterCard for total payment cover lost luggage on the ship???

Note that you both have replied to posts from 2012, so the information could be very out of date.  (I have no idea if it is, but I mention this so you can note the dates in the future and try to deal with more up-to-date posts/information.

Also, there is a section of CruiseCritic that is specific to Travel Insurance:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

You might want to browse there, and also post your questions there.

GC

INSURANCE DEFINITELY A small price to pay for a major disaster that could cost much more in the end

NCL's medical/emergency coverage is too small for an outrageous price

I'm curious about the credit card insurance which I'll have to look into for the next trip

Generali NCL Standard NCL Platinum
Price for 2 people (16 days abroad + flight)  $   240  $  318  $   438

Trip Cancellation any reason 0 75% future credit 90% future credit
Trip Cancellation standard reasons 100% of Trip Cost 100% of Trip Cost 100% of Trip Cost
Trip Interruption 125% of Trip Cost    
Travel Delay $1,000 Up to $500 Up to $500

Baggage (loss) $1,000 Up to $1,500 Up to $1,500
Baggage Delay $200 Up to $750 Up to $750
Missed Connection $500    
Medical & Dental $50,000 Up to $10,000 each Up to $20,000 each
Emergency Assistance & Transportation $250,000 Up to $25,000  $            50,000
($10,000 Limit Applies For Companion Hospitality Expenses)      
Accidental Death & Dismemberment- Air Flight Accident $50,000 Up to $5,000 Up to $5,000
Coverage provides for shipment of remains in the event of death during the trip $100,000 (Per Plan)    

17 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Note that you both have replied to posts from 2012, so the information could be very out of date.  (I have no idea if it is, but I mention this so you can note the dates in the future and try to deal with more up-to-date posts/information.

Also, there is a section of CruiseCritic that is specific to Travel Insurance:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

You might want to browse there, and also post your questions there.

GC

Thanks - I  did note it was a post from long ago, but I went directly to the website of the product that was mentioned.  The cost has gone up form what they mentioned, but still within the reasonable aspects for us.  I took a chance that the poster still read CC, so that I could thank them - and than you for the new link.

We have been buying the insurance since 3rd cruise.now have 24 cruises behind us. I will say now that we are in early 70’s it is definitely cheaper thru NCL rather than anything on insuremytrip. Last cruise we had expensive hotel and flight that was not booked thru NCL so i got outside insurance. NCL doesn’t cover that if you booked that stuff. When we took grandkids outside insurance was a bargain because the were usually free. 

Only had to use our insurance once and was with NCL. Once we sent in the proof our regular insurance denied the claim, they paid in a flash.

Get the insurance somewhere. Had a trip planned(not a cruise). Six weeks before the departure date here comes the chest pains, never had them before. 8 days in the hospital with a triple heart bypass, no trip for me. insurance refunded the total cost. over 8 grand. would have lost it all with out insurance....