economy comfort worth the price?

gazzagirl

Hi hope someone can help. We are looking at flights to nice, france then from rome to o'hare. We wanted to fly first class but I can see that won't happen almost 7,000 a ticket! Premium economy is almost 1800 a ticket my question is do you think it is worth it? economy is 1200 a ticket. The flight would be air france then delta coming home. Just wondering if the perks are worth that much, or are the seats better on those airlines over seas? I'v been reading the forums and learning alot as this will be our first cruise so from what I gather I should stay away from choice air? I have a 1000 credit but don't have to book through them as the reviews don't sound good. Any help would be appreciated.

We just recently flew from New York to Barcelona on Delta. We upgraded to Economy Comfort and were very happy that we did. The extra 4" of space made the 7 hour flight much more comfortable. We also got an A/C power outlet as part of the deal. However, our cost was $79 per person to upgrade. If I read your post correctly, your cost to upgrade would be $600 per person. If so, that would be way too expensive for me to pay.

We just recently flew from New York to Barcelona on Delta. We upgraded to Economy Comfort and were very happy that we did. The extra 4" of space made the 7 hour flight much more comfortable. We also got an A/C power outlet as part of the deal. However, our cost was $79 per person to upgrade. If I read your post correctly, your cost to upgrade would be $600 per person. If so, that would be way too expensive for me to pay.

I believe OP's TATL is on AF, and to upgrade to premium E would be $600 for that flight.

OP, that much money is not worth it to me, especially if I have to purchase more than one ticket. It's very nice, but I'd rather spend the money on other things.

I always pay extra for Economy Plus on United on my international flights. In my opinion it goes a long way in making the flight more pleasant. The extra legroom really makes a difference. Case in point , on my last TATL flight , I was on Lufthansa in regular economy. I am of normal weight and size and was sitting next to 2 of my kids ( who are also small sized). To get out of the seats was almost impossible without literally climbing over them and when the people in front were reclining , it was crazy.

If I can't fly business class , I always choose the Economy "Extra" seats . The price , in my book , is totally worth it.

Yes, but E+ on UA isn't premium economy and OP is asking about Premium Economy on AF.

Yep, two different things. Premium Economy on AF is a different class and cabin. Economy Comfort on DL is just a different seat with a little more legroom at the front of the Economy cabin.

I would pay the difference for BOTH!! PE is definitely a step up (only 3 separate rows, wider shell seats, better meals), and you get priority boarding. There are usually less seats in the middle row than back in Economy.

The EC seat on DL was worth it to have just that little bit more legroom and the tiny extra recline on the overnight flights!

If it were my own dime, on a relatively short flight to Europe (7 hours is somewhat long, yes, but it's not 16 like Asia or Australia), I would most likely pay for Economy Plus, but not Premium Economy. That's if my budget were in any way limited (and by limited, I just mean that I'm not rolling in the money). Extra legroom is nice for $79 (let's say $160 r/t) or so, but I would much rather have the $600 dollars in my pocket that Premium Economy would cost.

I figure that, if I have that $600 to spend, I would personally gain more and longer lasting memories out of an adventure or experience or, heck, even some fantastic amazing meal than I would out of 16 hours on a plane (roundtrip to Europe). Those 16 hours still are not going to be great even in Premium Economy...it's still not fun. However, a $600 1-2 day add-on adventure to my trip would certainly be fun, enjoyable and memorable.

Just my thoughts. Sorry that I babbled.

Quick post on semantics.

The OP titled the post "Economy Comfort". Then, he brought into the mix both AF and DL. So let's work on the language so we are on the same page.

"Premium Economy", in both the general and AF cases, is a separate product and class of service different from standard "Economy". It is characterized by a different seat, higher meal and beverage offerings and higher service levels.

"Economy Comfort (DL)" "Economy Plus (UA)" and "Main Cabin Extra (AA)" are subsets of standard economy class. These offerings utilize the same seats as economy but with some added pitch and recline. Depending on the airline, you may receive priority boarding, additional beverage choices or other minor perks.

One thing to remember -- "Premium Economy" is NOT in any way the same as, or even comparable to, the "Economy Comfort" et al type of product.

To add to the mess, AF offers an ala carte option of a few seats with more legroom called "Seat Plus". But that is still "Economy", not Premium.

To the OP: It looks as though you are talking about Premium Economy on the AF metal flights, with Economy Comfort on the DL flights. Is this correct? If so, I highly recommend you read THIS PAGE and similar ones on the AF website so you know just what you would get for your "PE" ticket. And note that there is a difference between what you would get TATL and within Europe.

Some say that PE is "Business Lite" -- others that it is "Business VERY Lite". In any case, it's a niche between economy and business that some find appealing by splitting the babies of cost and product.

Of course, only you can place a value on these differences.

Wow thank you everybody sounds like I better do my homework! I will check with the airline websites and see what we get with economy comfort. I was just looking at choice air and it says premium economy, I did not know there was a difference. We fly alot just never over to Europe usually Jamaica and in the U.S so this is new to me.

I realize that I left out the link to the AF website which describes their Premium Economy product.

CLICK HERE

And to the OP....fire away with your questions. And note that in the airline biz, words do matter. Big differences for what many might use interchangeably outside the travel world.

Ok I checked out air france and there premium economy seats look really nice and I think they are worth the splurge. There is a big difference from each airline I see. Thank you for all the help that could have been a costly mistake.

I have one more question, I'm pretty set on air france premium economy for the two of us now do I use choice air or not? We have a 1000 dollar air credit but I usually never book through a third party I usually book all my flights through the airline direct that way I have controll if they change the plane and our seats, flights ect... Like I said this is new to me the choice air so what do you all think? We are leaving 4 days before our cruise and staying 4 days after. Want to enjoy nice and rome.. Thank you again.

We have flown AF PE four times and will do so again in June. Because we are both tall (DH is 6' 4'), we really appreciate the extra leg room as well as the separate, quieter cabin. It's worth the extra cost to us.

You mentioned flying DL back from Rome. As others have explained, DL "Economy Comfort" is nothing like the AF product. If you've decided you want to fly AF PE, you should book it for your return flight as well, unless the DL flight is actually a code share with AF and you're flying on AF metal.

There is lots of information on using Choice Air in this forum. I suggest doing a search and reading the various threads before you make your decision. We always book our own air as I would never give up the control to a third party.

Thanks that's what I thought. I am going to book the whole flight on air france premium economy and on my own. I talked to my husband and he agrees we don't want to leave our flight in a third party's hand just not worth it. Is one hour enought time for a connections in paris both ways? Traveling to nice one way and then from rome on the return? Thanks for all your help.

I think it depends on the aircraft and/or the airline, too. We flew regular economy on an AIrbus 380 and it was more comfortable than premium economy on a 7 "something" 7. The Air bus was a foreign carrier, the 7X7 was a domestic carrier.

I think it depends on the aircraft and/or the airline, too. We flew regular economy on an AIrbus 380 and it was more comfortable than premium economy on a 7 "something" 7. The Air bus was a foreign carrier, the 7X7 was a domestic carrier.
Non-sequitor alert!

There is no "Premium Economy" being offered by a USA carrier for international flights. So your 7x7 couldn't have been as you say.

Just what were the airlines and the classes involved? Because your scenario doesn't happen.

Is one hour enought time for a connections in paris both ways? Traveling to nice one way and then from rome on the return? Thanks for all your help.

I would not want to have only 1 hour to change at CDG - at least 2 hours would be my minimum.

Non-sequitor alert!

There is no "Premium Economy" being offered by a USA carrier for international flights. So your 7x7 couldn't have been as you say.

Just what were the airlines and the classes involved? Because your scenario doesn't happen.

Ah...but it was. The Airbus380 was Korean Air to Seoul and the 7X7 was American to Paris. And maybe it was "Comfort Class" or some such other name other than"Premium Economy" But what ever it was called, it was NOT business, nor was it that prciy, but it was more $$$ than "regular " coach.

Ah...but it was. The Airbus380 was Korean Air to Seoul and the 7X7 was American to Paris. And maybe it was "Comfort Class" or some such other name other than"Premium Economy" But what ever it was called, it was NOT business, nor was it that prciy, but it was more $$$ than "regular " coach.

Which is EXACTLY the problem. What AA provides is "Main Cabin Extra", which is NOT a Premium Economy product. No matter what YOU want to call it, that term means something specific in the airline industry. And in any specific discussion about air travel.

You see, you introduced that problem when you earlier wrote:

it was more comfortable than premium economy on a 7 "something" 7
You were comparing one kind of economy seating (KE A380) vs another economy seating (AA MCE). You never flew Premium Economy.

Now, if we want to say "KE's A380 was more comfortable than AA's MCE", that would jive with your experience. But saying the A380 was better than Premium Economy has no basis in experience. Or existence.

Sidebar analogy: It is very possible to have a "direct flight" that involves not just stops, but even changes of aircraft. A far cry from "non-stop". The specific words matter. Just as "connection" and "stopover" have different meanings. MCE is not equal to Premium Economy. Nor are EC or E+ equal to PE.

Finally, if some think that this is all extraneous nonsense, the truth is that it will mean a lot if one buys either MCE/EC/E+ and thinks they are getting PE. Or if they want to buy a PE product, but end up with MCE et al instead.

Yep, two different things. Premium Economy on AF is a different class and cabin. Economy Comfort on DL is just a different seat with a little more legroom at the front of the Economy cabin.

The EC seat on DL was worth it to have just that little bit more legroom and the tiny extra recline on the overnight flights!

Correct. Economy Comfort on DL gets you 3-4" of extra leg room (seat pitch), as well as a bit more recline. You also get free liquor, whereas regular economy on a transatlantic on DL gets you free beer and wine only. I think it gets you zone 1 boarding as well but I'm not positive. (Bearing in mind that zone 1 is actually the 4th boarding group on DL.)

ok Thanks I will book a flight with a longer connection in paris.

Wise choice. I would never book a 1 hour connect at CDG. We connected there a year or two ago and while I don't recall the exact connect time, I recall that it was something between 1-2 hours and it was very tight.... had to be bussed from plane to terminal, 1st bus filled up, wait for 2nd bus, wait for it to fill up, go through passport check, security, restroom stop, and so forth. We had time to get a snack but had to wolf our food down. And this was with flight arriving on time, and lines not excessively long.

Wise choice. I would never book a 1 hour connect at CDG.

I agree. I missed a flight back home once because I only had a one hour connection. I actually saw them closing the door as I ran down the hallway screaming "wait!!!" Next flight was a 7 hour wait, and I was desperate to see my babies! They were in bed when I got home and I had to wait till morning. Never again.

Ok the flight I'm looking at leaves O'hare on air france premium economy to paris with a 1 hour 15 minutes connection. Then onto Nice, france. Coming home is Air France leaving Rome at 10:20 am and having a one hour connection in paris. There is not alot of other options other than flying from O'hare at noon going to JFK, then flying to paris with a two hour connection then onto nice. What do you all think? I mean why on earth would they schedule these flights so crazy. Oh and the JFK flight has a 3 hour layover. So we would leave O'hare at noon and get to nice at 11 am.