10 Ways to Fit in on Your First Luxury Cruise

LauraS

We are usually mass market cheapie cruisers but when I won a Regent cruise we had no trouble fitting in since smiles and friendliness are welcome everywhere. We also did more listening than talking. That endeared us to others and we learned lots.

Wow. What a juvenile article. Did we all get sent back to high school? Who says we have to fit in? Fit in with whom? I paid my money to be on the ship. That's enough for me.

I tend to agree with you. I found the article to be rather insulting. I am an adult and do not need instructions for "fitting in". I do not go on vacation to "fit in". I go to enjoy my time with my family and friends. We have made many, many friends on ships over the years without following the articles instructions. Again.....how insulting.

Wow. What a juvenile article. Did we all get sent back to high school? Who says we have to fit in? Fit in with whom? I paid my money to be on the ship. That's enough for me.

I tend to agree with you. I found the article to be rather insulting. I am an adult and do not need instructions for "fitting in". I do not go on vacation to "fit in". I go to enjoy my time with my family and friends. We have made many, many friends on ships over the years without following the articles instructions. Again.....how insulting.

Exactly! It's a vacation on a cruse ship - luxury or otherwise - not a debutante ball. No instructions necessary, thank you!

Sorry, LauraS......but this new resource doesn't "fit in" with me.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I wouldn't mind sailing on a luxury line. Sure would like a big cabin. I feel that because I am well educated, speak and write fluent English properly - well, with an occasional dangling participle - I would not feel out of place. As for gourmet food...When I see articles about fancy, very expensive restaurants with many Michelin stars...the pictures inevitably show small portion on a very large plate, of things I would never consider putting in my mouth anyway. Give me modest portions of edible food and I am happy. Oh, and I do believe in capitalization of the first word. Trouble is, my little finger sometimes doesn't stay on the shift key long enough... EM

I thought the worst part was when it said to go out and buy all new clothes. As if I usually travel looking like garbage!

My "favorite" was hearing I could "command respect" if I went on an excursion that no one else took.

This article must be written by that same person who writes blogs advising you dress nicely so you'll get a free upgrade on your flight.

Just more silly nonsense.

IMO its just bad - and rather offensive - all around. It gives a new cruiser the impression that "luxury" cruising is elitist and only for a certain class of individuals. And that the rest of society has to behave a certain way on board in order to gain acceptance should they wish to try be part of the clique. I think that's bad advice for CC to endorse by posting it as a "resource". If someone can afford the price of admission they should not require a program suggesting how they should conduct themselves on board to satisfy others.

I am quite surprised at the reaction to what I feel is a good article for people considering a luxury cruise. Luxury cruisers are just people - nothing special about them except that they prefer a different atmosphere when they cruise. Luxury cruise ships are typically all-inclusive but passengers do not sit around drinking all day. Luxury cruise ships are quiet (very quiet) - no music blaring by the pool or contests.

Luxury cruise lines can be very boring. On a sea day you can go to lectures, perhaps do a wine tasting, play Bingo and/or Trivia and there is always a couple of games that the crew play against the passengers. Pre-dinner music in the lounges is mellow - generally a trio or duo that may or may not sing (or a pianist). The ships are small so there are few restaurants and only 1 or 2 very small boutiques with merchandise that is too expensive for most people (but when you have on board credits, it can be fun to shop).

When school is not in session, it is unusual to see children on a luxury cruise line. During these times, passengers are looking for a child-free environment (we don't hate children - many of us have either "been there - done that" or our children are being watched by grandparents while we take a romantic vacation).

There are people that can be intimated by luxury cruising. The article explains quite well why this isn't necessary. While one luxury cruise line (Silversea) is quite formal, the rest are "Elegant Casual" (meaning slacks and collared shirts for men at night -- it does not matter the brand or how much it costs). Jeans are not permitted after 6:00 p,m. (except on Crystal which allows dress jeans). Shorts are also not permitted anywhere on the ship after 6:00 p.m. During the day, you can pretty much wear anything. Except for during the day, baseball caps would also not be permitted nor would t-shirts.

It sounds as if some posters may be "put off" by having rules on a ship. Is this true? I assumed that all cruise lines have guidelines in terms of what to wear, etc.

Lastly, if you go on a luxury cruise line with the attitude that "I paid a lot of money and will do whatever I want to do", you will likely not have a good experience. Everyone on the ship (any ship for that matter - luxury or not) has paid money but that does not give. you permission to do anything that would interfere with the enjoyment of others. On the other hand, if you decide that luxury cruising may be right for you -- just be friendly, follow the dress code and don't over drink. The alcohol is free flowing - you can have a strong or weak drink and they use top shelf alcohol. We have done luxury cruising for 13 years and do not care how much money another person has, how high his/her position is in real life or how big your car is. We are there to have fun - share experiences and simply enjoy ourselves.

If anything I wrote came across as condescending, it was certainly not my intent.

I am quite surprised at the reaction to what I feel is a good article for people considering a luxury cruise.

If anything I wrote came across as condescending, it was certainly not my intent.

Really? You don't get it? It starts with your title "10 Ways to Fit in on Your First Luxury Cruise", and goes downhill from there - including your current, long, post. Sorry - but judging from this thread, I think its pretty clear I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

Really? You don't get it? It starts with your title "10 Ways to Fit in on Your First Luxury Cruise", and goes downhill from there - including your current, long, post. Sorry - but judging from this thread, I think its pretty clear I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

With all due respect, many posters on this thread do not "get it". When we visit a new country we do research to insure that we "fit in" and do not act in a way that could be offensive to anyone. When we went on a Disney cruise, we also did our research. This board is for people new to cruising. As such, one would assume that people would want to learn as much as possible. If you criticize other posters and close your ears or mind to what is being said, what is the point of being here? No one is telling you to do everything that people recommend....... just read, think about it and decide for yourself.

I'm astounded that I ever managed to "fit in" at the Reform and other London clubs without such a "helpful" article to guide plebs such as me on the intricacies of proper behavior amongst the upper classes :')

Most people sailing a luxury line will know what to expect and how to act. Those who are uncomfortable or who feel intimidated in those settings will probably sail, for example, the Haven on NCL or something similar on a line they feel comfortable sailing. That way they can be in comfortable surroundings and still have a feeling of exclusivity.

With all due respect, many posters on this thread do not "get it". When we visit a new country we do research to insure that we "fit in" and do not act in a way that could be offensive to anyone.

What makes you think that "many posters on this thread" don't research local customs and culture to ensure that they fit in? I for one live abroad and have lived in many countries. Visiting, and even living, in new countries is second nature to me.

Your article was poorly received. As a writer (I'm also a writer), you should be open to criticism and take it onboard so that you can improve. Coming back to defend yourself and to further insult people really doesn't help your cause.

Edited by ExpatBride

ExpatBride, firstly, this was not "my article" -- I read it as a CC member just as you did and am responding as such. You mentioned that you live abroad and have lived in many countries. You are fortunate. I doubt if others on this thread have had the experiences that you have had. BTW, my comment which assumes that some posters do not do research on customs and etiquette in different countries comes from the apparent resistance to reading about suggestions on fitting in on luxury cruise lines (although I do not like the term "fit in" - IMO, a better term should have been used). If one reads that in Thailand, "do not touch the top of a child's head" or "do not point your feet towards anyone", it is in your best interest to listen to what is being said without argument (both of those statements are true).

In terms of NCL's Haven (a sister company to Regent), IMO, there is no comparison between being in an exclusive part of a mainstream cruise line and sailing on a luxury cruise line. There have been many threads on this subject (likely to be on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board rather than this board which is for people new to cruising.)

I'm sorry if you felt that I was insulting posters. To the contrary, I felt that posters responding to the article were insulting not only the writer but the Manager of CC which is what prompted me to post. It is beyond me why people made rude comments about an article that they could simply ignore.

Essiesmom - really enjoyed your post. Just wanted to say that food on Regent is very normal and is prepared whatever way you wish. It isn't fancy food - just good quality and well prepared. You can have lobster, Filet Mignon (plus many other choices) every night if you wish. And, with 24 hours notice the Chef will prepare anything that you would like (as long as the ingredients are onboard).

MicCanberra - think that you "get" the article:D

NMLady - glad to hear that you sailed on Regent and understand how far just being friendly and smiling will go - anywhere - not just on a luxury cruise line.

BTW, I disagree with the article in terms of buying new clothes. As long as you can meet the "Elegant Casual" dress code (which is easy - men can wear Dockers-type slacks and a polo shirt or slacks and a short or long sleeved dress shirt if they want), you will be fine. Women can wear almost anything (except shorts, jeans, t-shirts).

I also do not "get" the respect part of the article. People need to be respectful of others all of the time - not just on luxury cruises.

P.S. Oops - another long post. What do you guys have against long posts?

ExpatBride, firstly, this was not "my article" -- I read it as a CC member just as you did and am responding as such.

My mistake, I was confused by this bit: "If anything I wrote came across as condescending, it was certainly not my intent." And yes, I've been to Thailand and also know that as a woman, I shouldn't hand anything directly to a monk.

My mistake, I was confused by this bit: "If anything I wrote came across as condescending, it was certainly not my intent." And yes, I've been to Thailand and also know that as a woman, I shouldn't hand anything directly to a monk.

I was referring to my post. As I've said, many people on thread have not yet been to as many countries as you or I have been. Hopefully, when they do visit new countries they will do research in order to learn what both of us have learned.

I was referring to my post. As I've said, many people on thread have not yet been to as many countries as you or I have been. Hopefully, when they do visit new countries they will do research in order to learn what both of us have learned.

I too thought you were the author by your last comment and response to my last post. That being said I stand by my comments regarding the original post and it being written in a condescending manner. To that we will agree to disagree. And criticism is not an insult to the manager - it is honest feedback. Lastly, you have no idea how many countries I - or anyone else on this thread - have visited, and IMO the tone of your comment regarding that smacks of arrogance.

Haven't read the article - partially because of the poorly worded (and easy to misinterpret) "fit in" title but also because many of the CC "tip type" articles really just mirror common sense.

A worthwhile article on luxury or premium cruising vs mass market would better focus on something like an examination of the basis for their cultural norms and/or an analysis of their ROI value or even just summarize some basic data about the common preferences of their loyal cruisers.

IMO, many folks who travel on premium (Oceania) and luxury (Regent) lines are there because they expect to get what was advertised. And one of the last things on their mind is being in a closed environment that tries to be "all things to all people."

Take Oceania for example. The line's two catch phrases are "country club casual" and "best food at sea." Folks sailing on O pay (in part) to be among a diverse group of often well-traveled and accomplished passengers who seek those cultural norms (among other preferential factors).

Basically, "fitting in" for these folks means "the ship fits in with them" and not vice versa.

As one of those passengers, I really don't want to have to sit across the table from someone wearing either a wife-beater tee shirt and baseball cap OR a tuxedo/evening gown nor do I want to wonder if the next meal will be as inedible as the prior one.

Likewise, I don't want to be nickel/dimed, stuck with bare minimum cabin amenities (incl a bad mattress), served by inexperienced staff or entertained/educated by "wannabe" performers/lecturers or subjected to rock walls/water slides/ice skating et al (all of which detracts from the unique experience of "life at sea").

And when my granddaughter is old enough to truly enjoy/appreciate a cruise, I want her to have a good mix of fun and enrichment in a setting where well mannered/behaved kids are more the norm rather than the exception.

At the bottom line, I don't want to be on a ship where folks need to work on "fitting in." Rather I want to sail with others who, while diverse in a wide variety of ways, at least share my experiential preferences on a ship that "fits in" with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums