Update on St.Maarten shooting.

Topo Gigio

Yeah, I would really like to know what this person is referring to. I tried googling it, and I don't see any current news story about a Carnival (or any cruise) related shooting in St Maartan.

It is not cruise related. I found this:

http://timescaribbeanonline.com/2015/08/08/shot-st-maarten-police-officer-brain-dead-still-on-life-support/

The way I read this article (it is not easy), it says the victim was a St. Maarten police officer who was visiting the Dominican Republic with his father when he was shot. Therefore, this is not a St. Maarten shooting.

Unfortunately the police officer past away. He was sent to the Dominican Republic for advanced medical treatment, but they couldn't do anything for him.

It makes you wonder what sort of medical treatment is available in St. Maarten...

Edited by Langoustine

It makes you wonder what sort of medical treatment is available in St. Maarten...

Santo Domingo DR has a population of about 1 million. That one city has about 10 times the amount of people that St. Maarten/St Martin has. St. Maarten/St. Martin is a small island. St. Bart's, Anguilla, St. Kitts, Antigua, Grenada and the list goes on of islands that I would not want to have a catastrophic injury or illness on.

I wouldn't think that St Maarten would have a Neurosurgeon to perform complicated brain surgery and an Intensivevist for the care afterwards. The equipment and qualified Surgeons would be very expensive. Our Trauma Centre covers 750,000 people or more. Transferring pt's off island is not that different then transferring an expectant mom in premature labor or a critically injured car accident victim from Northern Ontario to Southern Ontario or Manitoba for care. This is not unusual on the islands.

We always travel with health insurance that would allow us to be transferred off island if we needed more advanced medical care.

Sometimes sadly not even the most advanced medical care is not enough though.

It is pertinent to cruising - the Carnival Conquest was in St. Maarten the day it happened and many cruisers were downtown shopping when this happened.

Cruisecritic never posted anything about it in the News section. I though that they might but they never did.

I don't understand discussing shootings in cruise ports at all?

IF tourists discussed every shooting in the USA they probably wouldn't visit any city there at all!

I definitely want to know if A) tourists are being targeted and B) ongoing issue in a certain area especially if nothing is being done to change the situation

From what I have read this type of violence is not the norm and changes are in the works as well.

I think St Maarten has handled this awful situation with class and determination. I was on island for 11 days after this shooting and I was very impressed by what I read, seen and heard.

• 1 month later...

I was on Front street when the shooting occurred.

We were in port from the Independence of the Seas on the Aug 2nd sailing.

I was on a bench about 6 storefronts away from where it happened.

I heard several gunshots & then saw people running up the street in my direction.

Many of the store owners were yelling for everyone to get inside the stores & then many of them slammed their gates down to try to protect everyone.

I don't know for a fact if it is true, but several of the store owners said that a few times a month, there are store robberies because it can be a quick grab of a lot of cash & then they disappear into the crowd. The way they reacted so quickly with the gates, I think I believe it.

Very sad about the officer.

I don't understand discussing shootings in cruise ports at all?

IF tourists discussed every shooting in the USA they probably wouldn't visit any city there at all!

What would you rather discuss, the dress code in the MDR. I think it is pretty important for everyone to understand the potential dangers they could encounter.

What would you rather discuss, the dress code in the MDR. I think it is pretty important for everyone to understand the potential dangers they could encounter.

Last year 454 murders in Chicago. On pace this year for the same. DON'T visit Chicago... or washington or baltimore or miami or new york.. and on and on and on. So far the islands are safer.... unfortunately with a gun culture you get this.ease of access. Major black market running guns out of control.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk