Can I get away with this?

mykidsrock76

I have a metal headpiece sort of like the ones in these pictures. I am trying to decide if I can get away with this OR if I am going to get weird looks. :rolleyes: My DH says "who cares" it looks good and I can rock it.. but I am looking for opinons here.

One of my dresses for elegant night has a Grecian feel to it..one shoulder, navy tulle overlay on white, with an empire waist with beads and sparkle. Think fancy, blue toga.

Thoughts?

2013-Hot-Grecian-Fashion-Style-Women-Gold-Metal-Rhinestone-Head-Piece-Chain-Jewelry-Hair-accesso.jpg.10ef33a1742deff4b91aad1479496464.jpg

mFHamLm-ZcYHsfOaQjX3tsg.jpg.287602609a65bcbfd759d193d29a18f2.jpg

Well, since you asked for opinions, this would be OK on the mass market cruise lines, IMHO. However, you will look somewhat 'in costume' and generate comments and looks. That may not be a bad thing. If you like the look, and your DH likes, what's the harm? What will your husband be wearing? Where will you be cruising?

Have fun!

Margee

We are cruising on Carnival, so very mass market. This trip we'll be doing the southern Caribbean, without the children.

I don't want to look "in costume" and DH will be in a shirt and tie, so no toga for him. ;)

I can actually work my hair around the headpiece so that it blends well and just looks like a fancy headband of sorts.

You're definitely going to get some looks. Carnival is not a dressy line and people seldom if ever wear head gear to dinner. But, if it suits you why not and have your pictures taken for posterity.

Jonathan

I assume people will look. Harsh comments are what I do not want. It actually looks really good with my dress and with my makeup done right.

Or I could just have fun with it... after all, I'll probably never see any of those people again after the cruise! :)

To be honest, I think the headpiece is too big. If it's only a simple chain, it would look elegant. I believe some people can pull it off. If your husband says you look with it, just wear it, who cares! :D

Do you have a picture of your dress? As I understand, your dress is with a lot of details, I am not sure if the whole look will be too busy. (sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what i mean)

Hi, in your first post you said you were asking for opinions. I think it would

look good if wearing a costume....something like Cleopatra would wear....

Just one person's opinion.

I'd wear it.

But then again, I plan on wearing my corset one night for dinner, my pirate clothes to the beach in Bermuda and wear my own head dress whenever the spirit moves me.

In the end, if you are a free spirit, you can totally rock it! Some will stare, a few may even be ill-bred enough to comment.

A warm smile and a deaf ear tend to work wonders in those situations.

There will always be those of us who dance to our own drummers and those that haven't quite gathered the courage yet. Wearing something unconventional simply means you may inspire someone to step out of their comfort zone and try something new.

No matter what you decide, happy cruising!

-Melissa

I'd wear it.

But then again, I plan on wearing my corset one night for dinner, my pirate clothes to the beach in Bermuda and wear my own head dress whenever the spirit moves me.

In the end, if you are a free spirit, you can totally rock it! Some will stare, a few may even be ill-bred enough to comment.

There will always be those of us who dance to our own drummers and those that haven't quite gathered the courage yet. Wearing something unconventional simply means you may inspire someone to step out of their comfort zone and try something new.

-Melissa

Love it!

I'd wear it.

-Melissa

Or it means you are desperate for attention.

I assume people will look. Harsh comments are what I do not want. It actually looks really good with my dress and with my makeup done right.

Or I could just have fun with it... after all, I'll probably never see any of those people again after the cruise! :)

I'm going on 56, I think, and other people tell me, I dress with class and a little something that pops!!!! If you don't especially on a cruise, it's boring. They use to have theme nights on cruises, they were fun too. I think you'll look great. I'd love too see pics, maybe you could show us pictures on cruise critic fashionista's. Anyway, go for it and have a great time!!:)

Or it means you are desperate for attention.

I can tell you it has nothing to do with being desperate for attention. Attention is never something I have to dress in costume for.

It actually takes a much stronger, confident person to not be afraid to express them self, than someone that just goes along with the crowd. Where's the fun in that?

I'm going on 56, I think, and other people tell me, I dress with class and a little something that pops!!!! If you don't especially on a cruise, it's boring. They use to have theme nights on cruises, they were fun too. I think you'll look great. I'd love too see pics, maybe you could show us pictures on cruise critic fashionista's. Anyway, go for it and have a great time!!:)

I just turned 37 and I too am told (almost daily) about how well I dress or how striking I am. I'm not afraid of color or jewelry or to accessorize in a tasteful way. And before anyone blasts me for being conceited, I'm not conceited. Just confident.

I think I have the personality and confidence to wear this and wear it well. I will def take pics and post them for you!

I say wear it and am definitely in the old geezer age group. You're young, you say it looks good and your husband likes it. Sometimes people forget what that's like and want you to fit their mold. If you can make it perhaps a little more classic looking (headband) and that makes you more comfortable, fine. You're right in that you probably won't see any of these people again so what matters is that you enjoy looking good on this fun trip with your husband. A few decades back, I'd have rocked something similar.

I say wear it and am definitely in the old geezer age group. You're young, you say it looks good and your husband likes it. Sometimes people forget what that's like and want you to fit their mold. If you can make it perhaps a little more classic looking (headband) and that makes you more comfortable, fine. You're right in that you probably won't see any of these people again so what matters is that you enjoy looking good on this fun trip with your husband. A few decades back, I'd have rocked something similar.

Thank you... what a great perspective!

People dye their hair lime green, crazy body piercings and covered in tattoos, dress in heavy goth garb. They are all expressing their individuality. They expect people to look and whisper. If you want to wear the headpiece, and you and your hubby like it, then go ahead and do it! We all have a signature to express our personality. Don't worry about what others will say. Have fun! You are on vacation and will probably never see most of those people again anyway!

I can tell you it has nothing to do with being desperate for attention. Attention is never something I have to dress in costume for.

It actually takes a much stronger, confident person to not be afraid to express them self, than someone that just goes along with the crowd. Where's the fun in that?

The woman who dresses to fit in with others but carries herself with self-confidence is the woman with class and who will stand out for that, rather than just standing out.