belize?

sunshinegirl29

looking for some feedback on bannister island and coco plum in belize. Good for a shore trip? Allday ? Safe

My advice would be to stay on the ship in Belize. Last month while I was there, two cops chased and shot a guy multiple times on the crowded street right outside the pier. This was basically right in front of me. It's a miracle no pedestrians were hit with the 10-12 shots flying.

looking for some feedback on bannister island and coco plum in belize. Good for a shore trip? Allday ? Safe

Have you checked out the Caribbean ports of call? Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

The only port of call we hesitated about visiting on our Western Caribbean cruise last week was Roatan. (we were on the Sun) We were advised that if we wanted to visit the island, we should book an excursion through NCL for safety reasons. I'm sure there's more info on the website posted above though.

Enjoy your cruise and just be careful.

My advice would be to stay on the ship in Belize. Last month while I was there, two cops chased and shot a guy multiple times on the crowded street right outside the pier. This was basically right in front of me. It's a miracle no pedestrians were hit with the 10-12 shots flying.

Belize is a tender port so which pier are you talking about? The tender dock outside the shops? There isn't really a street there so are you sure you're talking about Belize?

I did Belize on my last NCL cruise. It wasn't very memorable. There isn't much around the port area. Slightly sketchy, locals are a bit aggressive. No problems if you take standard precautions though.

Roatan on the other hand looks like we docked in a slum. Very pushy locals. Not aggressive though, overall nice, just trying to make some money. Drugs everywhere.

Belize is a tender port so which pier are you talking about? The tender dock outside the shops? There isn't really a street there so are you sure you're talking about Belize?

The street right outside the gated port area.

Yeah, been to Belize many times, I was confused which port I was in.....:confused:

I'm not familiar with Coco P!um but Bannister was purchased by new owners about a year ago. It was featured on an episode of Island Hunters, I believe. You may be able to search for the episode online. You may also find reviews on TripAdvisor. But disregard any reviews attached to the previous owners.

And if you can get an excursion through the ship, the ferry boat should pick you up straight from the ship and bring you back so you can avoid the mainland. But check to make sure.

Good luck!

Funny, I saw almost the same thing in NYC last weekend. Not to worry, after the new island is done NCL won't be back to Belize City

Edited by Laszlo

Funny, I saw almost the same thing in NYC last weekend. Not to worry, after the new island is done NCL won't be back to Belize City

The way it was handled and the police response really shook my confidence in the whole system. Nothing like we see in the U.S. No more Belize City for me. Been there, done that, survived the bullet barrage.

I lived in Belize City for one year. During the daytime the city is perfectly safe, but there is not a lot to see walking around. I suggest going on an excursion to one of the Mayan ruins (I recommend Xunantunich), or try tubing on the Mopan River.

That's too bad. I really hate being captured by artificial ports and try to get away as fast as possible.

Mahogany bay on Roatan is a prime example.

We love visiting Coxen Hole and Belize City.

In Belize we enjoyed the ship excursion that included a city tour while driving to Altun Ha Mayan ruins & then a boat ride on the River Wallace.

The boat then drove us to the port, too.

It was not too crowded, varied, educational & we felt safe.

It is a madhouse just outside the port gate as you file out to the waiting bus, this is locals trying to sell you everything from trinkets & tours to hair braiding.

Things happen everywhere but Belize would be wise to clean it up as they are losing tourists due to the unrest.

In Roatan, we highly recommend using Victor Bodden tours.

Personalized to your interests...we had a lovely local young lady that was fabulous and enjoyed our day there immensely! Cameo's, monkeys, local grocery store shopping (very inexpensive).

She knew all the best places to go for us and answered many, many questions we asked.

Another sketchy place but we never felt unsafe at all.

Do wish they'd clean it up too before they lose all the much needed tourist $'s.

Edited by silvercrikhix

What day were you in Belize?

Edited by luvcruzing

Wednesday, November 12. The shooting took place around 2-2:30.

At 2:15 pm a guy shot and killed another. Police began a pursuit and caught and shot him in the leg as he was attempting to shoot them. Sounds like a typical news story from Detroit, LA or NYC? No one else was shot or injured.

I was curious, because on the cruise the week prior, my friend wasn't allowed to leave the port area at the gate by security for whatever reason.

The port security is paid by the shopping plaza. They want it to be difficult to leave the port area. There is always at least on exit onto the street, sometimes you have to search for it. Last week it was near the bus loading area. The other gates would not let you exit.

We were in Belize the first week of November and did a cave tubing tour through our ship (Navigator of the Seas). We took a bus to & from and were well taken care of. I would feel comfortable doing that again and there was a new zipline where you zip into the cave.

Because of the tenders, we felt better doing a ship excursion and we did get back just in time.

I'm not familiar with Coco P!um but Bannister was purchased by new owners about a year ago. It was featured on an episode of Island Hunters, I believe. You may be able to search for the episode online. You may also find reviews on TripAdvisor. But disregard any reviews attached to the previous owners.

And if you can get an excursion through the ship, the ferry boat should pick you up straight from the ship and bring you back so you can avoid the mainland. But check to make sure.

Good luck!

I wonder if this is the island excursion we booked directly through NCL. They didn't give an island name, but it sounds like we are supposed to be picked up directly from the ship and transported to the island (at least I HOPE that is the way it is...I have no desire to go to the mainland for shopping).

I was just searching for Bannister Island and some recent reviews state that it is now called Starfish Island and it is owned by Carnival.

Does anyone know which island the NCL excursion goes to? This date of our cruise is my DH 40th birthday. I don't want the excursion to be a total flop so I just want to make sure we aren't going to be trapped in a fume-filled boat or on an over-crowded slum of a beach somewhere. :confused:

The way it was handled and the police response really shook my confidence in the whole system.

Nothing like we see in the U.S.

No more Belize City for me. Been there, done that, survived the bullet barrage.

I think there are many that would wonder about this not being seen in the US but I will not go there.

We have been to Belize many times; realize all places you need to be cautious but I would do a ship tour if I left the port area.