Men's Formal Wear Question

TheSoccerCoach

Hello friends!

I have a question for you all. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Back in the 90's I was a Social Host on the QE2 and enjoyed the use of a number of tuxedos provided to me by Cunard. There was just something about putting a tuxedo on at night and going out and about on board.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first cruise as a passenger last year, but feel I would have enjoyed it more had I had better evening wear at my disposal. So, I am in search of a new tuxedo.

I am completely out of the loop as to what is currently considered in fashion, if men still wear cummerbunds, etc. So, I am reaching out to you all!

Sadly, I am not a rich man; I live on a college educator's salary. But, I can afford a yearly cruise and do want to be dressed more properly at night. Plus, my wife and I are looking at joining a local chamber choir, so, there will be need of a tuxedo there as well.

Please send your suggestions my way. Thank you!

I have a classic tuxedo, I guess. Silver/onyx studs, cummerbund (fabric to match the bow tie), a mix of pre-tied and "real" bow ties... The only place where I've scrimped is shoes. I have a regular pair of black leather dress shoes rather than shiny tuxedo shoes.

If you live near a Joseph A. Banks store, they have days about once a month or so where everything is 70% off and you can get a nice tuxedo set for a fairly reasonable price. It should last a long time so unless you gain or lose a lot of weight the tux is likely to be a one time investment.

If you live near Macy's they frequently have some good sales on Men's Formal Wear. But if you want a real buy, try to find a food service uniform supply shop--the places waiters purchase their clothing. They frequently have tuxes for around $100.00 and usually sell in separates (jacket and slacks) reducing the costs for possible alterations.

I have bought several tuxedos from Joseph A Banks. They are serviceable and are well made for the price. They have cummerbunds and ties as well. Cunard has a variety of cummerbunds and ties as well to buy on board. Brooks Bros has patient leather formal shoes for a good price, though any well shined black shoes will be fine. If you want to go all out, get a nice pair of Albert Slippers in velvet, usually blue or black, but if you want to be fancy as one Blade was on a crossing a red pair. The have a variety of embroidered tongues to spice things up. Enjoy the dressing formal. it's part of the Cunard fun.

Hello friends!

I have a question for you all. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

So, I am in search of a new tuxedo.

Sadly, I am not a rich man; I live on a college educator's salary. But, I can afford a yearly cruise and do want to be dressed more properly at night. Plus, my wife and I are looking at joining a local chamber choir, so, there will be need of a tuxedo there as well.

Please send your suggestions my way. Thank you!

Hi Coach ... I am very happy with my new tux. I got it Here:

https://www.buy4lesstuxedo.com

Cheers!

Just of QM2 last week and about half the men I saw in tuxes [including myself] wore a cummerbund and the other half wore a waistcoat. Both are equally appropriate.

Believe it or not, I got my tux at JC Penney a few years ago for less than $200 and it's all wool. You can find really good deals if you shop around and as others have stated it's not something that gets tons of use so will last a while even if it's not an expensive one.

Just of QM2 last week and about half the men I saw in tuxes [including myself] wore a cummerbund and the other half wore a waistcoat. Both are equally appropriate.

Believe it or not, I got my tux at JC Penney a few years ago for less than $200 and it's all wool. You can find really good deals if you shop around and as others have stated it's not something that gets tons of use so will last a while even if it's not an expensive one.

Great deals at K&G Men's super store in Reading. It's where we've gotten our tuxes, for less than $100.

As to cummerbunds, my experience has been that many British men do not wear them, and most Americans do unless they wear waistcoats. Along the same lines, I see quite a few British men in what appear to be normal white dress shirts with white buttons rather than studs.

I have also heard and seen reference in British books to "dinner suits," so I'm wondering if there is some subspecies of tuxedo with that name and without cummerbund or studs, or whether this is simply a strategy for keeping the suitcase at a reasonable weight, perhaps just packing a tuxedo jacket and wearing it with a white dress shirt, bowtie and black pants. Or is "dinner suit" simply another term for tuxedo or black-tie?

As to cummerbunds, my experience has been that many British men do not wear them, and most Americans do unless they wear waistcoats. Along the same lines, I see quite a few British men in what appear to be normal white dress shirts with white buttons rather than studs.

I have also heard and seen reference in British books to "dinner suits," so I'm wondering if there is some subspecies of tuxedo with that name and without cummerbund or studs, or whether this is simply a strategy for keeping the suitcase at a reasonable weight, perhaps just packing a tuxedo jacket and wearing it with a white dress shirt, bowtie and black pants. Or is "dinner suit" simply another term for tuxedo or black-tie?

A dinner suit is indeed what we in the United States call a tuxedo. This may help explain the differences between British and American usage. http://lhmw.co.uk/blog/2008/10/10/dinner-suit-evening-dress-black-tie-tuxedo’s-white-tie-and-morning-dress-–-what’s-the-difference/

A

In the UK, "Formal" wear is actually tails for men with a white bow tie.

An Evening Suit, also known as "black tie" (note: not red, or blue, or spotted or with flashing lights) is the exact same as a "Tuxedo".

Cummerbunds are not normally worn anymore.

A proper evening shirt would either have studs or a fly front with no buttons exposed.

DH has had great success at finding good quality tuxedos in charity/thrift stores. It can take some time, but so worth the hunt.

Lightweight pure wool looks best and packs well.

As a female who likes to look at men in tuxedos, I can say that I prefer a self-tied bowtie, cufflinks, shirt studs, flat-front trousers, and plain leather dress shoes.

How about renting a tux onboard? We're going to be touring for a few weeks and don't want to drag the formalwear with us.

You can, but it ain't cheap! If you can deal with schlepping it, you're probably better off buying a cheap one. ($90 for 1 night, $170 for 3 nights)

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/Formal_Hire

You can, but it ain't cheap! If you can deal with schlepping it, you're probably better off buying a cheap one. ($90 for 1 night, $170 for 3 nights)

My understanding has been that you can't for example rent for one night if your itinerary has something like three formal nights.

Black Tuxedo Packages**

Includes Dinner Jacket, trousers, shirt, bow tie & handkerchief.

Number of Nights

Cost (USD)

$90

$125

$170

$210

$250