How many Suitcases ? 1 or 2 ?

CalifGirl67

Ok so I have started packing for our cruise and hubby said to only take 1 large one and a small pull one for meds/small items to take on plane. Well suit case is almost full with all hubby's stuff and only a few of my things :eek: Don't want to worry about being over 50 pounds on weight....... So should I just go with 2 rather then 1 suit case. How do you all pack for a cruise?

We take three suitcases for the two of us. It helps to fly Southwest where each person gets two bags free.

We are flying southwest this trip but hubby said 2 is too many and will take up to much room if there large suit cases, and they are large.

I take one big one, a smaller one (carry on) that will fit inside the big one, and a day pack. Of course leave space and under 50 lbs for things you might want to bring back. Two large suitcases will fit under the bed and be out of the way. That's why you want to make sure your carry on will fit in your big one. Have fun!

for us it depends if we are flying or not..... If we fly we will adhere to the airline limits. The wife and I each take the biggest 50 pounder we can and also bring a carry on. If we are flying we usually stay a night or 2 (or 3) before the cruise and have the opportunity to repack. By that I mean we put what we need into a carry on (enough to carry us through day 1 incase our luggage is late) and check everything else at the pier. If not flying we care less about the weight but still bring the same big case.... In both situations we always bring too much!

Well, I believe in packing everything I think we might need. I'd much rather pack something and not need it, than need something I haven't pack. Now we always have to fly, and usually are stuck paying the fees for all our bags. I just consider the price part of the cost of our cruise, from the beginning.

For a 7 or 8 day cruise, with one or two day pre-cruise stay at a hotel, I pack four bags:

-Two pullmans, one large that usually hits real close to the 50 pound limit, and one medium that usually hits near 40 pound. They hold most of the fold-able clothes.

-One large duffle bag with most of the shoes, flip flops, our snorkel gear, the utility kits, hair setter, sun screen bottles, and what I call a just-in-case bag (you know first aid stuff, sewing kit, duct tape, corkscrew, laundry soap, bug repellent, all the little things they recommend) etc.

-A garment bag/case - holds all the hanging clothes (dresses, suits, shirts) plus some other items.

I also take a carry-on, with money, documents, reading material/tablet, medications, my jewelry case, purse, one days clothing for both of us, including swimsuits and anything I feel is vital. I keep this bag stuck to me like glue.

Yes, it's a lot, but all the bags have wheels and we are adept at handling two apiece. The carry-on and hubby's camera bag both can piggyback onto the bigger bags. And the pullmans, and carryon all nest, for easy storing under the bed.

And and since I do ALL the packing my hubby knows better than to object to any of it. And that he darn well better not dare to give me any limits on what I can and cannot take. Not if he doesn't want to find himself doing all his own packing, including the washing, drying, folding, ironing and packing of all that he needs. And that includes the organizing, planning, shopping for and remembering of it all.

One note here, IF perhaps hubby and I were much smaller people, perhaps our clothes would take much less room. I know that my swim suit takes up a space the approximate size of a woman's shoe box, while my size 2 niece can pack hers in the coin pocket of her jeans. Suffice to say, some of us just need more luggage.

Edited by Gayle V

When we flew to Europe for a 7 day Med. cruise with 3 additional days on land, my DH took one medium suitcase and a backpack. I took one medium suitcase and a small carry on for meds and a change of clothes. Halfway through the cruise, we sent some things to the laundry on board ship which helped tremendously. We just don't care for dealing with large suitcases..

Take whatever you feel you most comfortable with, even if it means an extra suitcase or carryon!

Enjoy your cruise!

We are flying southwest this trip but hubby said 2 is too many and will take up to much room if there large suit cases, and they are large.

Sounds like Hubby needs to un-pack some of his stuff then!

)

One note here, IF perhaps hubby and I were much smaller people, perhaps our clothes would take much less room. I know that my swim suit takes up a space the approximate size of a woman's shoe box, while my size 2 niece can pack hers in the coin pocket of her jeans. Suffice to say, some of us just need more luggage.

Love your post - especially the quote above!

If we are flying to a port, we may check one 25-27" bag and carry on two small bags and two personal items (knapsacks). My preference is to bring less and carry it all on or to check a 22" suitcase, include some old clothing that has one more wear in it and then can be left behind, use up all of the liquid toiletries and then be able to carry it on the plane going home.

Tell your husband that he may have exactly one half of the capacity of the large suitcase. I'm sure that you will be able to fit your things in just fine.:)

4 of us recently cruised on the Silhouette last month and we learnt an important lesson in packing. We usually carry 1 bag per person since it is easier to move around with. And we usually arrive at our port atleast 1 day earlier to ensure there is no tension if flights are delayed.

We traveled on Turkish Airlines from Mumbai to Rome on 9th June for our cruise on 10th June. Guess what, Turkish Airlines did not load my dad's bag at Istanbul and our day was ruined, trying to find clothes that fit him, and more importantly medicines.

For my wife and I, we have a simple policy, we always carry 2 bags and fit half of our respective clothes in each bag, so that even if one of the bags get delayed/lost, we are covered for the cruise. Medicines are split in both bags and a few in our carry on luggage.

Turkish airlines offered us USD 50 (for a 24 hour delay for a Business Class passenger) which is a joke, considering how expensive it is to buy a change of clothing in Europe. Hence, why risk packing all your clothes in 1 bag? What if that bag gets delayed? Both of you will have your cruise ruined.

Big bags EASILY fit under the bed, so you dont have to worry about storage space. Have a great cruise.

And and since I do ALL the packing my hubby knows better than to object to any of it. And that he darn well better not dare to give me any limits on what I can and cannot take. Not if he doesn't want to find himself doing all his own packing, including the washing, drying, folding, ironing and packing of all that he needs. And that includes the organizing, planning, shopping for and remembering of it all.

Yeppers.

I learned my own lesson when our 10 year old was 3 and he and I were heading to Disneyland before DH was flying down. He was soooo worried that the umbrella stroller would be just One More Difficult Thing for me to deal with while flying with DS, and it was just going to be so awful. He convinced me to just not take the stroller (we ONLY used the umbrella stroller for Disneyland, and had a proper jogging stroller that was only used for jogging...we were babywearing, kid-carrying, hand-holding people!) and just rent one in the parks.

And then getting up early in the morning and walking about 2 blocks (or more...long blocks) from our hotel to Disneyland, wandering and playing all day, then walking (b/c I'd turned in the stroller as we left!) back to the hotel was too much. And my 3 year old needed to either be dragged or carried. So I carried him. Piggybacked, more specifically.

Took my hips years to recover from that (and I get bodywork regularly). And I've just now realized that the exact move of the arms to keep a big kid on the back is the exact move I have severe difficulties with now, so it might have messed up my shoulder, too.

DH's concerns over 1 hour of airport time messed me up for years and years.

He gets no say in what I pack anymore. :)

We pack a lot. 4 full sized suitcases for the 3 of us, plus carryons for each and personal items for most. Two Disney (normal size cabins) and one Royal (3 person, but the big side-aft cabin on Freedom) cruises down with the 3 of us, and there hasn't been a problem fitting the luggage anywhere.

Would't even contemplate taking anything less than 2 large and 2 cabin size cases for DH and myself.

Although he moans a lot about taking too much, he knows, that I know,he would be wearing the same shirt to dinner on alternate nights if he had done the packing.

We take two large rolling suitcases and one or two carryon's.

If your DH insists that you only have one suitcase, then I would remove some of his items so you can fit yours. :)

When we took one of our Alaska cruises, we saw a couple with only carryon luggage (nothing was checked). He was wearing his sport coat for formal night. This was for a 7 night cruise. :eek: Not sure how they pulled it off but I have always been envious.

I always over pack and have clothes hanging in the closet that we do not wear on the cruise. Each and every time we cruise, I say I am packing less but it never seems to happen.

My husband and I each have our own giant duffle style suitcases on wheels (check that), we share a small carry-on overnight suitcase on wheels especially to keep the last night since all our other luggage is taken away and we like to have something to keep all the rest of the clothes and toiletries we need for disembarkation day. We also have a large garment bag that we share (check that).

Ok so I have started packing for our cruise and hubby said to only take 1 large one and a small pull one for meds/small items to take on plane. Well suit case is almost full with all hubby's stuff and only a few of my things :eek: Don't want to worry about being over 50 pounds on weight....... So should I just go with 2 rather then 1 suit case. How do you all pack for a cruise?

We take three. A large for each of us, and a suit-bag for our formalwear and shoes. We enjoy changing our clothes and having variety. The vacation costs so much, would rather pay for another piece of luggage and have choice. Also, if we fly jetblue or southwest, some of the luggage charges are included. we also each take a carry on.

7/8 days

We each take: 26" checked + 21" carry on

4 bags total plus personal item like purse or camera bag

10+days (overseas)

30" checked + 21" carry on

26" checked + 21" carry on

4 bags total plus personal item like purse or camera bag