Will we need jackets and jeans in June on the Carribean?

No jackets but you may want to take a sweater because sometimes the AC can get chilly at night on board. NO jeans. Don't understand why people wear long pants on a wonderful, warm/hot cruise!

And, you can always pick up a light jacket or sweatshirt on board or at port if you need it. But, I don't think you will. Pack light and pack for extreme heat. I'd take a small plastic poncho, however.... the kind that folds up to almost nothing and can be pulled out in a downpour. Got mine for a few bucks at LLBean.

Edited by Donder1

I always bring a sweater for the plane and if I need it indoors on the cruise then I have it. If you typically wear jeans when going out to a sports bar or movie theatre at night then by all means bring a pair of jeans along. Many people that do not go to bed right after dinner change into jeans for the evening. Have a wonderful cruise. :)

I sometimes wonder if those that say you might need a sweater because the air-conditioning is chilly are thin-blooded. And what temperature is considered "chilly", especially in the Caribbean? To the OP, no, you will not need a jacket (or a sweatshirt, or a sweater) unless your blood is thin as water. As for jeans, only if that's what you're most comfortable in wearing. There are some people that don't typically wear shorts, even on hot days. For the most part, except for dinner in the MDR, short sleeve shirts and shorts (or a bathing suit) are pretty much the "norm" on a Caribbean cruise. Do bring plenty of sunblock. Nothing will ruin a cruise like a nasty sunburn.:eek: Hope you have a great cruise!

I sometimes wonder if those that say you might need a sweater because the air-conditioning is chilly are thin-blooded. And what temperature is considered "chilly", especially in the Caribbean? To the OP, no, you will not need a jacket (or a sweatshirt, or a sweater) unless your blood is thin as water. As for jeans, only if that's what you're most comfortable in wearing. There are some people that don't typically wear shorts, even on hot days. For the most part, except for dinner in the MDR, short sleeve shirts and shorts (or a bathing suit) are pretty much the "norm" on a Caribbean cruise. Do bring plenty of sunblock. Nothing will ruin a cruise like a nasty sunburn.:eek: Hope you have a great cruise!

What's the big deal to pack a sweater. Geez!

The ONLY reason you may need jeans (or light weight long pants) is for an excursion. Say you are planning on riding an ATV through wooded areas (jungles). Many prefer to wear long pants only for protection.

I always catch a chill going from extreme hot to cold. Sometimes I'm not cold be end up sitting under the AC vent.

OP bring something lightweight like a windbreaker or cardigan.

You likely would be too warm in heavy jeans. Ladies are comfortable in capri pants if they don't wear shorts and the guys in shorts during the day and many wear Dockers/Khakis on all but formal nights.

I bring a light water-resistant windbreaker with a foldable hood in case of rain.

I love the Caribbean in the summer and DH and sailed it often until HAL started pulling the ships from mid April to mid October.

Dh usually wears his jeans on our flight down because he is comfortable in them. I don't often see them again until our flight home. He packs dress pants and dockers or linen pants for dinners.

I wear grey thin microfiber pants on most flights and will wear them on the cruise sometimes, because they are lightweight, easy to handwash and I can also wear them to the gym.

I take a lightweight jersey sweater for the air conditioning at dinner and the shows.

And one other concern that no one has mentioned...if you are going on a Royal Caribbean ship that has an ice skating rink, you must have long pants to skate. Not capris, not shorts, but long pants.

I'm not thin skinned but I too find the dining room and theater sometimes a bit too cool for sitting long periods without some sort of lightweight over top. Heck, I'm sitting in my office right now, it's over 80 degrees outside, and my office is cold from the a/c.

And one other concern that no one has mentioned...if you are going on a Royal Caribbean ship that has an ice skating rink, you must have long pants to skate. Not capris, not shorts, but long pants.

I'm not thin skinned but I too find the dining room and theater sometimes a bit too cool for sitting long periods without some sort of lightweight over top. Heck, I'm sitting in my office right now, it's over 80 degrees outside, and my office is cold from the a/c.

That's not being thin skinned :) but according to one poster you must be "thinned blooded".

I agree with bringing pants for ice skating. May I dare say that a sweater might come in handy there as well.;)

That's not being thin skinned :) but according to one poster you must be "thinned blooded".

I agree with bringing pants for ice skating. May I dare say that a sweater might come in handy there as well.;)

If this is Aunt Mary, I'm inclined to believe what Uncle Bob said is true, that you're probably the only woman that wears flannel pajamas in August.:D If this isn't Aunt Mary, my apologies.

If this is Aunt Mary, I'm inclined to believe what Uncle Bob said is true, that you're probably the only woman that wears flannel pajamas in August.:D If this isn't Aunt Mary, my apologies.

Wearing a sweater ice skating now is over dressing? Perhaps you need to review how many posters here feel that taking a sweater on an airplane and for use in air conditioned public rooms on the ship is necessary. It's only a sweater. Better to have it and not use it then not have it and try to find one to purchase in the Caribbean.

I take a couple of different cardigans usually (I like options!) for the a/c. I wish it was not cold enough to need one but better to have one than freeze. Layers are the key to comfort IME. But no you won't need jackets. I practically live in skirts and dresses, so I personally don't pack jeans. But if you like to wear them in summer weather, sure why not?

A lot of women are naturally colder than men. I'm assuming you must be male since you don't seem to get this. Or you may be overweight, that works well for insulation too (I never used to get cold like I do now when I was much heavier). I'm always freezing in indoor locations such as restaurants and theaters here in the very same town you live in. At the Easton AMC I have even considered taking a blanket with me. Unless I am going somewhere outdoors in over 80º weather I typically wear jeans. My husband and I always take jeans with us for use on the ship in the Caribbean.

A lot of women are naturally colder than men. I'm assuming you must be male since you don't seem to get this. Or you may be overweight, that works well for insulation too (I never used to get cold like I do now when I was much heavier). I'm always freezing in indoor locations such as restaurants and theaters here in the very same town you live in. At the Easton AMC I have even considered taking a blanket with me. Unless I am going somewhere outdoors in over 80º weather I typically wear jeans. My husband and I always take jeans with us for use on the ship in the Caribbean.

Yes, I am a guy, but no, I'm not overweight. I do admit that I prefer temperatures above 50 degrees, especially outside. I think that men in general can tolerate the cooler air from an air conditioner much better than women. Maybe it has something to do with our metabolisms. But on a Caribbean cruise, when the outside temperature is 80 degrees (or more), going into an air conditioned area, such as the MDR or the theater, can be a nice relief. I don't mean to come across as insensitive towards any ladies that feel the need to pull on a sweater while on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. It just seems a little incongruous to me. C'est La Vie.

The beginning of this thread kept going on and on about how HOT it will be (hot and sunny, hot wind, hot on the ship, hot at the pool, hot on excursions). :eek:

I understand that thin layers are recommended. I've traveled in tropical regions where it was encouraged to even have a change of clothes midday due to how hot it would be (we'd be perspiring so much, for example). Is it THAT hot in Caribbean (in June specifically)?