Just so freaking ready!!!

hilary732

I gave up cruising about 5 years back (maybe more) when I decided I wanted to be in a port more than 5 hours, that I didn't want to stand in lines constantly, and didnt want to feel like I was captive on a floating mega-hotel (I run hotels for a living). So for 5 years it has been land vacations.

For Greece, I wanted to Island hop, and my TA suggested Azamara. I discussed my growing dislike of the cruising experience, how I liked to venture and explore on my own. She told me about Azamara.

I leave next week. Set sail a week from Saturday. I am so excited.

I know the ship is small, and I am so happy for that. I hate crowds.

I know the ship is old, that's ok, I get that no one makes 600person ships anymore.

I know the entertainment is not going to be "Vegas", that is ok, I am not going all the way from the US to Athens so that I can hear some lounge singer, see a magician, or watch a 'michael jackson show'.

I know the room is tiny. That's a bummer, but I have a room with a balcony. And I only sleep in my room. I shower there too, but I have mentally pre-prepared myself to be bummed out at the size of the shower.

I hear the food is good, but with my itinerary, I can also sample some great local places. And customs. If I wanted a gourmet experience, I might choose another line. Mostly, I happily eat whatever is placed by me.

Even people with gripes against the line say the staff is superb. Good service from the staff is about all I have come to expect. (i have come to expect not so great service pre-cruise though. I'm ok with that, as long as vacation time is good time!)

I get a whole day in Athens before the Cruise.

Most of the stops, we arrive early (8am) and leave late (10pm). I can actually see the area, explore.

So I am just so freaking ready. Whoever invented the idea of longer times in port, appealing to a customer that doesnt want to be one of 3000 passengers, appealing to a customer that doesnt want to worry about the cost of a soft drink on board, they created this line for people like me. Maybe I will have a great experience on the ship, maybe not. (I hope so), but in a week I get to spend about 168 hours on vacation, and if I choose, 84 of them can be spent seeing the places I have dreamed about seeing for years.

Man o man, how am I supposed to focus on work for the next 9 days!

Marty

Marty, I wish you an fantastic cruise experience. We love Azamara for many of the reasons above. The longer stays in ports, the GREAT crew, and we feel the food is excellent. I will admit that we eat most of our meals in the specialty restaurants, as we have come to know the staff and really really like the food. The 9 days will pass quickly. Bon Voyage

Hi Marty,

I couldn't agree more with the points you make.

Unlike some, we've only done 2 Azamara cruises but have loved them both. they were very different experiences: one was from Shanghai to Hong Kong and had a good number of sea days (and was freezing most of the time, to the point of having snow leaving Incheon) and the other was from Venice to Nice, port intensive and much warmer!

I hope you enjoy your experience, and after that come back for more. The crew are fantastic, and how much room do you need in a shower anyway!

Cheers,

Sue

Marty....you will enjoy this cruise for all the reasons you've mentioned. It's why we have no desire to go on another cruiseline again. Our first cruise on Azamara was out of Athens...we did a bit of island hopping and then up the Adriatic. We were hooked! Long stays in port, overnights, really good food, and wonderful service. As you pointed out...we don't spend a lot of time in our stateroom (although I love to eat breakfast on the balcony and if it's a sea day, sit there and read and watch the ocean) Unfortunately we can't cruise as often as some, but we try to have something to look forward to, even if it's several months ahead.

Have fun and report back.

mare

Hi Marty,

I couldn't agree more with the points you make.

Unlike some, we've only done 2 Azamara cruises but have loved them both. they were very different experiences: one was from Shanghai to Hong Kong and had a good number of sea days (and was freezing most of the time, to the point of having snow leaving Incheon) and the other was from Venice to Nice, port intensive and much warmer!

I hope you enjoy your experience, and after that come back for more. The crew are fantastic, and how much room do you need in a shower anyway!

Cheers,

Sue

Finally, a positive thread, and well deserved praise for Azamara. We too are counting the days until our next cruise, which is in October. My husband and I love everything about Azamara. My best is breakfast on the balcony, just as the sun is coming up. as we sail into port.

Enjoy!!!!!

Edited by cruisedudes

Finally, a positive thread, and well deserved praise for Azamara. We too are counting the days until our next cruise, which is in October. My husband and I love everything about Azamara. My best is breakfast on the balcony, just as the sun is coming up. as we sail into port.

Enjoy!!!!!

My thoughts exactly. I've really been turned off by so many negative threads. :rolleyes:

Marty,

You will have a wonderful cruise and you are so correct in your thinking. We've only done 2 cruises...never had the desire to cruise after seeing so many cruise pax on islands we were visiting and staying at resorts where they rented beach space for the day.

Our first cruise was Azamara and it got us, hook, line and sinker. Our 2nd cruise was an X cruise and while it was very nice, we did not have the longer days in port and no overnight stays. The food did not compare to Azamara either. Wait until you taste the Gelato....to die for, not to mention all the other wonderful food. White night party is wonderful with great food and to die for escargot. :D

Honestly, we did not mind the size of the cabin and we did have our balcony for added space when we were in the cabin which was not too often.

I do hope you will report back once you've returned. I'm excited for you.

I feel the same way about the experience, Marty, and it's absolutely delightful to hear the sheer joy that rings out in your post. And isn't that what it's about, to be joyful? Life's too short not to feel it! When you get on the Quest they'll tell you "Quest Is Best." Believe it. :D

Enjoy your cruise, we are just back from our first Azamara cruise in a smaller room after many in larger rooms/suites (I've told our story in the thread Islands and Tapas). We did not really notice the room size because we were having such a good time on board

The only negative I wish to report is my travelling jeans hurt on the flight home - these pesky chefs .......:D

Look after Quest.......in under 4 weeks she is MINE

Edited by uktog

Azamara has all the things that make a cruise very nice. The relaxed atmosphere with great service makes Azamara a special place. No formal nights are a plus for us. Fewer people on a smaller ship that visits ports not available to larger ships. Overnight stays allow you to really explore a port. No worrying about time limitations if you overnight. It also gives you the freedom to have dinner in some wonderful places. My spouse is busy getting info on the ports that we will visit on our next cruise.....including restaurants. Since 3 of our ports are in France including overnight stays, we will be looking for places to dine. On previous Azamara cruises, some of the meals that we ate off the ship were special. We had fabulous meals in Rouen and St. Malo.

After my first Azamara cruise in 2009, I thought that I would never be happy again on a large ship. Not so. I have sailed on many ships much larger than Azamara. My recent cruise on the Eclipse was excellent. I have also cruised on smaller ships that were very nice. Windstar and Seabourn are fabulous.

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise. Have a great time.

Thanks all:

I will def try the shower in the spa.

I will surely order room service at least once to enjoy on my balcony.

And I always do long reviews (and include photos when I can) after the vacation. Writing it helps me to remember it all. (and tips I provide are a way to pay it forward for all the information I got off these boards).

OP if you are reading this go use the spa shower in locker room. anyone can sue the steam and shower there. they are bigger and have great jets

Is there shampoo and soap in the spa shower or do you have to bring your own? Thanks.

Thanks all:

And I always do long reviews (and include photos when I can) after the vacation. Writing it helps me to remember it all. (and tips I provide are a way to pay it forward for all the information I got off these boards).

Enjoy your holiday! With your positive attitude I am sure you will have a good time.

According to the Azamara website, your cruise is sold out in all categories except suites. I can see why, since the itinerary is very appealing. I am looking forward to your review since all the ports are new to me and ones I hope to visit in the future.

Bon voyage!

Thanks all:

Marty, will you do me a favor and take a photo of the Sunset Bar table settings? When we were on the Quest at Christmas the tables in both the Sunset Bar and Windows Cafe were always set with a placemat, water glass and wine glass. It was the prettiest thing ever and in the Cafe made it feel like a true restaurant rather than a buffet. (I was so taken by it that I took photos and put them in my trip report. ;) ) On the Journey the tables were set plainly with little of the pizzazz shown on her sister ship. I guess I'm curious to know if the Quest tables were lavishly set because it was Christmas season, and it was a fluke, or whether that's the way it always is. Goofy request but will you take a look? Thanks!

Marty, Oh how I wish we were on the ship again. Our Azamara cruise last month was only our second cruise and didn't like the first big ship and adored Azamara!! Don't even waste a thought about cabin or bathroom size. Both are laid out well with more than enough storage space. We loved every port but wished we had one more sea days just to enjoy the ship a little more. When we got home, I sadly missed my late afternoon latte and goodies from the Mosaic cafe. You'll love the relaxed feeling of the ship and the amazing staff from all levels!! Looking forward to your report!! Dottie

Is there shampoo and soap in the spa shower or do you have to bring your own? Thanks.

I bring my own conditioner

as it makes my hair a little curlier than theirs.. two showers and each different,. The steam is good too. if not hot enough tel lhtem. i find hte next day mugh hoter. I order room service every cruise.. somedays from eating on tour i have the tuna wrap. ask for fries or you will get American chips.

I am so with you! It's all I can think about right now. Leaving for Athens on the 18th, but I wish it was tonight instead.

Leaving on the 19th arriving on the 20th. First time on Azamara. Have sailed her sister ships with Oceania and love the size. Oceania had shower curtains in the bathroom and they really weren't a problem. Yes, the showers are tiny but we aren't big people.

Hi Marty,

We too are on your cruise and are beginning to get excited.

Have you signed up for the meet & mingle from the roll call? I can't remember who's on there now but it will be great to meet everyone.

We sailed on Azamara in 2011 and absolutely loved it, not one negative memory, so we are just longing to be back on board.

See you there!

Mick & Arlene

Thanks for the positive feedback. Sometimes the message boards can be a bit daunting, especially for an 'over researcher' like me. (I take my vacations very serious! )

Din929, I will take a photo of the place settings for sure. I had read your reviews (and seen the photos), and to say 'I owe you one' is an understatement. Reviews with Photos are the best! (at least I think it was yours.....I think it was one review in 6-7 parts?)

Readingfast, yes, we are signed up for the meet and greet. See you then!

Thanks for the positive feedback. Sometimes the message boards can be a bit daunting, especially for an 'over researcher' like me. (I take my vacations very serious! )

Din929, I will take a photo of the place settings for sure. I had read your reviews (and seen the photos), and to say 'I owe you one' is an understatement. Reviews with Photos are the best! (at least I think it was yours.....I think it was one review in 6-7 parts?)

Readingfast, yes, we are signed up for the meet and greet. See you then!

Yes, that was my Quest report. That was the only cruise we've ever taken where we walked off on the last day feeling so incredibly relaxed and happy you'd think we'd just exited from the massage room. :D Most cruises exhaust me with the go, go, go of constant activity--like in a really nice way of course, but when they're done you need a vacation from your vacation! The Quest was different. The pace on board was exactly right and we felt very pampered and well looked after. The Quest really does have the very top billing of all my cruises (and yes, I've loved them all).

Yes, that was my Quest report. ).

Yes, you set the bar on 'how to do a helpful cruise review' and I even showed my wife the photos. The way I found it was I searched my cabin (6087) and somehow found your cruise review. It really should be somehow featured, because I stumbled on it by accident. A picture is worth a thousand words, though your words were pretty dang funny too.

That was one of the reviews where I went "yes, this is how you do a review that people can use". Thank you for that!