Need help with flight to Venice

Pearl64

I have tried to research flight options for our cruise that leaves Venice. We are flying to Venice arriving May 21, 2016, and flying from Istanbul on June 5. We can use Atlanta, GSP, or Charlotte as beginning and ending point. Atlanta will probably be the cheapest. We have credit cards with United and Delta but do not have enough miles unless we buy some for an award flight. We probably have to book economy due to cost. The main item I am trying to figure out is the flight back from Istanbul in coach. That is a long time in an uncomfortable seat. I see prices all over the place from $1566 on Turkish Airlines for both of us together(yes, I have read the negatives about Turkish air) to $2376 for one person on Swiss Air. I am not opposed to a stopover on the way home to break up the trip but not sure where we can do that. I also need guidance on how long should we plan a stop so we can get our next flight. I personally like at least 4 hours. Stops seem to be CDG, AMS, FRA, MUNICH, and LHR. While cost is a factor, just to get a cheap flight but be uncomfortable to the point of unbearable is not worth it. Delta seems to have the best times and connections and the cost is $1304 per person in economy. routes are ATL-JFK_VCE and IST-ATL. I do not want a layover of 10-12 hours. That is absurd unless we could stay over for a couple of days. I have looked at Virgin Atlantic, Aer Lingus but I can't get the entire way unless I call. I just want to find out my possibilities. I did check American but that price is almost as much as United and I have no miles affiliation plus it connects through Philadelphia(which I want to avoid) and LHR(another I want to avoid on a connection).

I know aircraft makes a difference also but airlines can change those at any time. We prefer the 2 seats by either window but can do two aisles. They also do not need to be together. They can be close--a couple of rows from each other if it makes it easier.

I did use the ITA software but I was just as confused. I would like some suggestions as to routing, airline, connection time, possible stopovers. I know you folks are a tough bunch but you usually have the answers. I hope I have given enough information for you. There will be two of us--both over 65!

Thank you to all who respond.

Pearl

A few thoughts to help focus your search:

-How many miles exactly do you have with United and/or Delta? Is it possible to fly one-way with each on miles? Any CC bonuses available to you to bump up your mile total?

-In terms of routing, consider whether flying to MXP (Milan) would give you better flights/times. For instance, there's a non-stop ATL-MXP flight on Delta - then you just have to take the train to Venice.

-Lots of people are down on LHR as a connection airport; personally I've never had any issues there, and certainly would make a great stopover for a couple of days if you want.

-Some airlines - Turkish Airlines, British Airways and Air France, for example - have a Premium Economy product, making the journey that much more comfortable (this is different to UA/DL with their 'economy comfort' sections, which are just economy seating with a little more legroom). Look into whether this would be in your price range.

I second Twickemham's advice and offer these additional thoughts:

- Turkish Air was very pleasant and if you end up with a long enough layover in Istanbul they will provide you with a city tour for free...or it it is overnight, they will provide you a hotel room for free.

- It sounds like you might have the freedom to add some days on at the beginning or end. If that is the case, in addition to Milan as Twick mentioned, consider Rome (FCO) also. It is a short 3.5 hour train ride from Venice to Rome.

Thanks for the responses so far. Price wise they are the same whether we go to Milan or Venice. Milan is a consideration though. We do have flexibility for coming earlier and staying later. Coming home on Monday June 6 might end up being cheaper. I almost have enough miles on United for business class one way. I am lacking about 10,000 miles which I could buy. My husband on the other hand needs about30,000. Delta requires many more miles. There might be a possibility of using some of my Starwood points to get miles for me but then there is my husband. I might like to think I could be in business class or first as he sits in steerage but I think not. I am looking at using miles one way and paying the other. Not sure if that is possible.

I also need to know the minimum amount of time needed to connect in CDG, MUnICH, FRA, or AMS. Would we need to go through passport control if we did not stop over in Europe? We could spend time in either Munich or Paris but not sure how to do that.

I still have time but the more I search the more confused I get. Any other suggestions? One choice had us overnighting in Chicago on the way home. Certainly there would be a short flight to get home.

Again, thank you for responses so far.

Pearl

- Turkish Air was very pleasant and if you end up with a long enough layover in Istanbul they will provide you with a city tour for free...or it it is overnight, they will provide you a hotel room for free.

Istanbul is their city of departure on the way home, not a connecting city, so they will not have the opportunity for any of these airline-sponsored layover perks.

Istanbul is their city of departure on the way home, not a connecting city, so they will not have the opportunity for any of these airline-sponsored layover perks.

Could it be a connection point on the the way to VCE??

Agreed....tough to both originate and connect at the same airport (though I did once get a DL ticket that went SEA-PDX-SEA-ATL-XXX. Not sure how the computer spit it out but I took the miles)

We disembarked in Venice two years ago. We took the opportunity to fly out of Milan and we're glad that we did. We trained to Milan, then spent some time in the ItLian Lake District...very nice. Plus, Milan is a good hub and can easily be reached by a direct train from the town.

We often book multi city trips but not necessarily on the same airline. We cherry pick. Not just to get good flights and fares but also to have an opportunity for a 'free' stopover in another city.

Next week we fly direct to Athens from Toronto, where we are currently visiting. Instead of returning, we snagged a great fare on a direct flight from Paris to Calgary, our home. We then got a low cost fare from Crete to Paris. So we get a few days in Paris. Plus on our Greek Island tour we do not have to go all the way back to Athens. We saved money and extended our vacation trip by shopping for the most attractive ( to us ) fare/route combos. We did the sane last fall. Flew one wat to Vienna on reward tickets. Flew home from Barcelona on a very attractive cruise fare one way fare.

Edited by iancal

Pearl - also look at flying into Rome (FCO). It is sometimes very difficult to find saver award tickets to Europe on UA. If you like to gamble though, I notice often availability really opens up about two weeks in advance.

People are down on LHR because of the Air Passenger Duty I would imagine.

Hi Pearl. You are lucky to be asking about miles for United right now. United mileage sale continues until August 31, 2015. You can buy additional miles for an award ticket at 20 -50% off. I charge to my credit card and get additional miles awarded for the money spent. Chase Sapphire and Chase United Mileage credit cards often have big bonus and points are added 1:1 to your mileage account.

Here is what I think about long flights (over 65 with legs that swell and back that aches etc!:eek:). When planning a trip to Europe, I clear my head and think about getting a good deal over the pond! Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Brussels and Dublin all are sort of "gateways". See what ITA says is a cheaper price. If you are going United, go to the redeem mileage page and put in lots of combinations of cities in US and cities in Europe looking for saver fares. Once you get a lowdown on what is available ask yourself what is important -- arrival date, length of flight, cost, comfort, airline points etc. Make lists of possible segments shifting various factors. It is really much like a puzzle and the prize is the best set of seats for you that is possible.

I know that United economy plus is not what premium economy is on European lines but it is much cheaper also -- some lines the premium economy is as much as double the economy price. Economy plus (cheap) is only on United flying stock -- operated by UA and we have in the past been allowed to pay for E+ with an award economy ticket.

Stopover is less than 24 hours and stopover is MORE than 24 hours before continuing. If it is a LONG flight, I have lately been looking for a break city with a very long stopover (10 to 23 hours between flights) where I can go to an airport hotel to relax have a bath and sleep and food before going on to the next segment. I sometimes plan with a city of friend or relative to have dinner with. Breaks the torture but you do have to handle your luggage and security. Also your starting city -- sometimes can drive or fly to another airport and get a better deal. If have to fly in US does it matter where so much. In winter will not go Midwest or north because of weather chances.

Thinking of all these things as parts of a puzzle that can be arranged in many ways is part of the fun of travel planning for me -- hope I have helped you think about your trip and start to get your priorities in order. Thinking out of the box can save you some money.

For instance, there's a non-stop ATL-MXP flight on Delta - then you just have to take the train to Venice.

We did that train ride in 2013. A very pleasant ride...I think it was about two hours for about €130 in First Class; about €108 in coach. Take the First Class if you have luggage.

There is much food for thought here. It is indeed a puzzle. We like the idea of going to Milan with the nonstop flight on Delta. We probably have enough miles if I cash in some miles from my Starwood account. We would need to buy miles to have enough for my husband-- like about 12,000 miles. Okay that gets us there. Then we can fly home on United . I am about 2000 miles short for a business class ticket, but we would need to buy about 30,000 for my husband to fly business. I have not checked into availability though. With United's mile sale, this is doable. I looked into stopping in Munich on the way home. In economy it would cost us $2300 apiece to do that plus the extra expense in Munich. I hesitate to use Choiceair as they are non refundable. Plus they are not saving us any money. I have an additional concern if the cruise line changes the disembarkation point. If I make the airfare I have control and can pay the change fee which hopefully insurance would cover. I have read that Choiceair does not handle glitches well.

I am using the multiple destination section on the airlines. One way flights are

astronomical unless they are award flights.

Still researching and welcome any other thoughts.

Pearl

I booked these exact flights through Choice Air last year. We got prices the same as if I booked through Expedia. They did offer flights that were not nonrefundable, but those flights were about $400 per person more expensive.

I had looked into booking direct with the airline, and the flights were significantly more.

Booking with points sounds good if you have enough. Good luck!

its not much, but when you're looking at flights, if there are multiple flights in a day, check the prices for the different times.

We're flying back from BCN in October with BA, connecting at LHR to get home to YYZ(I don't mind connecting there). When I selected the first flight from BCN-LHR, I didn't really care for the price, it was at the upper limit of what I had budgeted. Then I realized DH wouldn't thank me for making him get up at 3am :eek:to go to the airport, so I switched the flight to a mid morning departure. I expected the price to go up.

It didn't, it brought down the cost for the entire booking by $500 total.

I'm not an expert, don't even play one on TV ;), so I can't really explain why the pricing changed that much, but I'm happy to take it.