Go Big, Go Better, Go Best Expiry?

broszak

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before but through my searches I can't find any information.

Does anyone know when the current Go Big, Go Better, Go Best promotion will end? Nothing is stated on the Celebrity website or the fine print as to when it will end, all I know is it's for cruises that sail from October 2015 and onwards.

Regards

I believe this is going to be their fare structure from now on, unless they figure out that they're losing bookings because people aren't happy with the higher prices and the faux "savings" that those who are savvy know is really not a savings, but just plain higher prices.

I believe this is going to be their fare structure from now on, unless they figure out that they're losing bookings because people aren't happy with the higher prices and the faux "savings" that those who are savvy know is really not a savings, but just plain higher prices.

Huh...I booked the 2/16-16 to the Virgin Islands on the Connie and it seemed like a really good deal to me. Especially with the drinks thrown in.

I still don't understand the claim the Go Big hides higher charges. The charges are what they are (and Celebrity like all cruise lines coming out of the Great Recession is planning to raise fares). But Go Big just rolls in the gratuities (if you choose that option), which you had to pay anyway. Since we do Select dining, we always had to pay them as part of the fare -- so this is no change. It actually saves me from doing one bit of math, since I always had to add the port fees + gratuities to figure out what the real minimum cost of the cruise was going to be.

Huh...I booked the 2/16-16 to the Virgin Islands on the Connie and it seemed like a really good deal to me. Especially with the drinks thrown in.

Regardless of what people think, you're not getting any of the perks for free, or thrown in. You're paying for it in your fare, the same way people paid for the 1-2-3 Go perks. Sure, there are some deals to be had, but when I see what we paid for our January, 2016 cruise on Equinox before this BBB, and what they're charging now for the same cruise, but under the new promo, the new fares are more than $900 per person higher for just the Go Big, much less than for the Go Better or Go Best. That's not a bargain.

Reading all the fine print, I believe it can be safely said, the BBB thingy is more a different promotion than a new and improved rate structure.

My understanding is that BBB is the new fare structure, and is here to stay. Until they reinvent it, of course!

What will be interesting to see is whether they layer promotions on top of BBB, eg pay for Big and get Better; book a Concierge cabin or above and get Best for the Big price.

Where it could be more transparent if they keep this structure in place permanently and when they need a promotion just cut the Go Big fare (as the others track off it).

Or they cut the up charge for Better and Best as some Travel Agents are already doing!

It seems that drink package threads are the new dress code threads. With the emphasis on drink packages and apparently the sucess of the 123-go and pick your perk promo Celebrity has built a pricing structure to model these promos. Have prices gone up? Probably, but so has the price of milk, eggs and utilities. The bottom line is that there is just so much disposible income and if the cruise price seems unaffordable then the ships won't fill and prices will change accordingly. Now if you don't drink anything but what's included in the fare, don't spend on board,don't use internet and remove gratuity then this structure will not work for you. I think the only ones this doesn't benefit are the Elites and above if they are not spending more than what's included in their perks.

I still don't understand the claim the Go Big hides higher charges. The charges are what they are (and Celebrity like all cruise lines coming out of the Great Recession is planning to raise fares). But Go Big just rolls in the gratuities (if you choose that option), which you had to pay anyway. Since we do Select dining, we always had to pay them as part of the fare -- so this is no change. It actually saves me from doing one bit of math, since I always had to add the port fees + gratuities to figure out what the real minimum cost of the cruise was going to be.

Wouldn't they roll in the highest costing perk into the Go Big price (likely the drink package)? The Go Big isn't dependent on which perk you pick (at least I haven't noticed a reduction if you pick a lesser costing perk).

As far as future promotions are concerned my guess they will use the same "sale" promotions that Royal used to do with their WOW sales - reduced deposit and additional OBC, no actual reduced price.

Time will tell if BBB stays without being undercut by other promotions.

No doubt that Celebrity will implement different promotions while maintaining the BBB price structure/bundle approach. I would think the Travel Agents like it a lot because of the commissions on the bundles. As long as Celebrity's prices remains competive with other cruise lines the new cruisers will probably not know the difference.

Therefore I am not sure "undercut" is the right way to describe what is surely going to happen. Perhaps "enhanced".

Of course the bundled BBB approach could fail and be totally eliminated some time in the future, but it certainly matches the Corporate strategy.

Personally the 123 all inclusive was my favorite and I felt I was getting a better deal. I will not know for sure until I see the new BBB prices when the next group of cruises are released for booking as I always book early. January 2018 as I have already booked January 2017 under the 123 all inclusive.

Personally the 123 all inclusive was my favorite and I felt I was getting a better deal. I will not know for sure until I see the new BBB prices when the next group of cruises are released for booking as I always book early. January 2018 as I have already booked January 2017 under the 123 all inclusive.

I agree not only did I book with the 3 perks I was also able to take advantage of a sale in March which saved me an additional $200 off of the price.

It seems that the only good deal without "paying" for any perks is when X is offering 55+ , or residential specials - most of them are after final payment.

As long X will dangle " free" beverage package in front of the customer - bookings will stay. In a lot of people minds " free drinks" are very magnetic factor to book a cruise.

I did purchase the Go Best package for my upcoming cruise to Alaska on board the Solstice in July 2016. For me, it was a great deal. A little cheaper then the cruise I hand originally booked on the Explorer of the Seas for the same time period and similar ports. My basic cabin rate along with taxes and port fees and the additional Go Best cost came out to be about $20.00 less per person on the Solstice.

On the Explorer, the basic wine package would have cost me nearly $300 extra per person in additional fees; plus, tips still needed to be paid.

The $150 per person on board credit included in the Go Best promotion is another bonus, as well as the included internet on the Solstice.

Yes, I did come out ahead by switching to Celebrity Solstice for our cruise.

I just don't get the belly-aching about the much higher prices and how X will price themselves out of the market. Yes, there are some itineraries that carry a much higher daily fare. But I just priced today 3 cruises with mid-level ocean view balcony...Silhouette, HAL Eurodam and RCCL Allure of the Seas for Western Caribbean. Results as follows:

• Silhouette vs. Allure - X price included Drink package, $200 OBC, a free upgrade and reduced deposit. Allure is $116 pp more with NO drink package, no upgrade and only $175 OBC.

• Silhouette vs. Eurodam - Again, X price included Drink package, $200 OBC, a free upgrade and reduced deposit. Eurodam is $147pp more and does include their drink package, dinner for 2 in one specialty restaurant and only $50 OBC.

So, that is not too bad when compared to competition.

Edited by blueboro

It does for me. :) That said, if the difference between an Inside Cabin and Ocean View cabin is greater than a drinks package, then I would go that route.

It seems that the only good deal without "paying" for any perks is when X is offering 55+ , or residential specials - most of them are after final payment.

As long X will dangle " free" beverage package in front of the customer - bookings will stay. In a lot of people minds " free drinks" are very magnetic factor to book a cruise.

Wouldn't they roll in the highest costing perk into the Go Big price (likely the drink package)? The Go Big isn't dependent on which perk you pick (at least I haven't noticed a reduction if you pick a lesser costing perk).

The cost of the beverage package isn't necessarily the same as its value (to a particular passenger), whereas the gratuities are worth the same to everybody (except those who stiff the crew -- Daddy Warbucks can still tip extra :)). For DW and me the Beverage package is worth very little, so we choose Gratuities and evaluate the cost of the cruise on that basis.

The cost of the beverage package isn't necessarily the same as its value (to a particular passenger), whereas the gratuities are worth the same to everybody (except those who stiff the crew -- Daddy Warbucks can still tip extra :)). For DW and me the Beverage package is worth very little, so we choose Gratuities and evaluate the cost of the cruise on that basis.

I realize that the perk(s) chosen will the ones of value to the passenger. However, when Celebrity prices the cruise I assume they would add the cost of the most expensive perk to the go big price.

I realize that the perk(s) chosen will the ones of value to the passenger. However, when Celebrity prices the cruise I assume they would add the cost of the most expensive perk to the go big price.

From what I can see from when I booked my cruise, the base price (stateroom/cabin price) was the same no matter what package you purchased. Port fees and taxes were added, then the Go Best package pricing. The basic room price remained the same.

Now was the base price inflated? Could have been, but I was happy with the base price, so adding $315 for tips, up-graded drink package, and unlimited internet plus $150 on board credit. Yes, I would pay that, even knowing that I will in all probability only use the internet for maybe 10 minuets during the cruise, if that. If fact, I cancelled my cruise on the Explorer to Alaska, and switched to Celebrity because the base price of my Celebrity cruise with the additional Go Best up charge was still cheaper then the base price of the cabin alone on the Explorer with Royal Caribbean. Plus, I get $150 on board spending credit.

Edited by sleepless

After running the numbers our agent offered us a cruise minus the "smoke and mirrors" .And along with her obc, we can cover our tips and drinks and have money left.

Just work the numbers, people. Had we picked the go big..drink package and then decided on tips, (go better ) those $350 tips would have cost us over $400. Where's the sense in that? I can't imagine seasoned X cruisers aren't smart enough to figure this out.:rolleyes: