Be there for your Meet and Greet!

D&J38

We checked out the roll call for our Norwegian Jewel cruise going to Alaska on June 6. One of the gentlemen on the roll call very graciously arranged a meet-and-greet for us for the day after embarkation, in Le Bistro (the ship determines when and where you'll do it). We expected over 50 people, but only about 15 showed up! MANY of the senior staff from the ship were there to introduce themselves and welcome us, and a very nice table of delicious cookies, water, juice, tea and coffee was prepared, complete with decorated cantaloupe. I thought the ship's staff did an amazing job for us, and it was embarrassing that there were so few of us to appreciate it. (Granted bingo was starting at the same time. :)) It's also just really nice to meet some of your fellow passengers like that right away, so you'll have someone to say "hi" to when you see them, or maybe sit with at the shows.

The hotel head, Steven Jacobsen, mentioned that they DO read what we write on Cruise Critic, and I must say he was very visible all over the ship, all the time, and very responsive. We signed a guest book with our cabin number at the meet-and-greet, and I swear we got really nice seating in Tsar's Palace (the main dining room) every time, even though we were usually NOT dressed up, and I'll always wonder if we got flagged somehow as being Cruise Critic members!

Janice

We checked out the roll call for our Norwegian Jewel cruise going to Alaska on June 6. One of the gentlemen on the roll call very graciously arranged a meet-and-greet for us for the day after embarkation, in Le Bistro (the ship determines when and where you'll do it). We expected over 50 people, but only about 15 showed up! MANY of the senior staff from the ship were there to introduce themselves and welcome us, and a very nice table of delicious cookies, water, juice, tea and coffee was prepared, complete with decorated cantaloupe. I thought the ship's staff did an amazing job for us, and it was embarrassing that there were so few of us to appreciate it. (Granted bingo was starting at the same time. :)) It's also just really nice to meet some of your fellow passengers like that right away, so you'll have someone to say "hi" to when you see them, or maybe sit with at the shows.

The hotel head, Steven Jacobsen, mentioned that they DO read what we write on Cruise Critic, and I must say he was very visible all over the ship, all the time, and very responsive. We signed a guest book with our cabin number at the meet-and-greet, and I swear we got really nice seating in Tsar's Palace (the main dining room) every time, even though we were usually NOT dressed up, and I'll always wonder if we got flagged somehow as being Cruise Critic members!

Janice

That's unusual that so little who signed up showed up. They actually figure 20% of those that sign up won't show. They get involved in something that's going on at the same time as the Meet and Greet or they simply forget about it.

I have to say that I had 49 people sign up for my meet and greet last week and I had 41 people show. That is unusual. Again, they don't 'not show' on purpose but one never knows what the ship has scheduled at the same time as the Meet and Greet. Lots of times it's Bingo and lots of times it's the Platinum Behind the Scene Tour....or something else! LOL

Harriet

Last December, on the Epic, it's true that the M&G was scheduled at the same time as the Platinum ship tour. There were at least six of us on the tour who had signed up for the M&G. Not sure if that is done on purpose or just because there were not enough hours in the day to schedule them separately. We were disappointed to miss the M&G, but that possibility was discussed on the roll call.

Both the M&G I've organized had about 50% attend. Can be a real downer if you've done things like printing nametags.

But it beats the alternative of not knowing/meeting anyone, and feeling you're all alone on a big ship.

We have missed many Platinum BTS tours cuz they have conflicted with the CC M&G. Given the choice I will go to the CC M&G every time but it is disappointing.

I've hosted many a M&G, make up my own name tags with the name of the ship and photo, date of the cruise, ports visited, name of the person as well as their CC name. Great way to know who couldn't make it. LOL

I've learned from the past and now always ask the group organizer WHEN the Platinum Behind the Scene tour is. If it conflicts with the M&G I ask them to change the day/time of one or the other. So far, my request has been granted on the last 3 M&G's I've hosted in the last year or so.

Harriet

Could it be that all the heated arguments here, with the name calling and strident opinions about NCL, be affecting the attendance at the meet and greets?

I certainly know I will never attend one that includes some of the people here. I've "met" them already and certainly don't want to deal with them during my vacation. If they show up on the roll call, I won't be at the M&G.

We were B2B on the Jade in February. I dutifully shuffled off to the first M&G as I'd co-ordinated a few private tours and felt it important to see-and-be-seen.

Mission accomplished. Most of the people who joined my wife on tour were suh interesting amazing people.

So pleased we did not sign up for the second M&G. The guy who did the first one is brilliant and personable. He tried his best to keep it moving, but there was a long script to follow, and as the mic was passed around it really dragged.

I saw no use applauding the ship's officers; nobody applauds me for doing my job. Further, in hindsight the one time I actually needed help from one of them, the Accessibility Co-ordinator, she was as useful as a snowsuit in Saudi Arabia. If I'd gone to the second M&G, I would have heckled her.

One other note: I'm told the M&G I didn't sign up for was very poorly attended. One possible reason is that it wasn't until day 7 of the cruise, as days 2-6 were all port days.

Could it be that all the heated arguments here, with the name calling and strident opinions about NCL, be affecting the attendance at the meet and greets?

I certainly know I will never attend one that includes some of the people here. I've "met" them already and certainly don't want to deal with them during my vacation. If they show up on the roll call, I won't be at the M&G.

I would NEVER give anyone here my real name, or give them my CC name at a meet and greet. Way too many crazies!

I've hosted many a M&G, make up my own name tags with the name of the ship and photo, date of the cruise, ports visited, name of the person as well as their CC name. Great way to know who couldn't make it. LOL

I've learned from the past and now always ask the group organizer WHEN the Platinum Behind the Scene tour is. If it conflicts with the M&G I ask them to change the day/time of one or the other. So far, my request has been granted on the last 3 M&G's I've hosted in the last year or so.

Harriet

Thank you Harriet, I am so GLAD you said this.

Last year we were on the Breakaway for a B2B (Bahamas then Bermuda; this was the FIRST time we were sailing as Platinum. When I discovered that the tour was scheduled for an hour before our Meet and Greet, which I organized, we had to skip the tour. There were many that didn't show, now I am realizing why. When it was scheduled again for the same time the next week, we skipped the tour again, but was really bummed.

Harriet, you are my HERO :D

Thanks again,

Tina and Fred

:)

I would NEVER give anyone here my real name, or give them my CC name at a meet and greet. Way too many crazies!

That was part of the drill... mic gets passed around and everyone introduces himself by real name and CC handle...

We've organised many m&g with ncl. Lots of people say they are coming and then it coincides with bingo, teen sign up and the platinum tour. We too ask them not to make it the same time as the tour and so far they have made sure this happens.

It does take some work to plan, make tags etc and it's all voluntary but it does get disappointing when 50 say they are coming and 15 turn up. Although we've also had 29 say they are coming and 100 show.

That makes you one too!;)

I can understand not being comfortable to give the the real name, but why not the CC name???!!! What is someone going to do to you if they know your CC name??

We've organised many m&g with ncl. Lots of people say they are coming and then it coincides with bingo, teen sign up and the platinum tour. We too ask them not to make it the same time as the tour and so far they have made sure this happens.

It does take some work to plan, make tags etc and it's all voluntary but it does get disappointing when 50 say they are coming and 15 turn up. Although we've also had 29 say they are coming and 100 show.

I know it's lots of work to plan the M & G but I have read that there are really nice perks given to the organizer by NCL. (I too would volunteer but it seems someone is always very wiling to volunteer very early on.) Unless you book far ahead you don't get to volunteer to do the M & G.

The last couple of M & G I attended were really boring. Once you hear the talks from the ships reps (they do seem to repeat a lot of the same info) it's really a waste of time when the organizer does nothing else. I have sat at a table by myself and there was no effort made to introduce anyone or get any of the group to mingle at all. Considering the really nice perks the organizers receive, a little more effort would have been appreciated.

Not sure if these dull M & G are the norm but I have been very disappointed in the last few I attended.

Edited by mexico8

Maybe some people have had perks but I wouldn't assume everyone does. We certainly haven't. I understand it's down to the ship and staff if they do anything. I can say that we've done over 10 between 2 families and I think once the whole group of about 40 were invited by the captain to the bridge on top of the gift exchange, slot pulls, cabin crawls etc we arranged. Sorry yours were boring but there isn't a prescription of what the organiser should and shouldn't do. Maybe you could jump in on your roll call next time to ensure that there are fun things organised and you could help make them happen. I'm sure the organiser would welcome some assistance.

I know it's lots of work to plan the M & G but I have read that there are really nice perks given to the organizer by NCL. (I too would volunteer but it seems someone is always very wiling to volunteer very early on.) Unless you book far ahead you don't get to volunteer to do the M & G.

The last couple of M & G I attended were really boring. Once you hear the talks from the ships reps (they do seem to repeat a lot of the same info) it's really a waste of time when the organizer does nothing else. I have sat at a table by myself and there was no effort made to introduce anyone or get any of the group to mingle at all. Considering the really nice perks the organizers receive, a little more effort would have been appreciated.

Not sure if these dull M & G are the norm but I have been very disappointed in the last few I attended.

I found that its hard to get people to mingle. Everyone sits there looking at each other. My husband hates these things but goes because I insist lol and then we talk to no one! I think we talk more to the people at the slot pull!

I have met amazing people at all of my M&G's.

If you don't like these boards then don't visit same for the Meet and greets.

I found that its hard to get people to mingle. Everyone sits there looking at each other. My husband hates these things but goes because I insist lol and then we talk to no one! I think we talk more to the people at the slot pull!

My DH is the one who loves mingling and being the center of attention. I am the total opposite but I do things that I wouldn't think of in my normal life so that it forces me to break out of my shell. I guess I don't mind doing this as most likely will never see these people again. I have been the coordinator for several M&G and this is one way to meet people. However I do let DH be the host/spokesman for the group.;) But we have met a couple on a cruise that we became friends with and even make sure to go have lunch or something with them while we are visiting relatives in Texas. I jsut remembered that we stayed a week in Florida after one cruise and they were in town so we spent New Years Eve with them. :D So you just never know unless you put yourself out there.

I actually have never attended a slot pull but I think that it would be a lot more informal and people would talk more as they are rooting the players on.

On our TA last fall, the M&G was the springboard for the rest of the cruise. People put together a number of events thru the Roll Call; Murder Mystery, Cabin Crawl, gift exchange, etc and the M&G was where we got all the info on later events. We also connected with three other couples that wanted to dine with others in the evening and made some great friends. Also connected with a couple that wanted to go snorkeling at St Thomas on their own so we shared a taxi later. I am not a big people person but the M&G was a great way to start the cruise.

Before our first cruise there was a woman on CC who really got under my skin. I knew she would be on the ship but thought I probably would never see her. When we arrived at the port in NOLA I went to the ladies room and guess who was there complete with name tag! So no Meet & Greet for us.

There is misinformation about the perks given for hosting a M&G. Sometimes there are some perks and most times there are not. However, because of the misinformation everyone seems to want to host the M&G. One should only host because they enjoy doing so and not for getting 'anything back' but for the 'thank you's' from the CC guests who attend.

I agree there's part responsibility of the Host to get things moving but how do you KNOW for a fact that the host of the M&G received perks? And...one can't put it all on the Host. The CC members also have to get up and move around and introduce themselves to others, mingle, etc. Why I wish there were never any tables and chairs at M&G's.

I'm sorry you have been disappointing. The main reason for a M&G is for CC members to get to know other CC members who are sailing on their cruise with them. What effort did *you* make to mingle with others, introduce yourself with others, bring up a conversation with others, etc.?

Harriet

The meet and greet on our Pride of America trip was scheduled at 3pm on embarkation day, due to there being no sea days. There were about 40 people signed up. We were late getting on the ship because of a taxi mixup so we rushed through lunch in order to get there on time. At exactly 3pm we got there and there were only 6 people there besides the 7 officers. How embarrassing. The coordinator of the M&G wasn't even there until 3:15pm. Eventually maybe 20 people showed up.

On another note, the coordinator of the M&G mentioned on the roll call that he was upgraded to a balcony from an oceanview. We had a guaranteed inside and because prices went down, I called my TA and she was able to get the exact cabin he left. Every night, there was some goodies left in our cabin from chocolate strawberries to a bottle of wine. We also got an invite to the latitudes party, even though this was our first NCL cruise. So I really think these were meant for him because he set up the M&G but someone didn't know his cabin was changed.