Be there for your Meet and Greet!

D&J38

Possibly NCL are more generous to the coordinators of the M & G. I don't know which cruise lines are doling out the perks.

I agree that coordinators should ask for volunteers - they should not be expected to do it all. Most cruises I have taken there were various people involved in planning activities like slot pulls and cabin crawls. One really enjoyable activity on a past cruise was a poker draw that was held on a few evenings and there were many people involved and much socializing at the draw that was held in one of the ships bars.

One M&G they gave away little prizes. Then we had a few days later a slot pull and we met every sea day at 3 to play Left Right Center. Now that was really fun! It ws perfect becasue 3 was my husbands nap time :D

I know this may be a bit off topic but I think I would like to thank NCL for the effort they put in to the M & G's. Every single one I have been to they have put out a very nice spread and the officers have take time out of their day to attend; very nice!

When people say they are going to attend and don't show up (I realize there are always legitimate reasons), I feel kind of bad. NCL has been nothing but generous and kind in regards to the M&G CC schedules.

I am taking a Princess cruise in December and I asked about the M&G on the roll call; Princess does nothing except maybe provide a room, is what I was told, so I appreciate the kind effort NCL makes. I think it may be a common courtesy thing to say you will show up and then do or don't.

(Hi Boopsahoy!! - Caron from the Gem 2013 :D)

I know this may be a bit off topic but I think I would like to thank NCL for the effort they put in to the M & G's. Every single one I have been to they have put out a very nice spread and the officers have take time out of their day to attend; very nice!

When people say they are going to attend and don't show up (I realize there are always legitimate reasons), I feel kind of bad. NCL has been nothing but generous and kind in regards to the M&G CC schedules.

I am taking a Princess cruise in December and I asked about the M&G on the roll call; Princess does nothing except maybe provide a room, is what I was told, so I appreciate the kind effort NCL makes. I think it may be a common courtesy thing to say you will show up and then do or don't.

Caron Hi!!! That was a fun cruise wasn't it? We are going on the Gem in December and Carnival Splendor in 10 days! Hope to cruise with you again:D

Barb

On our first NCL cruise on the Getaway last year, we joined the roll call and attended the M&G, plus a cabin crawl. We went all in and had a blast.

No other experience (except "behind the scenes") allows you to meet the department heads and ask questions in a one-on-one environment ... plus NCL put out some snacks.

True that a lot of name tags were never picked up, but the person who arranged the M&G worked her butt off getting it together ... we even received personalized invitations to the cabin crawl.

We had such a positive experience that we invited others to join us on the Escape on 11/14 and the Epic on 5/14 ... and always speak highly of the M&G experience!

I have never gone onto our roll call and have never been to a M&G. This will be our 1st time, on the BA in August.

Can someone explain what a slot pull, cabin crawl and the poker thing is ? Seems I've been missing out ;)

I have never gone onto our roll call and have never been to a M&G. This will be our 1st time, on the BA in August.

Can someone explain what a slot pull, cabin crawl and the poker thing is ? Seems I've been missing out ;)

Slot pull: Everyone puts in a certain amount of money and everybody takes turns playing the machine one after the other. If you win, you either split the winnings or keep trying for more.

Cabin crawl: Everyone checks out different cabins of others on the roll call. On the one we had, we had everything from an inside cabin to the top suite and pretty much every kind of cabin in between.

Poker: On ours, for ever cabin you visited during the cabin crawl, you received a card and at the end, the one with the best hand wins.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We were supposed to go to the M&G on our last cruise. I really looked forward to doing the slot pull. Unfortunately, the M&G was on a sea day, during a squall, on one of the top decks of the ship. I don't normally get seasick, but even I was huddled down in the atrium with two of my travelling companions who were much sicker than I. There was just no way we were making it that cruise. :(

I agree about the nice time on NCL. It has been awhile since we sailed Princess and the M&G was not attended by officers of the ship. Princess provided foo, beverages, and a room. Cheers to NCL officers for taking time from their busy day to join us.

There is misinformation about the perks given for hosting a M&G. Sometimes there are some perks and most times there are not. However, because of the misinformation everyone seems to want to host the M&G. One should only host because they enjoy doing so and not for getting 'anything back' but for the 'thank you's' from the CC guests who attend.

I agree there's part responsibility of the Host to get things moving but how do you KNOW for a fact that the host of the M&G received perks? And...one can't put it all on the Host. The CC members also have to get up and move around and introduce themselves to others, mingle, etc. Why I wish there were never any tables and chairs at M&G's.

I'm sorry you have been disappointing. The main reason for a M&G is for CC members to get to know other CC members who are sailing on their cruise with them. What effort did *you* make to mingle with others, introduce yourself with others, bring up a conversation with others, etc.?

Harriet

Hi Harriet, I agree with you! It takes involvement by many to have a successful and fun M&G. I remember organizing the M&G on the Sun a few years ago and you organized the slot pull which was so much fun. Hope you still enjoy the sea glass earrings and necklace!

I have organized 4 M&G's. 3 were well attended and one was not. That one was out of New York and the time changed the night before confusing many. At least that's what I heard. I love to meet new people and continue to stay in contact with many from my past cruises.

Hi Harriet, I agree with you! It takes involvement by many to have a successful and fun M&G. I remember organizing the M&G on the Sun a few years ago and you organized the slot pull which was so much fun. Hope you still enjoy the sea glass earrings and necklace!

I have organized 4 M&G's. 3 were well attended and one was not. That one was out of New York and the time changed the night before confusing many. At least that's what I heard. I love to meet new people and continue to stay in contact with many from my past cruises.

Oh my goodness, I always wear those earings and necklace and tell everyone how I got them. That was the best 'gift' I brought home on that cruise! Give my regards to your husband and son!

BTW, was on the Sun in February and hosted the M&G and last week was on the Gem and hosted the M&G.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I agree about the nice time on NCL. It has been awhile since we sailed Princess and the M&G was not attended by officers of the ship. Princess provided foo, beverages, and a room. Cheers to NCL officers for taking time from their busy day to join us.
Celebrity always has had some sort of food and non-alcohol drinks and many officers attend, usually the Captain also attends. On thing Celebrity does that I like, is that we sign up on Cruise Critic and then Celebrity send invites to our cabin. On the Crystal meet and greets I've attended, there was hors d'oeuvres and alcoholic drinks and all the officers usually attend.

I did this once or twice but depending on how many people are there it can take forever. What I've found is it's interesting for them to say where they are from and WHY they choose their CC handle! That's always interesting. More so, if you have a very active roll call because at the point of sailing you already feel as you know most of the members! The 'shy' ones just passed the mike to the next person. I've actually stopped doing it for my last few M&G's as it really takes up too much time and it's better for everyone to get up and mingle, IMO.

Harriet

That sounds so interesting.

Not everyone who signs up for roll call is signing up for meet and greet...just a thought

Yes, true....I think we all understand that. The roll call is for others who are sailing to talk, discuss, etc. the cruise they will all be one in one way or the other. The Meet and Greet is for those on the roll call to sign up for if they wish to meet those they've been chatting with on the roll call.

Harriet

Hi neighbor,

(We live in Gatineau, P.Q.) The "poker thing" we participated in was to meet at a certain venue on pre-arranged days and pick a card. We paid up front (can't remember exactly but maybe $10.00 per person). We each drew one card at each meeting (held at a particular bar) and on the 5th meeting the person with the best poker hand won a certain amount. The second best hand got a lesser amount and third place a little less. The organizer had kept track of each card drawn at each meeting so they knew who had the best hand. (They had a score sheet that they brought each time that everyone could look at.)

Because it was held at a bar and the same people attended each time we got to talking with others and made friends. I particularly enjoyed it because I had the best hand and I think I won about $70.00.

Wendy

I must have gotten extremely lucky. I attended my first M&G on the GEM a few weeks ago. I met some of the most amazing people and it was nice to run into people throughout the cruise and sit down and join them for a drink or quick conversation. Or sometimes a a really long conversation and more than a couple of drinks.

The slot pull immediately after the M&G I think helped people loosen up and get to chatting. Hard not to be social when you have a drink in hand and everyone is cheering over a $10 win on a Wheel of Fortune machine.

I will definitely make sure I attend future ones. It's well worth the time investment.

Hello! If you're sailing the Breakaway on August 9th please join our Roll Call - it's a little on the quiet side but we're planning a Meet & Greet and a Slot Pull.

If not - check out the date for your Roll Call so that you can join in the discussion!!

Happy cruising either way...

You know- it's hit or miss.

Some M & G are lame and some you make great connections.

The best M & G was on an Epic sailing. I was sailing with my Mom- we met two Solo ladies and ended up spending two port days all together- going to the beach. We would not have had that connection otherwise.

M & G can be awkward depending on the lounge it is in. Last sailing on the Pearl- the BLISS lounge was dark- it was hard to interact.

I think the "bonding" comes @ the Slot Pull- Everyone rooting for each other. Made many "cruise friends" there.

I have attended many Meet n Greets over the years and some were dreadful and others wonderful. It really is about having the right mix of people and there is nothing anyone can do about that.

IMHO, I think some people over organize the event. I am perfectly fine with writing out you own nametag at the registration table, but I have seen put soo much effort and expenses making very nice name tags. And if you get a name tag monitor, she will see you around the ship and ask where your name tag is.

I am all in favor of slot pulls, poker runs, cable n crawl, etc., but it becomes problematic for me when the organizers spend most of the time explaining or discussing where we meet, how it works, etc. they should ask those signed up to stay for a few mi ute at the end to iron out the details.

The officers are always very gracious about answering questions but on occasion it has turned into a gripe session. Wow, that one had several folks who were just not happy people.

Some of the best ones did not do gift exchanges, etc, but had name tags where you could put in a destination that you were interested in. That way if you saw someone with an Alaska tag, you could talk with the about your experience. It was a nice way to encourage educational exchange.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

I agree that if you sign up for a M&G you should make every effort to attend, but, there are times when it's just not possible.

As far as making name tags and bringing all sorts of things for those at the

the M&G, there are those who love doing that sort of thing and it's part of their enjoyment. Organizing can be either very simple or can be quite extensive, it's freestyle afterall.

I've only cruised a few times and only attended a few M&G but we've been

so lucky to meet so many wonderful people from around the world that it's become a way of connecting and there's nothing wrong with that, for sure.

Thanks to everyone for some great ideas for future M&G's, I'm sure many will be used on various cruises.

Cheers,

Connie

you say you have organised a meet and greet so you must know the ship co ordinator doesn't make contact more than 3 weeks before and time and venue is organised by them .Ship provides venue refreshments and officers turnup but anything over and above that is up to participants on roll call

so not true, i have contacted up to 5 months in advance was given meet date/time and was asked to reconfirm 3 weeks prior with more accurate count, granted i only have organized twice and it was the same with both

so not true, i have contacted up to 5 months in advance was given meet date/time and was asked to reconfirm 3 weeks prior with more accurate count, granted i only have organized twice and it was the same with both

Agree. I never wait until 3 weeks.....and do the same as you. Never had a problem and have hosted many M&G's.

I will agree, however, that the website here does say to do so 3 weeks out....I've just found it's way to close to sailing and I like to let the people who signed up know about it as soon as possible. They usually get back to me within a day....and as you said, ask me to confirm the number attending about 3 weeks out.

Harriet