Invicta Watches on Ncl cruise line

newtocruisingcdn

So what is NCL's return policy on products they sell that carry warranties.

One would assume that you should be able to return it back to the store where your purchased the defective product.

Sounds like the OP was told by the manufacture that the arrangement they have with the retailer is the retailer is responsible for accepting warranty claims and to be the middle man between us and you. If that is the arrangement then the OP should be calling up NCL and saying I want to make a warranty claim on my watch.

I don't know if NCL is setup to handle this properly, either in person on the ship or over the phone once off the ship. That said, did you try?

Problem is, NCL does not sell watches or jewelry. The stores on the ship are a private company. They lease space from NCL. They are the ones you have to deal with.

Which is why I NEVER buy major purchases of jewelry on a ship or an Island. Have read way too many horror stories.

That is great advise. I wish more people would realize this.We love to buy junky stuff, from the islands and even the ship, but never and I will say it again, never buy expensive jewelry without realizing the customer service after the fact isn't going to be worth a thing. We did buy hubby an expensive watch in St Thomas years ago. Luckily he has never had any problems with it, but he, also really didn't get a great deal.

Problem is, NCL does not sell watches or jewelry. The stores on the ship are a private company. They lease space from NCL. They are the ones you have to deal with.

I would disagree. True the stores are operated by an outside firm under some contract with NCL. However NCL is the organisations that is collecting the money from me when they settle the account at the end of the cruise. The transaction is between NCL as the seller and the passenger.

I could go along with NCL simply being the landlord (of whatever term you use when its not on land) if I was paying the store directly.

I would disagree. True the stores are operated by an outside firm under some contract with NCL. However NCL is the organisations that is collecting the money from me when they settle the account at the end of the cruise. The transaction is between NCL as the seller and the passenger.

I could go along with NCL simply being the landlord (of whatever term you use when its not on land) if I was paying the store directly.

That not only misses the point, it doesn't even make sense.

IF ... and I do mean IF ... your point was valid, you would not even be the customer because NCL actually doesn't collect money from YOU, they collect it from the Credit Card Company when the account is settled at the end of the cruise.

I can also buy my plane tickets through NCL....that doesn't mean that NCL is the airline.

Think of all of the excursions that NCL collects money for...Is NCL taking you on an excursion or is the tour company?

Regardless of the middle man in this case (NCL) Invicta should honour its warranty as long as the buyer has the receipt as proof of purchase.

Pretty piss poor customer relations as well as service. Many other companies do not and would not behave this way in this situation.

Example: Zippo lighters - they don't care where or when you bought the lighter. They don't even ask for a receipt. All of their lighters have a lifetime warranty and as long as the customer pays the postage, both ways, Zippo will either recondition/repair the lighter or replace it for free.

Zippo lighters are also sold on many cruise ships everywhere. They would not give the customer this kind of nonsense.

I agree with other posters who say NCL is not responsible. INVICTA is responsible.

Edited by artist47

Regardless of the middle man in this case (NCL) Invicta should honour its warranty as long as the buyer has the receipt as proof of purchase.

Pretty piss poor customer relations as well as service. Many other companies do not and would not behave this way in this situation.

Example: Zippo lighters - they don't care where or when you bought the lighter. They don't even ask for a receipt. All of their lighters have a lifetime warranty and as long as the customer pays the postage, both ways, Zippo will either recondition/repair the lighter or replace it for free.

Zippo lighters are also sold on many cruise ships everywhere. They would not give the customer this kind of nonsense.

I agree with other posters who say NCL is not responsible. INVICTA is responsible.

Actually Zippo MPL lighters are only warranted for 3 years as they were utter garbage.

http://www.zippo.com/pdf/CandleLtrInstructionNAFTA.pdf

To stay on topic I have never understood people that spend more than anything worth about $15 on cruise ship merchandise.

If I wanted to buy a nice watch a 3rd party watch seller on a cruise ship is the last place I would look.

Edited by dasmonkey

I do agree it is poor customer service on INVICTA's part. They are US based?

That said, you have entered into a contract with the retailer (NCL) when you purchased the product from them, since that is the company you exchanged money with. Their is some supply chain that eventually get to INVICTA.

Living in Canada we always have the problem that the Canadian subsidiary of some large multi-nationals do not want to honour the warranty on products sold through their sister companies in the US. The purchaser may or may not even live in the country where the watch was sourced from. I could also see that being a potential problem.

Edited by em-sk

Don't buy an Invicta Watch. They look bold, bulky and modern but the company sucks. I purchased an Invicta watch in St Thomas for over $600. It broke down four times and Invicta had it in there facility for over ONE YEAR. Three months at a crack. The last time it was sent back they told me to pick out another of there watches and (unauthorized) sent my watch to the junk yard. Got a replacement watch that started falling apart in the first week. I won't bother trying to get it fixed by Invicta - I'll get it repaired locally. Basically just stay away from this brand.

Actually Zippo MPL lighters are only warranted for 3 years as they were utter garbage.

http://www.zippo.com/pdf/CandleLtrInstructionNAFTA.pdf

To stay on topic I have never understood people that spend more than anything worth about $15 on cruise ship merchandise.

If I wanted to buy a nice watch a 3rd party watch seller on a cruise ship is the last place I would look.

That's interesting because they have reconditioned all of mine, and my collection ranges to 40 years old. They have never charged me a dime for any of them, and I have had 12 of them done ....just had to pay the postage.

http://www.zippo.com/customercare/repairs.aspx

Edited by artist47

• 1 year later...
So in other words, NCL did nothing wrong, the issue is with Invicta?

Wouldn't an Invicta Watch message board be the BEST place for this to be posted?

I'm glad that the post was made here. Even if NCL customers are a very tiny portion of the customer base, no one likes to be taken. And if it saves another fellow cruiser from the problems the OP has experienced, it was worth it.

NCL is a company - don't take negative comments so personally.

And even a year later this thread was quite helpful to me during my sailing this past week . . . so I'm glad it existed (and was easily searched without using much of my onboard internet package time).

After reading this CC post I had better knowledge of some questions to ask the onboard sales team regarding Invicta warranties, and any options for extending those if desired.

I would have never quickly found it on an 'Invicta message board' while on my cruise.

NCL has its name on the receipt, and puts its name (literally) on it via the watch sale, so there is definitely some responsibility . . . and by asking the right questions I know whom to contact for initial questions of any potential problems.

So thanks, all, for this thread being out there.

p.s. I really like my new souvenir watch, and hope to enjoy it for multiple years. :)

Thanks for the heads up.

For the life of me, I have yet to figure out why people buy fancy stuff on a ship or overseas. We have lots of great stores right here in the good ole USA.

Because everyone thinks they are getting a deal LOL

Little do they realize how much more they are paying

This is not an NCL problem. Avoid Invicta watches as they are crap. I am sorry you got taken by this company, but it is what it is. If you want a fine time piece then spend the money and buy a better brand. There is never a deal on Invicta watchs on a ship that can not be easily beaten online because the MSRP of these watches is an absolute joke that they ALWAYS mark down significantly to trick people into thinking they are truly fine time pieces. You NEVER see them being sold as MSRP because they are not worth even half that value.

6&8

I bought a Citizen eco-drive on the Breakaway in May of 2013 and I've had zero problems with it. Good price for a great watch! Sorry you didn't have the same experience with your Invicta. :(

Jen

I would have posted here as well.

Invicta and NCL work together.

Both the Breakaway and the Getaway offered inaugural season watches SPECIFIC to the Ship.

I have one that has Getaway on it and one that has Breakaway. The large , suitcase like case is personalized by the Captain.

They were not large purchases- marked down (ahem) to 199.

The Breakaway watch was fine, the Getaway watch had the band adjusted on board the NCL ship by an NCL staffer and was not put back together correctly.

It smashed to the floor within an hour of purchase. The ship's jeweler fixed it, but another price broke as soon as we got home

Another CC member had the same experience.

It took the " threat" of posting about the watch on CC to get a response from Invicta. And, yes, we played nice at first.

The watch went out for repair in October.

We got it back on Friday.

Trying to post a picture but i can't

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is not an NCL problem. Avoid Invicta watches as they are crap. I am sorry you got taken by this company, but it is what it is. If you want a fine time piece then spend the money and buy a better brand. There is never a deal on Invicta watchs on a ship that can not be easily beaten online because the MSRP of these watches is an absolute joke that they ALWAYS mark down significantly to trick people into thinking they are truly fine time pieces. You NEVER see them being sold as MSRP because they are not worth even half that value.

6&8

No one said Invicta is a fine time piece.

For under 200 bucks to have a nice souvenir of a cruise, well it is worth it. There is Internet on the ship and you can price check with Amazon or anywhere else.

Don't think anyone thinks that they are getting a super super bargain.

For me it is the novelty of the inaugural watch.

I buy my "real " watches stateside .

But for a fun, inexpensive timepiece

I think the Invictas are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You've misread....I don't take it personally at all...I'm not involved in any way.

I just am stating my opinion (if that is permitted) that IF the purpose of the post was to warn potential customers about Invicta's policies, then it would do the most good to post the item where the maximum number of potential customers might see it. Do you disagree?

Heck, if anything, post this on the General Cruising Forum so that ALL cruisers can see it and not just NCL cruisers. You say that no one likes to be taken, how bad would you feel if you were, in fact, taken and later found out that a warning was posted, just in a place where a small number of people would see it instead of out where it would do the most good?

Its JMHO, but I can't fathom why anyone would support only warning a small percentage of the people when larger numbers could easily be obtained.

Bless your heart!

http://www.amazon.com/How-Friends-Influence-People-Revised/dp/067142517X/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I am a watch guy and have bought quite a few Invicta watches in years past but have stayed away as over the past few years they have seriously diluted the brand among other reasons. If you Google Invicta you will find out that they have had some serious QC issues and have absolutely notoriously horrible customer service! I have also found that the contractors that they have on NCL ships have no idea what they are selling and have absolutely no information regarding the watches they sell.

My rule of thumb.... never buy a watch on a cruise ship for over $20.

Stay away from all tourist trap shops on the islands too. I wish the cruise lines would be honest and tell the passengers they get a big percentage of sales for recommending the shops they promote on the ship during the seminars. It would show some transparency.

Edited by david_sobe

I have two Invicta watches, both purchased here, at CostCo. One 'Dressy', one casual.

On a recent cruise I happened past the shops when they were having an Invicta Watch Blowout Sale, and a watch almost exactly like my casual watch was marked down from something like $499 to only $219.

My watch at CostCo was $99 and change.

gary

I am a watch guy and have bought quite a few Invicta watches in years past but have stayed away as over the past few years they have seriously diluted the brand among other reasons. If you Google Invicta you will find out that they have had some serious QC issues and have absolutely notoriously horrible customer service! I have also found that the contractors that they have on NCL ships have no idea what they are selling and have absolutely no information regarding the watches they sell.

Listen to this guy. In watch circles, Invicta is a bit of a joke. They had a few good ones for a while, but their CS and QC have gotten notoriously bad in the last few years. Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Bulova, etc all make better watches at that price point.

No one said Invicta is a fine time piece.

Don't think anyone thinks that they are getting a super super bargain.

For me it is the novelty of the inaugural watch.

That was the exact situation/purpose of my recent acquisition.

Wanted something "EPIC specific" as a nice souvenir of my 6th and final voyage on that ship, which will remain one of my favorites ever.

The watch is a numbered series with the ship's name ingraved. It will never be used for scuba diving, but I want it to (at the very least) keep good time. So I think I have the perfect item for what I wanted as a ship keepsake . . . they might have frowned on my snagging one of those lamps I liked so much.

So I'm glad to have what I have, and it will be covered for four years via warranty . . . due to me asking the proper questions while onboard.

Stay away from all tourist trap shops on the islands too. I wish the cruise lines would be honest and tell the passengers they get a big percentage of sales for recommending the shops they promote on the ship during the seminars. It would show some transparency.

Why? I bought a Rado, and a Tissot Touch, and then compared prices at various shops and online...and the shipboard pricing was pretty good.

They were each slightly more than your $20 limit.

I agree. God only knows where they get this stuff.