Stockholder benefit & Big/Better/Best Pricing

TomMMD

RCI has essentially made their Stockholder Credit near meaningless for all their brands. Once they adopted a "no stacking" policy with credits, they made the stockholder credit worthless for most cruisers. While this is the case for RCI stock it is just the opposite with CCL stock (they have many brands including HAL and Princess) where "stacking" of credits is generally OK.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I bought the stock as an investment. When we got a shareholder credit, it was gravy. Between the dividends and the incredible return, the stock has paid for our many cruises just in gains. One should never buy a stock just for the shareholder benefit. It should also be a sound investment.

The Stockholder credit is good for Transatlantics. We only got $100 for booking a TA. We turned it down to get the $250 shareholder credit.

I wouldn't buy it at today's price ($90). We paid $16 back in 2009, and when it went down to $5, my wife said we should buy some more, which I didn't -- what the hell does she know. :rolleyes:

RCI has essentially made their Stockholder Credit near meaningless for all their brands. Once they adopted a "no stacking" policy with credits, they made the stockholder credit worthless for most cruisers. While this is the case for RCI stock it is just the opposite with CCL stock (they have many brands including HAL and Princess) where "stacking" of credits is generally OK.

Hank

I know and I just wish RCCL would relax and allow stacking of the shareholder credit... I have rarely been able to use it while always can with CCL

• 4 weeks later...

I was just denied the Shareholder Benefit for my November Panama Canal cruise. The only explanation so far is that I can't combine offers. We have the classic drink package included on the old 1-2-3 Go promo but ultimately one is paying for that package.

It is getting frustrating.

What I don't care for is Celebrity talking out of both sides of it's mouth. In one breath they say Go Big Better Best is now their standard pricing model, which sends the message it's not a promotion. But then they say Go BBB is a promotion when it comes time to combining things like the shareholder credit.

They're playing it both ways.

What I don't care for is Celebrity talking out of both sides of it's mouth. In one breath they say Go Big Better Best is now their standard pricing model, which sends the message it's not a promotion. But then they say Go BBB is a promotion when it comes time to combining things like the shareholder credit.

Where have they stated it's their "standard pricing model".

Go Big, Go Better, Go Best on almost every sailing we offer between October 2015 and April 2017 when you book an ocean view stateroom or higher.

The above is right on the home page.

• On almost every sailing.
  • Only between October and April 2017,
  • only in ocean view and above cabins.
  • Read the fine print it further states subject to capacity controls.

All of these exceptions make it clear it's not their standard pricing, otherwise there would be no exceptions to its use.

To say nothing of the text that says GO BIG! choose 1 PERK, Choose Better, choose 2 PERKS, go Best, get all 4 PERKS

They use the word PERK, but people can't decide if it should count as a perk or not?

I'm on a sailing in October, and it did not apply.

Was there a way to not take the 123 when it was in effect, other than similar exclusions as this offer has or by booking a senior or other discount subject to eligibility (as one can also do here). The cost of the 123 perk was definitely included in the displayed fare just as BBB is.

I just don't get why any one has such a hard time understanding that the shareholder credit is just 1 tool in the tool box, useful in only certain circumstances. They make that perfectly clear in the Shareholder FAQ about its restrictions.

Edited by cle-guy

I just don't get why any one has such a hard time understanding that the shareholder credit is just 1 tool in the tool box, useful in only certain circumstances. They make that perfectly clear in the Shareholder FAQ about its restrictions.

WELL SAID. :cool:

The Stockholder credit is good for Transatlantics. We only got $100 for booking a TA. We turned it down to get the $250 shareholder credit.

I wouldn't buy it at today's price ($90). We paid $16 back in 2009, and when it went down to $5, my wife said we should buy some more, which I didn't -- what the hell does she know. :rolleyes:

I bought it at $8.00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where have they stated it's their "standard pricing model".

When probably 90% of your sailings are priced as Go BBB, I'd venture to say it's their standard pricing model! Especially when there's no choice of a standard, basic fare to choose from between that and Go BBB.

While I agree that buying the stock should be for an investment and not for the shipboard credit, what's the point of even advertising a shareholder's credit if it's only going to be available on 10% of your sailings?

When probably 90% of your sailings are priced as Go BBB, I'd venture to say it's their standard pricing model! Especially when there's no choice of a standard, basic fare to choose from between that and Go BBB.

While I agree that buying the stock should be for an investment and not for the shipboard credit, what's the point of even advertising a shareholder's credit if it's only going to be available on 10% of your sailings?

I also don't think they actually "advertise" the shareholder credit in any meaningful way, other than a blurb on the investor website, in the same place where they discuss the exceptions to its use.

Were it not for hearing about it on Crusie Critic, I'd have had NO CLUE it even existed.

In any case, the $300 OBC perk is better than the $250 max Shareholder credit anyway (especially if on a shorter crusie where $50 is the shareholder credit), so one still comes out ahead with BBB versus Shareholder credit, were one to be able to book without the BBB promotion.

You are correct stating this is a new model. A little research and people can find the description and plan as presented by management. It was presented as a way to get closer to the all inclusive pricing found on the more upscale lines. It was planned to also raise the per person diem rate. Not my viewpoint ....THEIRS.

We just worked with an agent who sold us a discounted rate verandah with a sizeable obc. Not the bbb pricing.The numbers were much more in our favor. So it IS possible to book without.

We just worked with an agent who sold us a discounted rate verandah with a sizeable obc. Not the bbb pricing.The numbers were much more in our favor. So it IS possible to book without.

Was the discounted rate either a residence, senior or military fare?

I have an upcoming Summit sailing where I'm in an inside cabin with no perks included whatsoever. So I'm hoping that I qualify for the stakeholder benefit, a little extra spending money would be nice.

The only reason that I might not qualify is embedded in their fine print:

Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate.

I got a resident rate through a TA...is that a certain price program, a reduced rate or a travel agent rate? I'll find out soon. Very opaque wording with lots of slippery ways out of honoring the benefit.

shareholder credit is combinable with military fares. don;t know about senior ir resident.

Apparently the shareholder benefit is combinable with a resident rate. They sent me an email back stating that the benefit was applied. :)

Just like all OBC, there is no way to verify the credit has really been applied on the website. I guess I could call my TA to verify.

Apparently the shareholder benefit is combinable with a resident rate. They sent me an email back stating that the benefit was applied. :)

Just like all OBC, there is no way to verify the credit has really been applied on the website. I guess I could call my TA to verify.

I submit my request for every cruise. If they say no, i email again a few days later. 2nd no I accept and move on.

Sometimes I have gotten it even when I had other perks. but usually, no.

It takes but a minute to send the email, so I'll do it every single time!

Yes, it is combinable with resident, senior, military rates. We have always gotten it when we have applied for it.

You will need to have your TA send you an updated copy of your invoice and it will show the OBC.