Trying to make Mom happy (re: Noordam 11/3/14 ABC Islands cruise)

bert425

Hi all,

Sorry to bug for advice, but could use some help.

My parents have booked us (myself/Partner, Brother/SiL, and Parents) on this cruise as a family get together, "thank you" cruise to take my Mom while she's able to travel.

So there are a total of 6 of us going (one family member is NOT invited, but that's a whole nother story).

My Dad is treating us to the cruise, and excursions, and drink cards, etc. . The only request by my Dad for us, is that we meet for dinner each night to discuss the day.

We have the late dinner option (it was early, but the Travel Agent changed it based on majority preference - and my Dad likes that it means he can have afternoon tea and be hungry again for 8pm dinner :)).

Ok. . so problem/question?

The Travel Agent has told my Mom that we cannot have a round table for the family, as those tables sit 8. So instead, they will put the 6 of us at a rectangle table.

she does *not* like this idea, she wants a round table, as she insists that is more conducive to talking. And she doesn't really want non-family members at the table (as she's sure the non-invited sibling will often be discussed).

Not that I'd wish these conversations on any non family member anyways! LOL

so she REALLY wants just the 6 of us to be sat at a round table for 8.

-- Looking at the Noordam dining room, it appears there are only 4-6 such round tables? So the Travel Agent is giving her a hard time.

I guess my question is: should I call HAL and make this request on her behalf?

Wait until closer to the cruise?

Wait until we're on the ship the first day?

or is her request unreasonable, and we will be at a rectangular table, unless they seat 2 additional folks with us?

thanks for any advice/direction!

best,

bert

Call Ship's Services

1-800-541-1576

Please let us know how you make out.

I am sure the 'odd' two who would be seated at the table would be more unhappy than your mom. They likely would feel very left out.

If Ship Services refuse to speak with you because you have a TA, give your TA this number and instructions you expect it handled, Now. She can and should be doing this.

Edited by sail7seas

I really don't see HAL giving a party of 6 a table for 8. We were at a rectangle table for 6 and had no problem with conversation. That's just three people on each side. Your table for 6 will be just fine.

see?. .that's logic.

we're talking Mom here. . . .so logic is the LAST resort :)

but I will absolutely pass along that someone with experience at the rectangle table said it was fine for conversation.

Edited by bert425

Call Ship's Services

1-800-541-1576

Please let us know how you make out.

I am sure the 'odd' two who would be seated at the table would be more unhappy than your mom. They likely would feel very left out.

thanks for the suggestion. should I wait closer to the embark tho?. . we're still about 9 weeks out.

Do Not Wait. It is better to make the call sooner rather than later.

Instead of just mentioning how your Mom would feel about two 'strangers', think about how they would feel being seated with a family who doesn't want anyone else at the table.

Edited by sail7seas

Only your TA can talk to HAL about the table size you want.

The sooner the better!!

There are several round tables that seat 6 -- but they are close to the work stations -- JMO -- but I wouldn't want one of them.

At the very aft there are several tables -- rectangular -- that are by the windows -- good view.

The sooner the better!!

There are several round tables that seat 6 -- but they are close to the work stations -- JMO -- but I wouldn't want one of them.

At the very aft there are several tables -- rectangular -- that are by the windows -- good view.

really??? we always use a TA and I called HAL to arrange tables on several occasions. I had no problem at all???

In any case, it's worth the op's effort to try and at the very least she can then have her TA do it if necessary, but it has not been so for us.:confused:

If you end up with a rectangular table, switch seats around every night so everyone is sitting beside each other at some point.

People will get mad at my saying this but .... It never hurts to $hake hands with the Maitre d' . ;)

LuLu

I find the large round tables difficult for conversation; 6-top rectangulars are much better IMO, especially if you switch place each night. Maybe you can steer the conversation to more pleasant topics.

Roz

see?. .that's logic.

we're talking Mom here. . . .so logic is the LAST resort :)

but I will absolutely pass along that someone with experience at the rectangle table said it was fine for conversation.

Aww! LOL If you're going to call, do it sooner rather than later. That said, I would MUCH rather have a table by a window (which I have never been lucky enough to have) than one of the big tables in the middle of the room.

I find the large round tables difficult for conversation; 6-top rectangulars are much better IMO, especially if you switch place each night. Maybe you can steer the conversation to more pleasant topics.

Roz

We too find the round 8 tops difficult for conversation.

Maybe ask your mom to try the 6 person rectangular, based on the feedback about "difficult for conversation"??? Assure her that if she HATES it, you'll do what you can to change the arrangements? (Seriously those round 8 tops are not conducive to conversation, as the table ends up being 4 talking on one side and 4 talking on the other side mostly....)

Edited by CowPrincess

I have always had to request dining changes or table through my TA - frustrating which is why I booked direct last time. However, everything always worked out and I got what I asked for. But in this instance I don't think HAL will allocate a round table for 8 to the 6 of you. I agree with Aloha that a rectangle 6-top is fine and you will be able to converse with one another OK. And it will be in a better location, by a window, more than likely.

I find the large round tables difficult for conversation; 6-top rectangulars are much better IMO, especially if you switch place each night. Roz

Agree! We have a rectangular table for 6 in our kitchen dining area. No problem having conversations with everyone. :)

LuLu

really??? we always use a TA and I called HAL to arrange tables on several occasions. I had no problem at all???

In any case, it's worth the op's effort to try and at the very least she can then have her TA do it if necessary, but it has not been so for us.:confused:

On a couple of occasions we have tried to call HAL to get a special table -- most recently about the AMEX perks -- always told that our TA had to make the calls.

If you end up with a rectangular table, switch seats around every night so everyone is sitting beside each other at some point.

People will get mad at my saying this but .... It never hurts to $hake hands with the Maitre d' . ;)

LuLu

On our last 3 or 4 cruises we have never seen the dining room manager. Couldn't even tell you his name until we get out Log at the end of the cruise.

I have never had a problem with conversation at a rectangular table for six. I agree with the poster who suggested rotating positions at the table each evening. There is one consideration that bears mentioning though. The tables are close enough that conversation at your table can be easily overheard by those at adjoining tables. You might want to save conversation about the absent sibling for a more private venue.

We too find the round 8 tops difficult for conversation.

Maybe ask your mom to try the 6 person rectangular, based on the feedback about "difficult for conversation"??? Assure her that if she HATES it, you'll do what you can to change the arrangements? (Seriously those round 8 tops are not conducive to conversation, as the table ends up being 4 talking on one side and 4 talking on the other side mostly....)

This is the approach i will take with her when I speak to her on Sunday.

(I'll also use the tactic that several have noted the smaller round tables are by workstations, while the rectangular tend to be by a window).

if she insists, then I'll call HAL direct on Monday to see if anything can be done.

she's telling me the TA is not helping at all. . tho they asked him for a round table. So i think it will be up to me to try, if she does insist.

thanks to all for the feedback/advice!

it's very much appreciated!

It is really hard to have a group conversation at a round table for 8. You are much better at a table for 6. I have sat at oval tables that seat 6 in the lower dining room. Do they also have oval tables upstairs in assigned seating? Maybe they can put you at an assigned oval table for 6 in the lower dining room.

I always prefer the rectangular tables for 6 and they are almost always near the windows for a nice view while dining. Perfect for conversation.

Edited by oaktreerb

We have nearly 300 days on HAL. We prefer the 6 person tables because it is easier to have a conversation with fellow cruisers - the 8 and 10 round tables are too large and difficult to hear the other folks.

The sooner the better!!

I agree. We've been seated at a round 6 top and it was located next to the work station which was noisy and made it very difficult to hear conversation across the table. We've also been seated at a rectangular 6 top near the window and it was much better for conversation.

I really don't see HAL giving a party of 6 a table for 8. We were at a rectangle table for 6 and had no problem with conversation. That's just three people on each side. Your table for 6 will be just fine.

Roz

I agree with those who say that the round tables are too large for a party of 6 & you will have a lot of difficulty conversing...Can you put your parents in the two middle seats across from each other, with your sibling on one side & you on the other side of Mom? Then your siblings partner & your partner could sit on Dad's side..IMO that should make Mom happy & be perfect for all..

Edited by serendipity1499

I too agree that a table for 8 is not an ideal table for conversation. We have had a lovely table for 6 by the window on the Noordam, and we were much happier with that than the table for 8. If you think only a round table for 8 will do, then I agree that you should call soon.