So I've been assigned 6001. Should I be delighted or dismayed?

dln929

I've never been of such mixed mind when it comes to a cabin! The photo is from the suite above but that's pretty well the view. I've read everything I could find about 6001 on all the R class ships and it runs the gamut from "so windy and noisy with the anchor I couldn't stand it" to "best 180 degree views ever, loved it." One part of me says thinks that it would be great fun to see the anchor drop and all the docking maneuvering and the other part of me thinks that there goes my morning beauty sleep (we've port heavy at the start and end of the September transatlantic, which is the sailing in question). What do you all think? Is this going to be a *way cool* interesting cabin or a *why me why me* interesting cabin? Would you like to cross the Atlantic in this balcony cabin? Opine away!

5d8b96c2120d43f1fbfee84ffb11532d.jpg

Edited by dln929

I've never sailed Azamara, but have been in the forward Grand and Master's Suites on Regent Navigator, which are probably close to the same. Watching the activity was fun, but the balcony wasn't usable when we were underway because of the wind (and this was in the Caribbean), and the anchor noise was loud. No doubt about that. Does that suite only have the forward balcony? Both of the suites on Navigator had side balconies and doors that opened to the forward one.

I'm editing because I went to see the deck plans; I didn't realize there were verandah cabins between the suites on Azamara. I don't know what to tell you, I should have stayed quiet I think until somebody who has actually been in one of those cabins can come talk to you.

Edited by Pam
add

Deirdre

I never been that far forward on any R ship. But i have heard stories from many others about the noise. I would not like to wake up at 5 am to that!!!

As far as wind goes you will not enjoy that either.. i find the T-pool area windy so i can not imagine using that balcony..

Personally i would not take the cabin.

i can not remember if motion gets to you either- that alone would keep me away..

Deirdre,

We were in the suite next to your assigned cabin. I have to say we both loved and hated it. Loved it because the views were amazing as we were arriving and departing......hated it when we hit rough waters. It was so rough one night that water was hitting the front windows and coming in through the balcony doors. The noise from the water slamming against the ship was very loud when the seas were rough.

The noise from the anchor did not bother us since we are early risers. The noise from the Cabaret Lounge bothered us more.

Would we do it again? I would but my husband would not.

Deirdre -- I hope you have an alternative. We were considering 6004 and were warned off that because of the extreme pitching which the very front of the ship experiences in heavy water. I don't know of any itinerary in which I could be sure that these cabins wouldn't be a roller coaster, but a TA is a sure bet for rough seas at some point.

We had rough seas for two days....and yes, there was a lot pitching. Fortunately the ship was not full when we sailed and all of us in the forward cabins and suites were given the option of changing cabins for the night when the seas were the worst.

A TA could be rough!

Here's my opinion: noise when docking, lack of privacy when crew members are outside, noise from lounge rehearsals and shows, wind, pitching with any significant wave action.

And it's a transatlantic? No way!

Edited by CintiPam

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I now think I am blessed and cursed all in the same bundle! To flesh it out a bit, here's our itinerary:

Southampton (depart)

Honfleur (docked @ 7 am)

Cherbourg (docked @ 8 am)

Guernsey (tendered @ 8 am)

Cork (docked @ 11 am)

4 days crossing the North Atlantic

Newfoundland (tendered @ 9 am)

2 days cruising the St. Lawrence Seaway

Saguenay (docked @ 7 am)

Quebec City (docked @ 8 am)

Montreal (docked @ 8 am)

See what I mean? What could be better than the expansive view from the bow while we're in Canada going down the St. Lawrence River or sailing the fjords of Saguenay? No better spot on the ship! We'd be the first to see everything. It would be incredible.

And, on the other hand, what could be more dreadful than crossing the north Atlantic to someone who's already prone to seasickness (like myself :()? I take Bonine and it works like a charm but I don't want to push it...

I think we'd like watching all the work that goes in the bowels of bow but at the same time I wonder if I'd feel like we were snooping on the crew, you know like Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window. Ewww! That's a creepy thought. Are the crew out there often? I have no idea.

Well it's all a moot point anyway because I just checked now and all the verandas are sold out. Thank goodness this TA isn't even until Sept. 2016. Plenty of time to see who cancels or changes cabins, I guess. Wish me luck everyone. ;)

Well, that thread doesn't look encouraging for any cabin, for a TA. I'm booked on this cruise in what is probably one of the most ideal verandah cabins, but I am skittish about hitting really rough water in the Atlantic. I don't get seasick, as far as I know, but I don't want to bounce around like a ball in a pinball machine either (showing my age).

We have a little while to think about it, thank goodness.

Oh dear. I really oughtn't have continued reading into this cabin as ignorance is bliss and knowledge is ???. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=727569

let's put it this way I read on face book that grown men -crew members you know.-were sick in April. one kissed the grownd when he arrived on land.. this cruise looking ar the roll call is one of the two busiest for 2016

i thought you were prone tto sea sickness. i would of never ever take that cabin.. why did you?

since i can see that area very well from deck 9 forward i would say crew do not hang there ever- they go to deck 11 aft.

let's put it this way I read on face book that grown men -crew members you know.-were sick in April. one kissed the grownd when he arrived on land.. this cruise looking ar the roll call is one of the two busiest for 2016

i thought you were prone tto sea sickness. i would of never ever take that cabin.. why did you?

since i can see that area very well from deck 9 forward i would say crew do not hang there ever- they go to deck 11 aft.

Robin, I didn't book it! I booked a V1 guarantee cabin and I looked at my reservation only this weekend and this is what I saw. Traditionally the VX cabins are more expensive and therefore excluded from the "balcony for the price of inside" promo. It certainly would be an upgrade and I really would be happy about it if we were on the smooth Mediterranean but now I'm worried that I'll be puking my guts out for four nights on the north Atlantic. I've done a TA on the south Atlantic, no prob, but north? Might be another kettle of fish entirely.

There's lots of time to agonize before sailing though. Final payment is over a year and a half out. (This is where I shake my head and say First World Problems ;))

I sailed in that cabin in the caribbean. The seas were not rough so I cannot comment on that aspect. I found the noise (starting pretty early in the morning) from the deckhands extremely annoying. For me it was a waste of a balcony that I could not use. You would probably bes better off taking a mid ship cabin.

Four days crossing at sea might not be too too bad...but the North Atlantic can be rough, no doubt about it. My very first time on a ship was a N. Atlantic crossing (of course ships did not have sophisticated stabilizers as they do now and I was a lot younger) and I was acutely sick the entire time! Put me off getting on another ship for years and years. My DH and I were looking at the Azamara cruise and came close to booking it but then I thought about my last TA and I said to myself "what are you thinking!?"

Deirdre, we had cabin 6001 through the Suez Canal, and even though it was interesting during the transit, I would still never choose that cabin again due to the following:

-The sixth floor is too low down to get good views.

-There were almost always crew around that could see us on the balcony

-The crew were always washing the bow, so dirty water spray regularly on the balcony furniture.

-Loud early morning noise on port days from the anchors.

-Loud noise from the cabaret during rehearsals and during shows.

-Overpowering wind when going at regular speeds.

-Too much sun for the air conditioner to handle, so we had to keep the drapes drawn much of the time.

-The claimed larger balcony is all under the slanted railing, so not usable.

We paid extra for that cabin and selected it ourselves. As a guarantee I would live with it if the price was worth it to me, but I hope you will be able to change yours. The one thing we did not have a problem with was motion, it didn't bother us at all. Good Luck!

Robin, I didn't book it! I booked a V1 guarantee cabin and I looked at my reservation only this weekend and this is what I saw. Traditionally the VX cabins are more expensive and therefore excluded from the "balcony for the price of inside" promo. It certainly would be an upgrade and I really would be happy about it if we were on the smooth Mediterranean but now I'm worried that I'll be puking my guts out for four nights on the north Atlantic. I've done a TA on the south Atlantic, no prob, but north? Might be another kettle of fish entirely.

There's lots of time to agonize before sailing though. Final payment is over a year and a half out. (This is where I shake my head and say First World Problems ;))

Deirdre

i done one TA in college- less to do on ships back then.. I spent 3 weeks this summmer in the North Sea every seaday was a pill day. couple slept in and ate and slept more. wonders of pills. I am doing the sea of japan this year and been warned- i brought tons of pills as the free ones on ship really make me tired. The Quest TA in april was bad -not on it but saw and read enough from facebook. too many times in the days could not go forward on deck 5 and that means no deck 10 dancing.

yes. you have a year plus and someone might cancel- this is a great cruise but for cabin number.. i have to be mid ship tht why i pay more for the cabin i want. i am not sure what to say at this point. .nothing left on deck 8 more aft or??? knew this would be a ful lcruise just like Norway but still

Arggggggg! I thank all of you who have responded for being helpful and forthcoming but I can't say that I'm liking what I'm hearing! Phooey. Big time Phooey. This cabin--at least for me--stinks. Nothing about it appeals, not based on what you're all telling me (thank you especially, Brigitte, for the detailed list as it's going to be useful when I tell my husband that no, this cabin is not an exciting adventure ;) ). This is the first time I've ever been burned by a guarantee and it's not a nice feeling.

That's just the strangest thing though. Why is it classified as a VX cabin? That's supposedly the best of the verandas. Go figure.

Robin, I love the new travel size Bonine as you can hook it onto a key chain and it won't get buried in the bottom of the bag. http://www.bonine.com/

I think we have all learned something about accepting a guarantee for the double upgrade fare special from your experience. My take away would be only to accept the offer if a specific cabin number is indicated.

Please keep us posted about how and when your dilemma is resolved.

Edited by GJH123

I think we have all learned something about accepting a guarantee for the double upgrade fare special from your experience. My take away would be only to accept the offer if a specific cabin number is indicated.

Please keep us posted about how and when your dilemma is resolved.

Yes indeed. This is actually the first time that I didn't ask what my cabin assignment was straight from the get-go. We've always been satisfied with our guarantee verandas every time we've used this promo and I let my guard down. This is what happens when you're lax! And I was obviously mistaken in thinking that only V1, V2, and V3 verandas are part of the deal: I'm living proof that a guarantee can land you anywhere. Let me be your cautionary tale. When you book a guarantee, don't get off the phone until the agent/rep tells you what cabin you have! This is what I've always done before (no problem, ever) and why I didn't do it this time is beyond me.

Cross your fingers everyone that between now and Sept. 2016 there will be some cabin shuffling or I'm sunk. :(

Would it be worth getting a quote to see how much it would be to get an upgrade to an N2 or N1? There are still a few available for that cruise. We were assigned the same cabin and this is what we did although it didn't turn out to be the bargain cruise we thought we had booked!

Edited by malcliz
Posted in wrong place

Deirdre, I can't offer any recommendations on the cabin as we have not yet cruised on Azamara - that is a pleasure starting in 14 days when we do a 29 day back to back on Azamara Quest in Asia.

I can offer some comfort on a Northern TA which we cruised on Seabourn Sojourn several years ago. We cruised well North into Iceland and Greenland during our crossing and the weather and seas were quite good. We had one bad night in an 18 night cruise and that was coming out off Greenland - tough night for the restaurant staff with more food on the floor than on the tables - and a couple of elderly gents being deposited from their dining chairs to the floor. Crew were fantastic and everyone were fed and watered - eventually.

The cruise into Sagueney and Quebec (our disembarkation port) was a highlight and you will love cruising the Saint Lawrence Seaway.

You have time to hopefully move to a better cabin location, but do not pass up the opportunity for a northern TA crossing. It is quite special.

thank you especially, Brigitte, for the detailed list as it's going to be useful when I tell my husband that no, this cabin is not an exciting adventure ;)

You're welcome.

Husbands and their sense of adventure, that is exactly why we wound up selecting that cabin through the canal, he thought it would be more interesting...and it was, for all the wrong reasons...lol.

Arggggggg! I thank all of you who have responded for being helpful and forthcoming but I can't say that I'm liking what I'm hearing! Phooey. Big time Phooey. This cabin--at least for me--stinks. Nothing about it appeals, not based on what you're all telling me (thank you especially, Brigitte, for the detailed list as it's going to be useful when I tell my husband that no, this cabin is not an exciting adventure ;) ). This is the first time I've ever been burned by a guarantee and it's not a nice feeling.

That's just the strangest thing though. Why is it classified as a VX cabin? That's supposedly the best of the verandas. Go figure.

Robin, I love the new travel size Bonine as you can hook it onto a key chain and it won't get buried in the bottom of the bag. http://www.bonine.com/

I now have like 70 plus pillls in a ziplock bags. since they are goood for 12 hours i take one befroe bed for the early morning days. i do not always need them fro sea days so i hopei know ahead. Johnasses once said the sea would hit at 11:15 at night. i was dancing and in cabin with in minutes. had a bottle of rum roll acroos my floor thw year i finally decided to see the Falklands. .nto going back t osee he missing port. iceland and scotland got to me. .so planning on needing them in japan etc.

I might be ok aft but not forward. .i have friends due to money take an inside cabin.. but they are mid ship.. hope it works out.

I've done a TA on the south Atlantic, no prob, but north? Might be another kettle of fish entirely.

I'm hoping that the North Atlantic in September won't be as bad as late Oct/ early November ( Eclipse Nov '14 was diverted to a more southerly route) so was pleased to read the following:

The cruise into Sagueney and Quebec (our disembarkation port) was a highlight and you will love cruising the Saint Lawrence Seaway.

You have time to hopefully move to a better cabin location, but do not pass up the opportunity for a northern TA crossing. It is quite special.

Thank you Aussie Cruise Nuts.

Edited by upwarduk