How to contact family that is on the ship with me

Hi all.... My family and I are going on a cruise for the first time in November. I have 2 children 12 and 16. I was just wondering, if my husband and I get separate from the kids while onboard how do we contact each other? I have told my kids that they can go do things without us but they have to stick together. Does anyone have any suggestions about this?:D TY for ur help

Sticky notes in the cabin or on the door. It's really not that hard to keep in touch. Even though ships are large a majority of the space is non-public space - cabins, working space where passengers don't go. You'll be surprised how quickly you work out a sort of schedule. You'll find yourself running into each other quite often.

Hi Tara,

Congratulations on booking your first cruise! I know you will enjoy cruising as much as we all do. You don't say what ship you are sailing but you could look into the kids' clubs onboard; they are separated by ages though and I don't think your kids would be together. Having said that, if you want them to stay together, surely the 16 year old is responsible enough that you don't have to know their whereabouts every minute. A cruise ship is a big place, yes, and it's like a small city and one would exercise caution of course - but it's not so big that you'll never find them.

A pre-arranged meeting time and place is a good idea; maybe you can all hook up for lunch or afternoon snacks. A small dry-erase board in the cabin would work, and the previously mentioned sticky notes. Someone may come along here soon and recommend walkie-talkies, but I find they can be annoying to fellow passengers with their static and limited range.

Hope you have fun. :)

you make make tentative plans for the day....then, you will know where everyone is supposed to be! If plans change, leave a note in the cabin or a message on the cabin phone!

You will find that everyone will gravitate to the same places over and over and over...it's not as hard as you might think to find each other! I swear!!!!

I wouldn't let my kid's "roam"...they should be able to go from point A to point B.,..but if they want to go elsewhere, they would need to COME TO ME, PHYSICALLY and tell me. Roaming is NOT good.

Edited by cb at sea

Hi all.... My family and I are going on a cruise for the first time in November. I have 2 children 12 and 16. I was just wondering, if my husband and I get separate from the kids while onboard how do we contact each other? I have told my kids that they can go do things without us but they have to stick together. Does anyone have any suggestions about this?:D TY for ur help

They can use a ship's phone to call cabin and leave a message.

Messages can be picked up on cabin phone.

If you have an idea of where you'll be during day, they could check in with you.

Personally I wouldn't expect a 12 year old and 16 year old to have to hang out together on the ship. Doesn't the 12 year old want to use kids' club at all?

Won't the 16 year old be making some onboard friends?

The kids won't go far. Believe me when I say that they will want to get away from you. They are on vacation too. Different ages and will find friends that they will associate with. It's amazing how many times that you will run into them around the ship. (if you see them first and they don't turn around. :eek:)

Set meal times and where to meet up. No excuse. Bed time, no excuse. Excursions? Set the rules. Other than that, you just need to force yourself to let go. They have grown fledgling wings and want to fly. Let them know what is expected and the manners of young folks around the ship that are expected by adults. Great many lifes lessons to be learned in a short time and with their young minds, they will absorb them quickly. :cool:

Have a great cruise. Harry

The kids won't go far. Believe me when I say that they will want to get away from you. They are on vacation too. Different ages and will find friends that they will associate with. It's amazing how many times that you will run into them around the ship. (if you see them first and they don't turn around. :eek:)

Set meal times and where to meet up. No excuse. Bed time, no excuse. Excursions? Set the rules. Other than that, you just need to force yourself to let go. They have grown fledgling wings and want to fly. Let them know what is expected and the manners of young folks around the ship that are expected by adults. Great many lifes lessons to be learned in a short time and with their young minds, they will absorb them quickly. :cool:

Have a great cruise. Harry

Great advice.

But also keep in mind the thousands of people on a ship are the same as in any community. What precautions you have taught your children should be observed aboard. People are people and those with poor behavior, it travels with them....

You and your family are sure to have a wonderful experience. Enjoy.

I believe your kids will be in two different kids' groups so you might want to allow them to hang separately, with kids in their groups rather than have to spend all their time together. Usually on most mass market cruises (at least the cruises we've been on), it seems there's an orientation the first night and that's a good time for kids to meet the others. This is especially good for teens. My daughter didn't want to spend much time in the teen room when she was 13 and 15, but she met teens her age and spent the time with them.

As for keeping in touch, we found leaving messages on the desk worked. Sometimes my hubby would tape a note to the outside side of the door as to where he was going, and then one of us would reply. There's also phones all around the ship that you can use to leave a message on your cabin phone.

And as someone said, it's not hard to run into someone even when not looking for them. This happened quite a bit the last two cruises -- one time I felt a tap on my head while I was watching a movie poolside and it was my girl passing by with her group.

Set aside a time that your kids need to return to the cabin (maybe for dinner) or times for them to check in with you. Tell them basic rules to follow (don't go into others' cabins, watch their drinks, etc.). Tell them if you find them in violation of the rules, they'll find themselves a new cruise mate (you).

And I would agree on the walkie talkies. Annoying to other passengers and may not work everywhere on the ship.

We always arrange meet up's, say Lunch or Afternoon Tea, or a Drink at set times and places, even when it's just the two of us even more important when there are a few of you in different cabins.

But as others have said there aren't really that many places to check.