Extra charge on flights booked through RCL

So my wife and I booked our flights to leave from Salt Lake City and land at Hobby Airport and once we booked it we did it through Royal Caribbean and we looked and we noticed that when I went on to look at the cost of the flight and information from American Airlines it was $30 cheaper. I called Royal Caribbean to see if there's a way to get a refund on this and come to find out that they charge an additional $15 per person in the United States to fly because if you miss your Cruise because of a plane being late or something else the $15 is kind of an insurance that will allow you to be put up into a nice hotel and then they will fly you to the your for the first destination that you should. That kind of cool, wish they would have told me before, but glad it's there.

We've found that Royal's Air2Sea is generally more expensive than the airline's web sites for domestic flights. However, for one-way international flights, Air2Sea is usually much less expensive than the airline's web sites.

It was weird when I booked our flights into Houston using ChoiceAir. The search defaulted to IAH, and was nearly $100 more per person than when I changed it to HOU. It then showed flights into both airports. We ultimately booked for about a total of $100 less than we could find anywhere else.

It was weird when I booked our flights into Houston using ChoiceAir. The search defaulted to IAH, and was nearly $100 more per person than when I changed it to HOU. It then showed flights into both airports. We ultimately booked for about a total of $100 less than we could find anywhere else.

Are you saying that Choice Air had domestic flights less expensive than the airline's website?

That's what I was trying to say, yes. I guess I took the scenic route. Lol

That's interesting, I've never seen that before. I guess I'll have to check their prices more often.

Fine print at the bottom of Air2sea,on first page.

*Royal Caribbean AIR2SEA is available to be booked online for residents of the U.S. and Canada only. Guests residing outside the U.S. and Canada should contact their local office for availability of AIR2SEA or other air travel programs. A non-refundable service fee applies per guest: $15 for North American destinations or $25 for International destinations.

**Our Royal Caribbean AIR2SEA; Low Fare Guarantee ensures you will enjoy the lowest available rate on your base airfare when you book with AIR2SEA. If you find a lower fare within 24 hours of booking, you will receive 110% of the difference applied to your cruise booking as an onboard credit to spend onboard. The lower price must be available for purchase. Program terms and conditions apply.

I booked my airfare for JetBlue through the airline itself for our cruise, however i checked the cost for the sames flights on AIR2SEA and found them to be pretty much around the same price give or take $10.

I thought they would be much more expensive, but not in my case.

TG

We've found that Royal's Air2Sea is generally more expensive than the airline's web sites for domestic flights. However, for one-way international flights, Air2Sea is usually much less expensive than the airline's web sites.

Bob, that's what we have found as well.

We are probably going to start checking Air2Sea for 'multiple cities' or 'open jaw' flights for TA, TP, or re-positioning. Delta now prices them at full fare. :eek:

I booked our flights on United directly without thinking of air to sea. Afterwards, I remembered air to sea and checked their prices. They were exactly what I paid on United and I didn't get the quarantee to get me to the ship.

My flights were about $250 cheaper each through Air2Sea/Choice Air than either directly through United or on Priceline, but as Clarea said, I'm flying internationally (NJ to Barcelona).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 8 months later...

When you do an initial search on Air2Sea, the price you see posted is not the price you will pay if you were to actually book that flight; except nowhere on that website are you informed that there is a processing fee to be added to your final cost ($15 domestic and $25 international. Thus, when you go to actually book a flight on Air2Sea, you will inevitably see a higher cost than that listed when you did a simple search to see what was available. Many customers will just assume they missed the lower fare due to the often fluid nature of air fare rates. Not so; the higher cost of the air ticket you wish to purchase is the processing fee but again, no where on the website are you told this. You are only told about the processing fee when you receive a written confirmation of you ticket. I am disappointed Royal Caribbean does not clearly disclose these fees to their customers until after a purchase is made.

When you do an initial search on Air2Sea, the price you see posted is not the price you will pay if you were to actually book that flight; except nowhere on that website are you informed that there is a processing fee to be added to your final cost ($15 domestic and $25 international. Thus, when you go to actually book a flight on Air2Sea, you will inevitably see a higher cost than that listed when you did a simple search to see what was available. Many customers will just assume they missed the lower fare due to the often fluid nature of air fare rates. Not so; the higher cost of the air ticket you wish to purchase is the processing fee but again, no where on the website are you told this. You are only told about the processing fee when you receive a written confirmation of you ticket. I am disappointed Royal Caribbean does not clearly disclose these fees to their customers until after a purchase is made.

That has not been my experience with multiple flight puchases on Air2Sea. The quoted price has always included the processing fee.

If you are before final payment, you can cancel the flight from RCI and book your own (usually) cheaper!

Once you purchase your airline ticket it is the rules of the fare. Some allow cancellation but most charge a hefty fee to change your flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fine print at the bottom of Air2sea,on first page.

*Royal Caribbean AIR2SEA is available to be booked online for residents of the U.S. and Canada only. Guests residing outside the U.S. and Canada should contact their local office for availability of AIR2SEA or other air travel programs. A non-refundable service fee applies per guest: $15 for North American destinations or $25 for International destinations.

This is interesting as I have used air2sea at least 8 times in the past four years and I do not live in the US or Canada.

My experience with Air2Sea has been always more expensive than booking directly through the airlines including domestic, international, round trip and one way tickets. The price shown on initial screen was never the same as quoted by the representative.

I guess you have to decide if you need that extra blanket of coverage with delays and trying to make to the ship on time.

My experience with Air2Sea has been always more expensive than booking directly through the airlines including domestic, international, round trip and one way tickets. The price shown on initial screen was never the same as quoted by the representative.

I guess you have to decide if you need that extra blanket of coverage with delays and trying to make to the ship on time.

FWIW, I have an Air2Sea one-way fare of $280 from Barcelona to Melbourne, FL on Air France and Delta. That same flight through Delta is $2,530. :eek:

And it does include the $15 pp surcharge.

Edited by John&LaLa

Not our experience at all. We've used Air2Sea about a half-dozen times for one-way flights from the US to Europe and the cost has always been way lower than booking direct with the airline. Current example to Rome: United's website: $2600, Air2Sea (same exact United flight): $455.

FWIW, I have an Air2Sea one-way fare of $280 from Barcelona to Melbourne, FL on Air France and Delta. That same flight through Delta is $2,530. :eek:

And it does include the $15 pp surcharge.

Trying to get a round trip flight to Barcelona. Haven't considered Melbourne but will look into. Do you know how much Long Term parking per day?

Edited by troykahack