Gratuities

Ginny10

Hi, we have a cruise booked next year for myself, my husband and 4 children. We would like to tip individuals but obviously don't want the staff that are more behind the scenes to miss out. My question is do you think it would be acceptable to remove the gratuities on one room and use this to tip individuals and leave the gratuities on the other room?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, we have a cruise booked next year for myself, my husband and 4 children. We would like to tip individuals but obviously don't want the staff that are more behind the scenes to miss out. My question is do you think it would be acceptable to remove the gratuities on one room and use this to tip individuals and leave the gratuities on the other room?

No. Leave the auto tips in place. If you feel anyone went above and beyond, then give them a bit extra but do not give extra cash to some while shorting others.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Some people don't tip. I do. Some people remove tips and tip in cash, I don't. If it were me, I would not remove any auto gratuities. I would tip above and beyond that if I wanted to tip particular people. So while it isn't what I would do, yes, I think it's acceptable to remove the gratuities.

Welcome to CC. You will find that this a seriously controversial subject.

My view is that you should regard the auto gratuities as a service charge and leave that in place.

Others may contribute to this thread with a different opinion of course.

I don't understand....

Why would you do this?

Because I initially planned to remove and tip individuals, I know people do this but as I said didn't want the behind the scenes staff to not receive any tip. In an ideal world I would leave the gratuities on both rooms and tip individuals generously however that's not a financial option for us.

Because I initially planned to remove and tip individuals, I know people do this but as I said didn't want the behind the scenes staff to not receive any tip. In an ideal world I would leave the gratuities on both rooms and tip individuals generously however that's not a financial option for us.

The only ways to tip the behind the scenes staff is to either prepay or leave the auto gratuities in place.

I'm thinking she would like to tip the individuals personally that she interacts with on a daily basis during her holiday but as she's already said doesn't want the people who also works hard to not receive any tip. And that comment is exactly what made me think twice about asking a question, shame really that these forums are here for this but people are made to feel they can't ask questions in fear of negative people commenting

If you remove the tips from one room, but leave them on the other, you're giving reduced tips up front, so using the tips from the room you removed to tip in cash isn't tipping "above," what is customary, but is just bringing you back to where you started. I understand if you can't afford to go above and beyond, but then just leave the auto tips in place. That ensures everybody gets what is customary and nobody gets short changed.

I'm thinking she would like to tip the individuals personally that she interacts with on a daily basis during her holiday but as she's already said doesn't want the people who also works hard to not receive any tip. And that comment is exactly what made me think twice about asking a question, shame really that these forums are here for this but people are made to feel they can't ask questions in fear of negative people commenting

If you only want positive people or positive replies you should probably just cancel your internet. The world is not all butterflies and rainbows. Sometimes people have a negative opinion of what others do. Who cares? What do you want to do? If you want to remove them, remove them. Why are you trying to make everyone else happy. Are you happy?

Tell us more about why you want to tip individuals?

I think that my biggest concern here if I were in your shoes would be ensuring that the windjammer wait staff was compensated. With 4 kids - your family would likely be using that facility often and that means the daily gratuities are the best way to accomplish ensuring that they are rewarded for their efforts.

Also - in the event that gratuities are removed from a room, and someone is then tipped cash, they are obligated to turn that cash into the tip pool to be shared in the same way that the daily charges are.

If a room steward or waiter went above and beyond during your cruise and you REALLY feel you want to thank them - I'm sure you can find a way to give them (2-4 people max) $20 and a thank you note without blowing the budget . The most important thing to them should be to mention them by name in your post cruise survey or to the ship staff leaders while on board. That should also help them earn rewards from Royal (better shifts, time off, better rooms etc).

Without knowing why you want to tip in cash - my advice is to just enjoy your cruise, be polite, say please and thank you, pay the daily gratuities, and send positive reviews by name for those that you feel deserve it. Put $80 and a few envelopes aside incase you feel the need to award additional thanks via a tip and only hand them out if truly warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I think the goal here (and this is usually the case and why these threads become so contentious) is that someone wants to keep a little more moola in their pocket. Never want to express that openly, but c'mon, why buck the system? Leave the gratuities in place and have a nice cruise. And, should someone go "above and beyond" dig a little and send them a few $ their way.

After listening to the useful advice I will probably be leaving it on both rooms. So my next question is would you tip each day, I'm thinking you will have a lot of interaction with your room attendant so would you tip him/her extra each day, at the end?

If you ask for opinions on an opinion site (forum), you cannot expect all opinions to agree with you, that is not how this works. If you just want people to agree with you, then ask your stuffed animals.

While some people attack, I did not see people here saying op is a horrible person, or anything of the like. People just said they would not do it themselves, but the op has the right to do it. This is why discussion forums exist.